Wilderness Overhaul Mod

Wilderness Overhaul Mod

This mod is only compatible with 0.C Cooper, the experimental builds have been significantly changing things and I’ve been too busy/sick to keep it up to date.

The purpose of this mod is to expand the low tech or ‘naturalist’ playstyle, and was started in this thread. It tweaks fabrication recipes so you can build a fully stocked blacksmith with nothing but raw materials, allows you to plant foraged foods and cuttings from fruit trees, adds herbal medicines, and provides a few basic constructions like firepits that you can use even on the move.

To get the most from the mod, turn the item spawn rate to the low single digits (.03).

Download Link

To Install:

Just place the Wilderness_Overhaul folder into your Cataclysm DDA\data\mods\ folder.

Changelog:

[spoiler]Changes (as of 14 Feb 2015):

Atlatls:
Atlatl craftable at 2 fab/throw
Crude darts and proper darts (with fletching/arrowhead)
Added recipe to bundle some darts up for transport (can also sling over shoulder)
High damage, but very bulky ammo

Tyro Naturalist Profession:
Fur clothing, basic tools, wilderness scenario-ready.

Tool changes:
Added stone adze (wood saw 1)
Added stone mattock (combines stone axe, adze, and shovel)
Removed swage & die requirement from hammer recipe
Crucible now made out of clay
Swage & Die set is now autolearn
Duct tape is now autolearn
Added electric firestarter craftable at 0 electronics. Eats 5 battery/use.
Reduced funnel radius to 125
Added stone mortar & pestle
Clay items are now made in a clay kiln, using charcoal proportional to their craft time
Added fiber rope recipes that use withered plants
Added these ropes to all relevant crafts
Large waterskins can now be attached to vehicles

Herbalism additions:
Made poppy recipes autolearn and upped the difficulties slightly
Added seeds and seed recipe for:
Wild herbs, wild veggies, mushrooms, rhubarb, dry beans, and buckwheat
Dogsbane, which can be harvested for plant fiber
Canola, whose seeds can be pressed for cooking oil
Thyme, which can be processed into wild herbs or made into thyme oil, a disinfectant
Bee Balm (wild bergamot), which can be processed into a tea and drank as dayquil
Mugwort, which can be made into mugwort oil which acts as an antiparasitic
All seeds should take one volume worth of raw material to produce two seeds.

Tree replanting system:
Ripe fruit trees can be ‘cut’ through the construction menu and harvested for cuttings
Cuttings need to be planted into plant pots (through the craft menu), where they will grow for 14 days
Once complete, the sapling can be planted into the ground as a new tree!
The tree will not be able to be harvested until the next harvest season after planting.

Cooking changes:
Added batch time reduction for flour, cornmeal, chitin powder, bone meal
Removed skewer requirement for smoked meat and smoked fish

Construction changes:
Made clay mounds break into shallow water rather than deep water
Added recipe and furniture to construct a forge out of rocks
Added recipe and furniture to build a fire pit and upgrade it with a stone pot
Added recipe and furniture to build a makeshift fence that uses no nails / is worse than regular wooden fence
Added recipe and furniture to build a smoking rack, which functions as a charcoal smoker
Added recipe, furniture, and item definition to build a clay kiln for recipes involving clay[/spoiler]

Future Plans:

I’m still looking to add more cooking recipes that use foraged foods (rhubarb in particular is pretty worthless at the moment), but I’m starting to run out of ideas that can be achieved solely through JSON editing.

I have a few more ideas that require tweaking code that I’d like to add in the future, like sundials, weakened effects from herbal medicine, wooden dowels as a nails alternative (in some things), and tweaks to the spawned dahlias, bluebells, poppies, and dandelions that’d make them more suitable for inclusion into agriculture.

If there’s anything you’d like me to take a swing at, please let me know!

I don’t think i will download the mod, but all the work you put here is amazing! I think this should be merged?

I just need to be able to sit down and just set aside an hour or two to work my way through not making an ass of myself over Git.

soon.jpg

Made clay mounds break into shallow water rather than deep water
Bad idea. Infinite clay from a single tile?
Added recipe and furniture to build a fire pit and upgrade it with a stone pot
Does it work for nospread? If yes, that's nice!

Clay is common enough that it doesn’t matter.

If trees were an infinite source of wood, nothing would really change either.

If anything, the ability to make deep water out of shallow water is more imbalanced than infinite clay.

Some of those are really good ideas.

Clay is common enough that it doesn’t matter.

If trees were an infinite source of wood, nothing would really change either.

If anything, the ability to make deep water out of shallow water is more imbalanced than infinite clay.[/quote]

Heh?

I had that change made specifically to avoid infinite resources from a single tile: suspension of disbelief doesn’t go that far, and I daresay that had I not made that change you or someone else would be just as demanding that it be changed the other way. I know of no significant benefit to deep rather than shallow water, fire-extinguishing notwithstanding.

I dunno, the main reason I changed it is because it made the rivers look horrible. The secondary reason I changed it just because shallow water is really not scarce at all and the current construction menu → whack mound → gather pieces method of gathering clay was already annoying enough without having to push a wheelbarrow up and down a river’s coast.

I’m certainly not married to the change. Had I the time and skill to do so, I’d rather change terrain to be able to keep track of what’s in it, so you can dig rocks out of the ground or sand/clay out of coastline, then change up worldgen so coastline is sandy or clay-y (?) and distinct from just dirt. That’d solve most of the issues, IMO, but be a hell of a lot of work to dress up something relatively trivial.

I dunno, the main reason I changed it is because it made the rivers look horrible. The secondary reason I changed it just because shallow water is really not scarce at all and the current construction menu → whack mound → gather pieces method of gathering clay was already annoying enough without having to push a wheelbarrow up and down a river’s coast.

I’m certainly not married to the change. Had I the time and skill to do so, I’d rather change terrain to be able to keep track of what’s in it, so you can dig rocks out of the ground or sand/clay out of coastline, then change up worldgen so coastline is sandy or clay-y (?) and distinct from just dirt. That’d solve most of the issues, IMO, but be a hell of a lot of work to dress up something relatively trivial.[/quote]

Extractive operations IRL make the terrain look horrible. Logging should leave ugly stumps, too.

The amount of clay you extract with each ‘extraction’ is tiny, compared to what’s being implied by the terrain change. 1.25-2.5 liters of clay per tile really isn’t enough to terraform a coastline.

Hm, now my mind’s wheels are turning - what might work would be adding ‘sandy’ or ‘clay-y’ tiles to the coastline on world gen, then building a structure of some sort over those tiles. The extractor rig rolls and keeps track of however many ‘charges’ of clay or sand are left in the ground, so when you dig up enough clay it says you’re out. Deconstructing it could result in a deep pit. That’d let a decent amount of muck get pulled out of a single tile, while still leaving a horribly ugly coastline if someone wants to mine up enough to build a brick house.

It does make me think of the oddity of how pits can be dug or mounds can be piled without any thought of the dirt involved. It’d be nice if digging in general produced soil, which would let people tinker with terrain a bit. Adding dirt piles might be a thing.

I just wish work would stop kicking my ass so I could get around to C++ tutorials.

Darkyhard on Git has been extracting portions of this for mainline. So far clay, stone, canola, and thyme–others too, but this is just off top/head–have been merged. We’ve asked xem to post here as xe PRs so folks can keep informed in future.

Yeah, and I’ve decided to make a list of what got in the mainline and what didn’t. I’ll update this list when something changes.

Green is what already got in the mainline, possibly with some changes.
Yellow is to be PRed at some point.
Blue means I’m unsure if this is needed in mainline.
Red means that I won’t PR this for some reason.

Atlatls:
Atlatl craftable at 2 fab/throw
Crude darts and proper darts (with fletching/arrowhead)
Added recipe to bundle some darts up for transport (can also sling over shoulder)
High damage, but very bulky ammo

Tyro Naturalist Profession:
Fur clothing, basic tools, wilderness scenario-ready.

Tool changes:
Added stone adze (wood saw 1)
Added stone mattock (combines stone axe, adze, and shovel)
Removed swage & die requirement from hammer recipe
Crucible now made out of clay
Swage & Die set is now autolearn
Duct tape is now autolearn
Added electric firestarter craftable at 0 electronics. Eats 5 battery/use.
Reduced funnel radius to 125
Added stone mortar & pestle (All recipes using this item are changed to use other tools.)
Clay items are now made in a clay kiln, using charcoal proportional to their craft time
Added fiber rope recipes that use withered plants
Added these ropes to all relevant crafts
Large waterskins can now be attached to vehicles

Herbalism additions:
Made poppy recipes autolearn and upped the difficulties slightly
Added seeds and seed recipe for:
Wild herbs, wild veggies, mushrooms, rhubarb, dry beans, and buckwheat
Dogsbane, which can be harvested for plant fiber
Canola, whose seeds can be pressed for cooking oil
Thyme, which can be processed into wild herbs or made into thyme oil, a disinfectant
Bee Balm (wild bergamot), which can be processed into a tea and drank as dayquil
Mugwort, which can be made into mugwort oil which acts as an antiparasitic
All seeds should take one volume worth of raw material to produce two seeds.

Tree replanting system:
Ripe fruit trees can be ‘cut’ through the construction menu and harvested for cuttings
Cuttings need to be planted into plant pots (through the craft menu), where they will grow for 14 days
Once complete, the sapling can be planted into the ground as a new tree!
The tree will not be able to be harvested until the next harvest season after planting. (Well, I just don’t know about this one. Maybe someone else who has more knowledge on the topic PRs it?)

Cooking changes:
Added batch time reduction for flour, cornmeal, chitin powder, bone meal
Removed skewer requirement for smoked meat and smoked fish

Construction changes:
Made clay mounds break into shallow water rather than deep water (This would allow to create infinite amounts of clay from one tile.)
Added recipe and furniture to construct a forge out of rocks
Added recipe and furniture to build a fire pit and upgrade it with a stone pot (Probably doesn’t have much of use since you can just light a fire on the grass.)
Added recipe and furniture to build a makeshift fence that uses no nails / is worse than regular wooden fence
Added recipe and furniture to build a smoking rack, which functions as a charcoal smoker
Added recipe, furniture, and item definition to build a clay kiln for recipes involving clay

Rad! Once I have the time to start making PRs, I’ll start arguing over a few of the nits, haha.

Thanks, Darkyhard. I’ll probably respond to those in detail once my net situation firms up–IRL flareup for the next week or so.

A great deal of this has been added to the experimental version already, but I saw a few things that haven’t. I did a bit of clean up and removed the obvious conflicts with the core game, but I haven’t had time to do any playtesting.
If someone would be willing to try this out and let me know what’s broken, if anything, I will finish updating it.

Google Drive
Wilderness Overhaul updated to experimental 4226 (obvious conflicts only)