Why do I need launchers 1 to remove a mounted grenade launcher from a vehicle?

So I’ve spent about a week in-game tuning up a Humvee with parts from a military base. I wanted to replace the mounted grenade launcher turret with a 50 cal or something. Apparently my gearhead with mechanics 6 simply cannot intuit how to detach a mounted weapon if he doesn’t have experience with that exact weapon skill. That just seems really stupid. I guess my only option is to craft some sort of makeshift launcher and try to gain skill with it? I can’t think of any reason that this even remotely makes sense. Even as a requirement for mounting it, I don’t really buy it. I have the ability to construct a turret mount from scratch, but I can’t figure out how to detach(or attach) a weapon from one just because I haven’t practiced with that specific type before?

Moreover, level 1 represents a bare minimum. In most cases that’s trivial to gain (not for launchers, naturally :roll_eyes:), but I don’t see any justification for this petty requirement.

Levels in mechanics indicate a character’s proficiency in interfacing with vehicle parts. At level 6, I am able to install military composite plating, as level 6 reflects an increased ability to interface with more specialized vehicle components. It makes sense that certain mechanic operations require electronics skill, as those component interfaces involve electronics. It absolutely does not make sense as some sort of arbitrary blanket skill requirement rule.

Should I need blunt weapons to install a ram on the vehicle?
Should I need food handling to install a kitchen?
Should I need survival or applied science to install a water purifier?

1 Like

It might explode, how would you know? You don’t even have one skill in them so I’d argue it’s kinda fair you don’t wanna touch a bomb slinger without understanding it somewhat, I certainly wouldn’t

Not saying you are wrong, but it does make some amount of sense