.357 Magnum weapons/ammo

I’m not sure why this wasn’t in Cataclysm to begin with.

.357 Magnum is one of the most common and popular revolver rounds available, and is often regarded as an excellent self-defense round. Its power against a human body is considerable, and is called the “gold standard” of stopping power and an “extremely reliable one shot stopper”.

Now, a few issues could arise for gameplay, due to the fact that .38 ammo could be loaded into a .357 revolver in reality, but you can’t do that in the game. Another problem is than .357 Magnum shouldn’t just be made another ammo variant for .38; .357 operates at a significantly higher pressure than the .38 round, meaning that trying to shoot .357 Magnum ammo out of a .38 Special revolver could have potentially disastrous results.

For actual in-game performance, damage and recoil should probably be somewhere in between .38 Special and .44 Magnum. That’s just a rough estimate, though.

Two weapons to use .357 Magnum ammo:

Colt Python (revolver)
6 rounds, reloaded one round at a time
A .357 Magnum revolver. It was fairly common with some Southern police forces in the 1950s and 60s, and was incredibly popular for target shooting, being available with various barrel lengths and grip types.

Winchester Model 1894 (rifle)
7 rounds, reloaded one round at a time
One of the most popular hunting rifles available, the Winchester 1894 is made in dozens of different calibers and cartridges, and is used for both hunting and Cowboy Action Shooting. This particular model is chambered for .357 Magnum.

I’d make this all myself, but I know very little in the way of C++ programming.

Yeah, I think .357 should be added, its definitely an iconic caliber, and the whole .38 special being able to be used in weapons chambered for .357 would be neat.

[quote=“pikdome, post:2, topic:935”]the whole .38 special being able to be used in weapons chambered for .357 would be neat.[/quote]Unfortunately, I don’t think that’s possible with the current game engine limitations.

Why not?
Just make it a usable ammo kinda like how the Shotgun has multiple ammo types

[quote=“Vexification, post:4, topic:935”]Why not?
Just make it a usable ammo kinda like how the Shotgun has multiple ammo types[/quote]

Yes, it’s possible if you make it a different kind of .38 special with different stats, but that would mean you could fire it in .38 special guns with no consequences.

I’m a big fan of .357’s, especially the Colt Python. I would love this :D.

One thing that could be done about the .357 into .38 is have “Not to be used in .38 weapons as this will damage the weapon” added to the description.

Whether it does or not doesn’t matter. Honour code and stuff.
Or you could have “Not to be used in .38 weapons as this will damage the weapon (Okay not in Cata but it would in real life, so please don’t abuse the (flawed) items system)”

Who needs immersion? E:I

If the weapon uses .38, the weapon gets more and more damaged until it blows up, destroying both arms, damaging the body and misfiring :3

Fire medium cal pistol
Arms blows off

Oh RNG, you so crazy.

But that raises the question.

Why aren’t weapons made to degrade yet?
The whole “Degrade? Y/N?” thing like with furniture and trees and shrubs and…?

I think the problem is whether the .357 would serve a real purpose. as it stands some people feel there are too many guns, others don’t think there are enough.

Find a place for it among the guns we already have…is it really needed?

[font=impact]I say add an option (every thing needs more options always) to go between (too many guns and Gun Pron) and (Two of each type(Accurate & powerful))

Same as Jagged Alliance 1.13

Don’t know what the f*** the difference is between 7.62x38 and 7.62 tokarev? Choose Basic guns.
Are you worried that people don’t know the difference between a rifle cartridge and a 25mm pistol round? Choose tons’o’guns.

It should just need another Spawn sheet for the new mode(s).

The basic system should have 2 guns (accurate and (strong or High cap)) of each major calibre ((9mm, 45) (5.56 and 7.62) etc)
My suggestions

Pistols
9mm
Beretta 92 (accurate and High cap\heavy)
Glock (17) (Lighter\ only 8 rounds)
Glock (something) (massive magazine, inaccurate in burst)

Browning High power (13 rounds\ heavy)
USP .45 (Accurate light\ 12 rounds)

SMG
9mm
MP5 (accurate)
(mini)Uzi (lighter)

UMP .45 (accurate)
Tommygun (Large mag, swag bonus)

Assault rifle
M4 (accurate)
AK-74 (45 round mag)

AK-47 (30 round, rapid fire)
SKS (accurate, not rapid fire)

Rifles
Nagant (battle rifle)
Savage (sniper rifle)

Heavy
LAW (rocket launcher\ heavy)
Milkor MGL (Grenade launcher, re-useable)

Where would I put this post for it to get noticed?[/font]

suggested. goes back to the Too much vs Too little argument. personally i’m all for having a slew of firearms but I see someone without a background in them fumbling with all of the different caliber’s and uses.

suggested. goes back to the Too much vs Too little argument. personally i’m all for having a slew of firearms but I see someone without a background in them fumbling with all of the different caliber’s and uses.[/quote]

[font=impact][size=12pt]
Cheers!

Yeah I only found out about the .223 going into 5.56x38’s about 3 weeks ago…I hate nogunz Australia…We know about the wildlife, teach us about the guns!

Most of my knowledge comes from STALKER (modded), JA 1.13, /k/ and discovery channel when I was a kid. War doco’s and such.

I think that that guy who was adding guns has the right idea, make sure they are unique or noteworthy. If everything is same-y then there is no point to having the choice. Too much of a good thing is still too much.[/size][/font]

[font=comic sans ms]
Personall, I think there are too many. But I can see that gun enthusists would support the counter claim and say there are too few. So my solution that I use whenever I go into a Gun Store is to just grab all the ammo, then just go over to the gun racks and see if any of the ammo will fit any of the guns. If there are multiples, then I just grab them both and compare with I. Easy enough for me, and has worked fine until now.
[/font]

on topic, there’s already a .44 magnum. another middle ground magnum would be negligible. a revolver at that.

One of the reasons I support a large amount of ammo and gun types is for that annoying but completely plausible problem of having lots of ammo, just not the type you need. Making being able to assemble/disassemble ammo a bigger boon.