Your biggest faction camp

Clearing a forest tile takes a long time, because the NPC has to walk out to the tile, cut down the trees, and cart the logs backs in a series of trips.

I will add a “clear forest” mission in which the NPC just cuts down trees and stumps without clearing or removing the trunks. Should be pretty straightforward and useful.

On the other hand clearing a forest with an NPC produces a huge pile of logs and removes what I consider one of the most tedious tasks in the game. I’d say getting tired of log hauling is my number 1 cause of debug wishing, up until I get to the stage where my NPCs can do it.

Now I need a better way to get mountains of short ropes…

Actually, mlangsdorf, good time to mention: NPC camps don’t accept wire as an ingredient in palisade walls, but it’s part of the construction recipe. Since wires are far easier to obtain en masse than short ropes, it’d be very nice if this were fixed.

(Edit, btw I tested forest clearing myself yesterday and did indeed make an overmap field path through the forest

1 Like

Thanks for all the info guys. I’ll try the faction camp when I’m done with my current mission. Its currently winter and I’m farming ants for their offal, meat and stomachs for food reserves and storing everything in an ice lab. Now that I think about it perhaps I’m overdoing it, I have over 20000 fresh (frozen) chunks of meat and I’m still not satisfied… eh oh well…

20,000? Like 20k? Yeah I think you’re fine on meat products. You might want to vary up your diet and get some other vitamins though. Unless you’re playing with simplified nutrition in which case I guess you can just roll around in piles of ant gore and happily stuff your face.

I think you misunderstood me. This anthill is not my main source of food. I’m just doing this mission because I’m a hoarder (food or otherwise). My main base has huge farms all around it plus I have 85 cows including calves. Just to give an example of my hoarding, i have 40000+ oats, 5000+ barley, 5000+ wheat, 50000+ seasoned salt, 60000+ chili peppers, 50000+ wild herbs, 10000+ powdered eggs, 5000+ powdered milk, 400+ jars of canned veggies/meat/picked foods/v8, over 20K dehydrated meat/veggies, crapton of frozen V8, etc, etc. I can make pretty much all food in the game. The only I’m missing is the recipe for tenderloins. I’m wondering if that was also disabled as well since I haven’t found it yet. So I’m eating pretty well, mainly grilled cheese sandwiches, deluxe sandwiches, lasagne, v8, haggis, pizzas and irish coffee. BTW, I have nutrition enabled plus NPC needs enabled. Though my poor NPCs are surviving on dehydrated food because it expires now :stuck_out_tongue:

Surely there are others who hoard as much as me (or even more)?

Edit: That is why I don’t mind doing the faction camp. Trading food for labor is fine with me considering it takes waaaaaay too long to do some things such as cut down trees or build stuff. A lot of cooking things like brewing takes waaaaay too long as well, even if you have lots of NPCs helping.

3 Likes

You need a camp just to be a food sink. Here I thought my thousand plus smoked meats were excessive.

1 Like

Holy hell I thought I was bad filling crates of flour. You have enough food to feed an army. So your goals certainly aren’t unattainable. My god man.

1 Like

You’re an inspiration. Never let anyone tell you otherwise.

2 Likes

What I want to know is where the hell you found that many cows. I haven’t even SEEN one yet.

1 Like

You can find cows and other things at ranch. Moreover, cows produce a fertilizer

1 Like

Cows will reproduce, so you only really need to find one set and wait.

1 Like

Well, I don’t have anywhere near that much food (though I’m working on it, I just hit the first growing season, I’m playing with 90 day seasons). I’ve mostly been focused on weapons, ammo, explosives, and CBMs.

I’m sitting on about 3,540 lbs of ammo and explosives. and 3,200 lbs worth of guns (something like 200+). I’ve got a LOT more materials for potential ammo though; I disassembled a whole bunch to make specific types, but I quit once I discovered you can’t disassemble reloaded ammo. Got roughtly 334 CBMs laying around as well.

I’m planning to make my own army of super soldiers. At this point I just need more NPCs.

1 Like

Where do you get all that ammo? I can’t seem to get a decent stockpile of anything but 9mm going.

Hit up gun shops, obviously, and labs. Labs have barracks in them which have armories full of ammo. Most labs will have two or three of these to house the military guards, and clearing a couple of labs will get you crazy amounts of ammo.
I don’t bother carrying more than a fraction to the surface anymore, because the Sun Wave’s munitions and weapons cargo spaces are full.

Yeah if you want ammo then lab armories and gun stores are your best bet.

I created a thread about this a while back about not find dairy farms in my world. You can go read if you want. But in short I removed ‘More Locations’ mod (most likely culprit) and increased chances of Dairy Farms in one of the .json files. After those changes dairy farms started appearing. I haven’t found any animals on ranches so that may be a bug if cows are supposed to spawn there. I also made changes to mammal.json to calves so that they can be instantly tamed by giving them fodder. Other than that the cows reproduced as others have mentioned. Still think there are issues with location spawning though.

I think you have a lot more ammo, guns and CBMs than I do. Although I should note I stopped collecting them after the 10-15 lab barracks raid. Got boring/tedious after a while since my main weapon is the pneumatic crossbow that has 8 bolts. I also carry around a UPS laser rifle and a pulse cannon as backup. Before that I used the shotgun as backup.

Lab barracks and gun store are the main sources. Some house basements have them as well. Zombies also drop them if you haven’t noticed. In addition you’ll find guns/ammo on those human corpses on the surface.

Cheater! Editing files isn’t fair. U must abuse bugs and meta and not cheating, filthy cheaty cheater!

I use the ups laser rifle as my primary and a Barrett .50 Anti-material rifle as my secondary. Usually carry a few grenades too.

Surprisingly enough, a good chunk of that ammo was looted from abandoned military vehicles. I’ve got thousands of rounds of .50, .308, and 5.56 from ammo belts obtained during a raid of a national guard base and elsewhere. I’m using default spawns and worldgen settings myself.

Technically, mods change files so does that mean all people who play with mods are cheaters then? If you play with even 1 mod then you are a cheater then, right? Rolls eyes Not going to waste anymore of my time on you…