A history of Cataclysm development from 2010 to yesterday

How do, folks,

Yesterday evening, Shoes came by the IRC and pointed us to a video made by OpenXCom team showing off their project’s development history, built out of the data in their revision control history and using a tool called Gource to show it off.

Inspired by that, and having a spare machine I could leave running overnight, and with Kevin Granade’s help in finding some good values for the tunables, I’ve created a video that does basically the same thing for CDDA!

Here’s the video description, for the lazy:

This video shows off the history of the Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead project, which can be found at http://en.cataclysmdda.com/

It starts in late 2010, when the great and powerful Whales · GitHub began work on the then-plainly named Cataclysm, and takes us to the moment when it became the Dark Days Ahead project (at around 3:20 in the video) and many, many more people started contributing.

By the time of this posting, the project has had 271 contributors who have made 21,225 commits totalling more than 180,000 lines of code. To all of you: we’re super-grateful for your time and effort spent in making CDDA the best it can be! And to everyone who’s played the game: we really hope you’ve enjoyed it, and keep telling us when you find bugs!

The visualization was made with Gource, whose official homepage is at https://code.google.com/p/gource/. In the video, each bubble is a file in the Cataclysm: DDA source code repository, and each branch is a different folder where files are stored. Whenever someone flies by and zaps a file, it means they did something with that file.

The command that created this visualization was: xvfb-run -a -s “-screen 0 1280x720x24” gource -1280x720 -r 30 --auto-skip-seconds 1 --seconds-per-day 1 -o - | avconv -y -r 60 -f image2pipe -vcodec ppm -s 1280x720 -i - -vcodec libx264 -s 1280x720 -preset fast -pix_fmt yuv420p -crf 10 -threads 0 -bf 0 gource.mp4

Wow, that looked beautiful, thank you for doing this!

And it also gives a dimension of how much work and people put and have put into making CataDDA into what it is today.

Thank y’all guys.

Well damn. I’m impressed.

so many pepole worked/work on this O_O

That’s a busy little hive we have there. :slight_smile:

3:01 TheDarklingWolf appears
3:20 Kevin Granade appears
6:12 some of my own contributions

I wish actual game development was all the devs shooting laser-beams at multicolored dots. That would be really cool.

In all seriousness, though, this really gave me insight into the insane amount of work it took to make the game.

Looks impressive.

This thing’s awesome.

There’s also about a dozen incarnations of me scattered around it, because I was using several different computers each with their own git setups.

[quote=“Zireael, post:5, topic:7287”]That’s a busy little hive we have there. :slight_smile:

3:01 TheDarklingWolf appears
3:20 Kevin Granade appears
6:12 some of my own contributions[/quote]

I spotted myself too. Feels good. e: and of course thanks more making the video Narc, it was everything I hoped it would be!

You have no idea how pleased I am that people enjoyed it! We’ll make another one of these next year (probably starting from where this one ends) and it’ll be all the cooler!

[me=StopSignal]cries of joy (?[/me]