Why does everything get to shoot so many times in one tick?

While here I’m talking specifically about turrets, it also applies to anything that shoots - even NPCs that have semi-automatic pistols will easily outshoot you every time, going WAY beyond the burst value of the weapon they’re actually using.

Here’s an example from my current game. This is ONE turret, in ONE turn.

That’s 31 shots before I can react once, 0 pain, 115 speed. What the hell?

This is set in the distant future. The turrets over there are probably insanely fast-firing, right now there’s currently a turret (I forgot the name but I think it’s the Jay-something) that can fire 1 million bullets per second! Amazing stuff!

In general turrets are just there as a ‘fuck you’ and to keep you away from certain areas. Consider an M72 LAW before even trying to go nearby, or REALLY good armour.

Also note ‘Milspec turret’. Military spec means that it’s going to be a bloody good turret, not some potato launcher!

1. Turrets and many guns have a burst fire option, where they can shoot a number of rounds in basically the same amount of time as a single round.
  2. Guns cause a temporary stun effect when they hit something in many cases due to the sheer amount of damage they do. This works for you too, shooting a zombie with a high powered gun will often slow it down enough to let you keep shooting it to death. With you this leads to the same sort of thing, but because we only display turns when the player actually has enough moves to do anything, this makes it look like it was only 1 turn instead of 2-3 where you were just stunned.

This is now a game about fighting robots and turrets, with zombies as a low-level side issue.

Afaik cataclysm never tried to be mainly a zombie game. They are there as well thats all .

[quote=“Jakers, post:2, topic:8001”]This is set in the distant future. The turrets over there are probably insanely fast-firing, right now there’s currently a turret (I forgot the name but I think it’s the Jay-something) that can fire 1 million bullets per second! Amazing stuff!

In general turrets are just there as a ‘fuck you’ and to keep you away from certain areas. Consider an M72 LAW before even trying to go nearby, or REALLY good armour.

Also note ‘Milspec turret’. Military spec means that it’s going to be a bloody good turret, not some potato launcher![/quote]

That still doesn’t explain why an NPC can shoot a 9mm pistol 10 times in the time it takes me to shoot one.

As I pointed out earlier what’s happening is that you are getting shot which stuns you slightly, then they shoot you again, which stuns you a little bit more, and so on. This is then amplified by any burst firing options that they have, which lets them get in more hits in the same amount of time leading to longer stuns. You can notice the exact same thing if you pull a gun on a normal zombie as it just stands still while you shoot it a couple of times. Because you are the player, though, you don’t get to see the “you are stunned” frames of the game, it just jumps straight from the point where you get stunned to the point where you are either dead or not stunned anymore. (It’s the same reason why shockers sometimes appear to shoot you like 30 times in 1 turn, they are stun locking you).

[quote=“Thwap, post:5, topic:8001”]This is now a game about fighting robots and turrets, with zombies as a low-level side issue.[/quote]i wouldnt mind this at all if they would stay in ‘special’ zones not super robots and turrets everywhere

[quote=“Abbysynth, post:7, topic:8001”][quote=“Jakers, post:2, topic:8001”]This is set in the distant future. The turrets over there are probably insanely fast-firing, right now there’s currently a turret (I forgot the name but I think it’s the Jay-something) that can fire 1 million bullets per second! Amazing stuff!

Also note ‘Milspec turret’. Military spec means that it’s going to be a bloody good turret, not some potato launcher![/quote]

That still doesn’t explain why an NPC can shoot a 9mm pistol 10 times in the time it takes me to shoot one.[/quote]

I don’t know what’s up with that, but hey, this is why NPC’s should be turned off. Or not messed with.

Two words. Burst fire. You can use it too.

I would say that stun needs some sort of diminishing returns to prevent stunlocking, both to and by the player.

na stunlock is pretty unfairly realistic in my book … lets keep it.

What about a “The shot has stunned you!” output line? That might help us to know what’s going on when it happens

DayR

Agreed completely!

Metal Storm. Built in my local town - I’m set for zombies.

It has a heap of bullets all loaded in the barrel, and lots and lots of barrels.

Interesting design, but I haven’t seen it really take off. It has pretty long reload times however.

The turrets in Cata don’t use it for sure.

Agreed completely![/quote]

This needs to happen, if only to help explain to people WHY this kind of thing happens.

To be honest I had no idea the game only shows you a ‘turn’ when you have enough moves to TAKE a turn.

last thing we need is to see metal storm turrets in game, but if its true you can fire 10 bullet in the same amount of time as 1, well aren’t we close to metal storm now?:stuck_out_tongue:

But I’ve had NPCs shoot at me 10 times in a single turn without ever hitting me.