Winterized Terrain? (You have a strange dream about a white Christmas)

I decided that after all the snow I’d been having in game, there should be some snow on the ground, so I did my first ever JSON hack to turn the dirt and grass tiles white and give them properly wintery names. (Modding 0 (1%))

It got me to thinking whether this sort of thing could be handled automatically, and whether more might be done, like having water turn itself into Ice, bushes turn into Snow-Covered Bushes can’t be lit on fire (you could still Smash them to turn them into Undergrowth which could then be lit), and so on.

And then THAT got me thinking about whether the terrain could have various effects that would interact with different kinds of footwear. Regular snow could be the same as dirt and grass, while Deep Snow could impose a movement penalty unless you have snow-shoes or cross-country skis, which would let you move fast but would make it hard to fight in melee, ice could give you a movement bonus and melee penalty if you wore skates, neutral movement and neutral melee if you wore cleats or ice treads on your boots, and a penalty to both movement and melee if you wore normal shoes…

Just some ideas.

Oh

Oh wait, wait!

:smiley:
There could be snowmen in the construction menu, requires two heavy sticks and must be built on Deep Snow.
And snowballs to throw at zombies!
:smiley:

At the very least this sounds like a holly-day release in the making XD

This is cute and cool both!

They’re all really great ideas!!! I especially like the idea of a movement penalty in snow/boost on ice and the need for snow shoes/skates (which I think are already in game?).

You need to change the mp3 messages to play christmas lyrics.
Snow fort walls in the construction menu anyone?

Ice skates + Ice pools and lakes. Would be fun yes. For like 20 real life minutes maybe :stuck_out_tongue:

Intro message for opening the holiday version:
"It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas!"
Or at least stick that into the mp3 player.
Or the first time it snows during the winter season. :slight_smile:

Really step on that cracked ice? Y/N

From beneath your feet you hear a crack!
From beneath your feet you hear a crack!x2
The ice breaks!
You sink like a stone!

Make sure the weather is colder than -5C or risk the consequences.

Don’t forget zombies freezing over in the winter, like in World War Z. Though that may not suit the lore. I could imagine special Frozen Zombies that smash into pieces on death and are very durable, though.

I’m glad you said very durable because I’ve had to hack up ice that isn’t also full of tough frozen muscle, and holy fuck it’s hard work after a while.

Ice weapons during winter? Ice swords lol, carved from ice blocks gained from icey water after using an ice pick or ice related tool.
Storable in a minifridge after winter?

Ice Ice Ice Ice Ice Ice Ice Ice Ice Ice Ice Ice

I like this idea, more seasonal changes in Cataclysm would be be nice.

[quote=“Cherry, post:8, topic:4285”]Ice weapons during winter? Ice swords lol, carved from ice blocks gained from icey water after using an ice pick or ice related tool.
Storable in a minifridge after winter?

Ice Ice Ice Ice Ice Ice Ice Ice Ice Ice Ice Ice[/quote]

Add in Z levels, be hit by falling ice hazards. …that shit can kill people.