Working up some of the "needful things"

I went through the thread looking for content ideas that could be added without me gaining new hardware or new skills. It was a bit shorter than expected and I’m not 100% sure whether this needs to go through github - it’s just content to go into the .jsons, so I get the impression that’s not entirely necessary.

[spoiler=content for me to try adding to github]Anyway, so this isn’t just a query thread, here’s code for a few additions to the armor.json:

{ "type" : "ARMOR", "id" : "bag_shopping", "name" : "shopping bag", "weight" : 5, "color" : "light_gray", "covers" : ["HANDS"], "to_hit" : -1, "storage" : 16, "symbol" : ")", "description" : "A large plastic bag, suitable for carrying your groceries.", "price" : 5, "material" : ["plastic", "null"], "volume" : 0, "cutting" : 0, "warmth" : 0, "phase" : "solid", "environmental_protection" : 0, "encumbrance" : 1, "bashing" : -6, "coverage" : 4, "flags" : ["BELTED"], "material_thickness" : 1 }, { "type" : "ARMOR", "id" : "armguard_leather", "category" : "armor", "name" : "pair of leather arm guards", "name_plural" : "pairs of leather arm guards", "weight" : 550, "color" : "brown", "covers" : ["ARMS"], "to_hit" : 1, "storage" : 0, "symbol" : "[", "description" : "A pair of arm guards made from thick leather. Good for protecting your forearms from bowstrings and zombies.", "price" : 20000, "material" : ["leather", "null"], "volume" : 8, "cutting" : -5, "warmth" : 15, "phase" : "solid", "environmental_protection" : 1, "encumbrance" : 1, "bashing" : -2, "flags" : ["VARSIZE"], "coverage" : 50, "material_thickness" : 4 }, { "type" : "ARMOR", "id" : "nomex_balaclava", "name" : "flame-resistant balaclava", "weight" : 280, "color" : "light_gray", "covers" : ["HEAD", "MOUTH"], "to_hit" : -5, "storage" : 0, "symbol" : "[", "description" : "A snug fitting garment that protects your head, neck, and the lower part of your face, made from lightweight Nomex fire-resistant fabric. Tough yet breathable, it is light and comfortable to wear under clothing.", "price" : 7500, "material" : ["nomex", "null"], "volume" : 3, "cutting" : 0, "warmth" : 5, "phase" : "solid", "environmental_protection" : 2, "encumbrance" : 0, "bashing" : 0, "flags" : ["VARSIZE", "WATER_FRIENDLY", "SKINTIGHT", "STURDY"], "coverage" : 100, "material_thickness" : 3 }, { "type" : "ARMOR", "id" : "gloves_racing", "name" : "pair of racing gloves", "name_plural" : "pairs of racing gloves", "weight" : 200, "color" : "white", "covers" : ["HANDS"], "to_hit" : -3, "storage" : 0, "symbol" : "[", "description" : "A pair of flame-resistant gloves with leather palms for improved grip. Wearing a pair of these will let you drive at Mach 5!", "price" : 6000, "material" : ["nomex", "leather"], "volume" : 2, "cutting" : 0, "warmth" : 10, "phase" : "solid", "environmental_protection" : 2, "encumbrance" : 0, "bashing" : -3, "flags" : ["STURDY", "VARSIZE", "WATERPROOF"], "coverage" : 100, "material_thickness" : 3 }, { "type" : "ARMOR", "id" : "shoes_racing", "name" : "pair of racing shoes", "name_plural" : "pairs of racing shoes", "weight" : 900, "color" : "white", "covers" : ["FEET"], "to_hit" : 0, "storage" : 0, "symbol" : "[", "description" : "Light, comfortable, and protective, these shoes were favoured by professional auto racers before the end of civilization. Maybe they'll help with your getaways?", "price" : 11000, "material" : ["nomex", "leather"], "volume" : 6, "cutting" : 0, "warmth" : 20, "phase" : "solid", "environmental_protection" : 2, "encumbrance" : 0, "bashing" : -2, "flags" : ["VARSIZE", "STURDY", "WATERPROOF"], "coverage" : 100, "material_thickness" : 3 },

Clearly these need to be incorporated into item_groups (which I can attempt), but I wanted to see if this is an appropriate way to submit such content before going further.[/spoiler]

Github is the way to go.
If you just post json chunks, someone CAN grab them, but you’re adding extra work, so it makes it less likely. I guarantee there’s valid json scattered around the forums that got missed.
Also you don’t get notification when it gets merged.
Finally it makes attribution messy. Git tracks not just what and when of code additions, but also who.

If I knew how to Git I’d help you. Ask people if they could post a PR for you on the IRC for example. That’s how I got most of my stuff PR’d.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:2, topic:6825”]Github is the way to go.
If you just post json chunks, someone CAN grab them, but you’re adding extra work, so it makes it less likely. I guarantee there’s valid json scattered around the forums that got missed.
Also you don’t get notification when it gets merged.
Finally it makes attribution messy. Git tracks not just what and when of code additions, but also who.[/quote]

Alright. I’ll see about working with Git. (If there are problems using it on my old machine, I’ll just stash the content for now and contribute it later.)