Why is "chop tree trunk into planks" still in the construction menu?

I noticed that “chop down tree” and “chop tree trunk into logs” was moved to an axe actions menu. What’s so special about the “chop tree trunk into planks”?

What does it do? I’ve always just assumed it must makes 2x4s in case you want to build a wilderness cabin sorta thing.

I’ve always just assumed it must makes 2x4s in case you want to build a wilderness cabin sorta thing.

You god damn right. Splits tree trunks into some 2by4s and splinters.
It is not a bug btw, i’m just being curious.

Seems like it just hasn’t been “normalized” to either be an action or a construction activity in that workflow. Same thing with traps / braziers, etc. Sometimes you place things, sometimes you have to build them. It’s inconsistent.

In my mind, crafting components and building materials themselves should be activities (such as with the axe), but actually building structures with those components is Construction.

What traps do i have to build? There is a spiked pit (and a pit) but it’s kinda logical. Braziers and rollmats have to be activated, not build.
Oh, slipped my mind that i do have to build anvils.

Also, if “chop tree trunk into logs” is now an action it sounds reasonable that “chop tree trunk into planks” should be an action too.

In my mind, crafting components and building materials themselves should be activities (such as with the axe), but actually building structures with those components is Construction.

Agree.

Probably misremembering some aspects, but there are inconsistencies.