A small change to food system

Hi

I’m not sure exactly how to link a mod, so I’ll just direct you to the branch on Git and hopefully someone can tell me the “official” way to do this.
https://github.com/Heruedhel/Cataclysm-DDA/tree/AOTest

This Mod encourages players to eat different kinds of food, instead of sticking to only one kind. If you eat one item of food exclusively (e.g. “cooked meat”) The nutritional and enjoyability values of this dish are halved for you. conversly, if you tend to eat different different foods all the time you can get up to a 50% increases in their nutrition and enjoyability values.

If you alternate between only two types of food, you’ll get more or less their standard values as they are right now.

Go to this link to submit a pull request: https://github.com/Heruedhel/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/new/AOTest

One a PR is submitted it will be reviewed and tested for merging into master.

ninja’d by desrik about Git.

I will just say I like the change.

I’m sure a lot of work has been done on this and all, but I sincerely hope this doesn’t make it into master.

Heh :slight_smile: I almost submitted the PR myself. Then I figured it would be better to teach than to do… You know the whole give a man a fish thing… lol

Honestly I like it. Nobody likes eating the same things all the time.

With that said, personally I would like to see this effect nulled if the player has the Gourmand trait.

Well the morale thing is nice and makes sense. And I like it alot.

However nutrition being lowered doesn’t, not because you have only eaten meat for the last two weeks will your body become less efficient at digesting it; sure you’ll certainly get sick from it if you did it but that’s not the best way to simulate it.

Yeah, I mentioned as much in the discussion thread. Still, after some reflection, at least it isn’t as overcomplicated as Patton’s idea, or as crippling as Ratinod’s one. I’d still prefer if this doesn’t make it in, though.

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:7, topic:4218”]Well the morale thing is nice and makes sense. And I like it alot.

However nutrition being lowered doesn’t, not because you have only eaten meat for the last two weeks will your body become less efficient at digesting it; sure you’ll certainly get sick from it if you did it but that’s not the best way to simulate it.[/quote]

If you are plain sick of meat, you aren’t going to want to eat it. So when you are forced to, you remove ‘every’ little bad thing about the meat. If you haven’t had meat in a while you won’t mind the gristle and such. As such you would probably get proportionally less food from it. Or you character just throws some of the meat out being ‘full’

This more seems like a preference thing than any. It should be mod than to be merged into the mainline.

Personally IRL I don’t have a problem with eating the same type of food over and over again, I’ve been doing that for years. It would hurt me more if I would change my eating habit, opposite to what you are saying. Especially if we are talking about the apocalypse here, someone is ought to eat the same type of food for longer periods of time.

Diversity in food ≠ happiness.

Maybe the Gourmand trait would be able to mitigate the penalty? Although I should reiterate that I do not want this merged in. Also, where were all these voices of reason during the discussion thread?

Hi

Sorry, my internet connection went down right after I submitted the mod so I couldn’t reply to the comments.
I think my mod is a nice addition, but I totally understand other people’s points against it. That is why I prefer it stay a mod for the time being and not be shoved down anyone’s throat. I will not submit a PR unless I feel people and maybe developers feel it should be included.

Now for the sake for argument, would removing the nutrition penalty make this solution more acceptable?

Yeah, I think I’d have less of an issue with that. This nutrition system seems a rather ham-fisted way of going about things.

I think I like the way you put it first, if you eat say meat for a week and it loses half its nutrients.

The half thing may not be the right amount but I think this works because you could:

A) Use this to simulate the nutrition you lose from skipping other food sources

or

B) Track nutrition with a hidden state bar and have a complicated relationship between all foods based on what you have/haven’t eaten, how much of it ect… just to say you still lose x nutrition because you only ate meat all month.

@deadmerits: yeah, point 1 is how I think about it, however your point 2 has been suggested in the discussion that spawned this mod. If you’re interested in contributing to that idea please visit http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=4368.90

I’ll try it when I get home and give you my feedback later. Thanks for spending time to make this mod!

[quote=“gtaguy, post:9, topic:4218”][quote=“John Candlebury, post:7, topic:4218”]Well the morale thing is nice and makes sense. And I like it alot.

However nutrition being lowered doesn’t, not because you have only eaten meat for the last two weeks will your body become less efficient at digesting it; sure you’ll certainly get sick from it if you did it but that’s not the best way to simulate it.[/quote]

If you are plain sick of meat, you aren’t going to want to eat it. So when you are forced to, you remove ‘every’ little bad thing about the meat. If you haven’t had meat in a while you won’t mind the gristle and such. As such you would probably get proportionally less food from it. Or you character just throws some of the meat out being ‘full’[/quote]

Sure, you’ll do that if for example had a nice breakfast this morning (which of course consisted of nice cooked meat); but this is an apocalypse scenario thing and no one can afford to eat in the same way as we are accustomed to and you’ll be luck if you got to eat a good meal and a little snack everyday; and you are going to be hungry most of the time, and mind you not hungry of I didn’t ate my breakfast today, real hunger (Aka you haven eaten enough in 48+ hours) and once you are in that state you really don’t care if that piece of meat is all sinewy, greasy and full of veins; you only care about the fact that it is food and that you have it on your hands.

And sure you’ll not enjoy eating it, but you are going to eat itnonetheless.

Ok, I wonder how long one could survive on cooked meat alone? Most likely 24 days or so.

I could see this leading to a character weight system which could be use for all sorts of fun stuff :slight_smile: I’m thinking pressure plates that would require a certain weight to trigger, but not necessarily meaning that the player would have to be that weight…

You can’t float in water if you carry a lot of weight.