Winter activities: melting snow for water, snow taffy, building snowmen, throwing snowballs

It can get pretty tough sometimes to carry safe water considering how quickly it freezes. It would be nice to be able to simply melt snow instead of having to always stay nearby a water source or risk dying of thirst since its inconvenient to have to always haul fire starting tools.
For fun you could gather snow for other uses such as making snow taffy like they do in Canada by adding maple syrup to snow, rolling it into snowballs for harmless snow fights or training throwing ability, or for building snowmen for decoration and a slight morale boost.

2 Likes

There is no snow or ice in the game.

Yeah, snow would have to be added before any of this would be possible.

I’m new to the game so I haven’t experienced winter yet, though I do like the ideas you’re suggesting. It’d be cool if you can have christmas lights somehow, however that’d probably attract more attention if its not hidden inside a base. xD

there are snow tiles though. it’d work the same as corpse pits.

I tried to do a snowfall PR - but … it was tricky…
The mechanism to make snow fall in bits and pieces realistically was a bit hacky, it was one of my early contributions, so the code was even more awful than it is now, and the tricks to get it working with tilesets were beyond me.

For example, when it turns winter, in deadpeopletileset, every tile immediately switches to a winter variant, making a system where it only switched to a winter variant when it detected snow on that tile, was full of problems.

However if someone wants to look through the abandoned PR and try and salvage something from it, be my guest - it had a mechanic to pick up snow as an item from the floor, and make snowballs etc.

Perhaps it would be easier if you requested some snow covered tiles from somedeadguy for testing. It’s tricky to work on something when not having the final effect at hand. When I worked on sfx hooks I’d made myself a sound pack because.it was impossible to know if the development went on track without a good way to test it.

My TODO long term goal in this department is adding an indicator in weather system that would tell the game and tile manager that bodies or water are frozen. Separately for shallow and deep, maybe including with moving/stale check. There would be need to add ice item and it’s mechanics somewhere along the way.

I’m pretty interested in this, proper winter survival would be awesome. Snow storms that limit visibility to two tile would be fantastic, the option to make snow holes and bivouac shelters, a proper hypothermia illness, would make winter more than just another season. I might make a branch of this when I get time and the snow system is settled.

Maybe the fungal tiles are something to look at for the graphics?

Graphics is the least concern here.

doesn’t the ground already have a snowy texture already in a few packs?

tbh it kinda was for me.
I got snowing working fine, adding it as a “furniture” covering the ground and it impeding movement, and being able to pick it up and use it.

It just looked really weird, and I couldnt find a way to make it all appear correct.

Yes it does. the game checks for season, and if the season == winter, then it displays the winter variant of each graphic, if the tileset has one.

That would need to be changed so the snow variant is displayed if that particular tile has the snow marker on it. instead of just flipping over on day 1 of winter.

I meant how fungus or blood tiles spread and have edges with the current terrain, in the demo gif the snow covers solid squares.

There is a potential way to simulate this, as a variant of my idea to how to get frozen pools of water. Make a calculation in weather daemon every now and then (once per 12 h perhaps) and retroactively calculate the cumulative temperatures for that time also using the value from before. If they are in negative Celsius values water can freeze. Dump the temperature into a variable and set the boolean global variable “water_is_frozen” to true. Check this boolean every time player examines bodies of water to say it’s frozen and set proper interactions. That’s the right idea, it’d need extra things to work, but it’s decent.

For snow it would need to check if it snowed during the period and if the temperature afterwards hasn’t melted it. The other problem of this would be terrain interaction. Water is simple because it’s pre-existing and already is interactive. Here you’d either have to make many terrains interactive or somehow generate snow. I have an idea for it too. A map extra post processing tool might be executed at overmap square to populate exterior tiles with snow field. Problem here is that you’d have to do it every time such overmap tile enters the reality bubble and do the weather calculation for that tile (as weather changes regionally). This might be daunting for computing power, not to mention fields processing can also add to CPU times. Perhaps some of it can be cached and stored somewhere, but I’m not an expert in the field. This is just a couple of ideas for resolving technical side of the problem rattling in my head for some time. It’s something for Kevin, ZhilkinSerg, perhaps Ralreegorganon with their expertise in mapgen features.

1 Like

Being able to whitewash my npc companion, who keeps stealing my stuff, would be fun…

just turn off item pick ups

That doesn’t stop them from stealing my soul! Can’t trust em with a pile of cotton i tell you what!

1 Like