Would Multiplayer Ever be Possible?

or at least expanded interactions with the AI characters and/or co-op or LAN.
biker gangs and paramilitary clans anyone?

It would take a lot of coding though; as far as I know.

Usualy you go through a lot of turn in a smal time frame. But in intervals not constantly. Meaning if we do not work arround this you coop player would have to wait for you to do your move. And you would have to wait for ypour sleep (other extended action like crafting too) too finish longer as the other player would have to spend all those turns manualy while your fastforwarding (unless he crafts too)

i see a fuckton of problems :stuck_out_tongue:

*doesn t mean i don t want multiplayer . heck i would throw a party if it got realized.

If there were multiplayer it would have to be realtime, like in EUO:
http://euotopia.com/
http://forums.swut.net/

[quote=“Valpo, post:2, topic:8171”]i see a fuckton of problems :stuck_out_tongue:

*doesn t mean i don t want multiplayer . heck i would throw a party if it got realized.[/quote]

QFT’d.

Without a fundamental rewrite (someone claimed xe almost got Cataclysm to load in Unreal Engine??? If so, that’d do nicely) the best we can functionally do is shared maps on a server, and that can break down if folks get too close to each other.

This is one of those ‘hell yeah, that’d be awesome… but not gonna happen’ ideas. For all of the abovementioned reasons and more.

My two cents [size=6pt](and since I’m poor I’ll want them back when you’re done with them, thank you…)[/size] : multiplayer changes the nature of the game.

The idea is not complex; the implications, however, are.

Not quite genre-changing, in my opinion, but certainly a lot more work than reward. After lengthy consideration (a long time ago), I came to the conclusion that making the effort wasn’t worth my time (even though I desperatly wanted to make that effort)… and that if I really wanted to do something like that, it’d probably be better as a mod of another game.

That being said, it is still possible. You’d probably want your ‘players’ to be AI actors whose actions you ‘backseat drive’ rather than control directly (which, of course, takes some of the fun out… and changes the genre and, again, the nature of the game). A major issue, as has been mentioned previously, is the resolution of time as experienced in the game and as experienced by the player. This is a simple problem with a simple solution. We just need to impliment quantum mechanics. I’ll recommend the relevant book as soon as I find it… it’s around here somewhere, but keeps moving when I see it. Supposedly there’s a cat somewhere inside of it. I’ve only really seen the cat’s tail, and that only briefly.

I grant that the unreal engine is one option… [size=6pt]though I’m afraid I preferred the mutilation of minecraft simply because of the existing functionality already present in the code[/size].

Not happening, the overhaul of crafting, fatigue, reading, etc necessary to make multiplayer of any kind work would turn it into a completely new game, one I’m not particularly interested in being involved with. You could write a cataclysm-like game that has multiplayer built in, but you’d need to build it in from the start.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:7, topic:8171”]Not happening, the overhaul of crafting, fatigue, reading, etc necessary to make multiplayer of any kind work would turn it into a completely new game, one I’m not particularly interested in being involved with. You could write a cataclysm-like game that has multiplayer built in, but you’d need to build it in from the start.[/quote]Yeah IIRC EggMcEye who developed EUO made it multiplayer from scratch.

Well I guess we’ll have to make do with advanced AI in the future.

Perhaphs the closest thing to ai could be shared characters, wherine you can put that character file into another one to spawn that said character as an NPC, just hope that npc is not a flame hostile.

There were a lot of topics created in order to discuss this, rather delicate matter.
Without serious overhaul (just like KG wrote) it’s impossible to even test a classic RL in multiplaying enviroment.
You would need another website/server, a branch from the mainline CataDDA and someone to maintain that sort of code. Note that multiplayer games, in my experience, often have substantially more bugs than classic, singleplayer computer games.

When I thought about multiplayer, i came to the idea thaz it needed to be turn based of course. And it would only work with 2 players maximum. Whenever someone crafts something or sleeps, the other one gets a prompt “Help crafting y/n” or "also go to sleep? " if he’s around. This way, one could eliminate some of the long waiting periods.

A multiplayer Cataclysm would have to be real-time (turns happen over set intervals), like TomeNET or MAngband. It could definitely work, though things like sleeping would have to be modified somewhat, cause just watching your character sleep in real time would be boring. Sleeping could even be a hard limit on the amount of time you can play before you are logged off the server.

While real-time breaks the roguelike feel to a certain extent, I’d suggest people try TomeNet or MAngband to see if a real-time roguelike changes the game too much for their liking.

Not only sleeping. Every extended action like crafting dissasembling butchering building treechoping …

*edit: And welcome to the forums.

I have all ways dreamed of CDDA being multiplayer I mean who would not want it.

But I all so see it will never happen it cant…not keeping the same gameplay mechanics any ways :(.

Oh how cool would it be though…

STK droollssss all over keyboard

[quote=“Valpo, post:14, topic:8171”]Not only sleeping. Every extended action like crafting dissasembling butchering building treechoping …

*edit: And welcome to the forums.[/quote]

I would think anything involving menus would just not pause the game, and there would be no time acceleration for the crafting process. If something takes 3 game hours to craft, you’d just have to sit there for however long it takes. Perhaps things could be modified so like unfinished items have a percentage of how much they are done, so if you need to, you resume the task at some later date if you don’t feel like waiting 15 minutes for 3 game hours to pass (or however long it would be).

Some things need to be done continouesly (like heating water for example) but i guess one could make this work for a wide array of actions.
It would still take long then.

If you set timer for turns… well even if they are low the gameplay will slow down by a HUGE ammount.
I can spend hundreds of turns in a matter of a few seconds.
If every turn takes at least 1 sec or so it ll multiply like crazy.
So unless your cautiously sneaking arround in a city your gameplay will be artificialy slowed down to a crawl.

Would you still enjoy the game then ? Is it worth doing all the adjustments in order to try ? :S i am… not sure.

Would you still enjoy the game then ?

Yes. While there might be more annoyance with things like crafting and sleeping, the tradeoff is you can play with real people, go to town together and kill zombies and loot houses and stores, etc. Back at the base-camp, while boiling water and making makeshift-crowbars might not happen instantaneously anymore, at least I could chat with fellow survivors while doing it.

I’m not saying everyone would enjoy the changes. The sitting and thinking over every possible action aspect to roguelikes is gone in TomeNET and MAngband, but they still feel like roguelikes to me. The only downside I can see is universal with multiplayer anything; intentional griefing.

Well griefing wouldn t be aproblem to me because i wouldn t play this game with people i do not know .

Well, i could see the crafting segmented in as a by day thing where you both agree to a certain amount of time on crafting, either that or both people have an npc that they can take control of when one person decides to craft or something. kinda like gta XD