Wood Gasifier Engines

I’m thinking that a Wood Gasifier powered car would not be too terribly difficult to make In-Game.

a wood gasifier is basically a sealed metal container filled with wood inside of another UNsealed metal container of wood. the wood in the outer barrel burns while the provided heat causes the wood inside the interior container to release gasses that are channeled to the engine and make the car go. :wink:

This method has been used during both of the last Great Wars (to my knowledge) when resources were diverted to the war effort.

Wood gasifier engines can also be used to power generators and store the energy in battery banks just as a solar panel does. it’s even possible to have a WG and solar panels charging the same Battery Bank at the same time( I believe).

Thoughts?

Seems like it would be ideal-ish for deathmobiles, it’s no totally broken though since it requires stopping to process wood on a VERY regular basis.
I’m not sure what the code to handle it would look like though, it requires having “tanks” containing wood, restricted rate of fuel consumption and lowering power output of the engine compared to gasoline.
It would be a lot simpler if we required conversion of a gasoline engine directly to a wood-burning engine, with dedicated wood tanks.

I’m picturing an engine that runs off of wood, requires a ‘burn chamber’ with nothing else other than frame and roof and in that tile, and a hose(made from rubber hoses) that has to lead from the burn chamber to the engine. the burn chamber would also need to be protected by armor to prevent an explosive leak caused by attacking mobs. wood-gasifier explosions caused by leaks are not fun or pain/blood free.
it’s basically pressurised gas being fed directly into your engine as it’s created and builds up pressure in the interior metal wood-tank.

At one point I had some code that sorta ran properly on a local modified copy.
Given my limited abilities, getting something basic working should not be too hard.
I had some psuedocode sitting around but thankfully I can’t find it so I will spare you that.

In essence the code was setup so that a certain type of part could have inputs, outputs and a conversion rate.

The idea behind this is to allow players to create their own types of systems.

This was intended for a steam engine, but I guess it could be readily adapted.

I’m not a proficient coder in any means, although I can’t see why this wouldn’t work.

I struggled with the vehicle part behavior a lot, my understanding of the codebase is still limited.
Defining parts with json was easy enough to do.

[quote=“wad67, post:4, topic:13366”]At one point I had some code that sorta ran properly on a local modified copy.
Given my limited abilities, getting something basic working should not be too hard.
I had some psuedocode sitting around but thankfully I can’t find it so I will spare you that.

In essence the code was setup so that a certain type of part could have inputs, outputs and a conversion rate.

The idea behind this is to allow players to create their own types of systems.

This was intended for a steam engine, but I guess it could be readily adapted.

I’m not a proficient coder in any means, although I can’t see why this wouldn’t work.

I struggled with the vehicle part behavior a lot, my understanding of the codebase is still limited.
Defining parts with json was easy enough to do.[/quote]

any kind of work that you want to put into making this is greatly appreciated good sir! my coding skill is limited to changing my stats gained on level up in skyrim to a lower number

Oh wow, I can get behind this idea, yeah. Slightly-less-efficient-yet-completely-renewable resources and techniques are some of my favorites to see added to this game.