Why Cant Fishing Sustain Muh Survivor

You can make a fishing rod with items gathered solely in an evac shelter and a rock outside.

I made one out of a farmhouse.

Then I sat there outside the farmhouse, eating fish and reading a chemistry book for like a week on end.

[quote=“Giga Retro Kumquat, post:18, topic:6696”][quote=“Labtop_215, post:17, topic:6696”]What is your survival level? At level 6, I just roll in fish fillets myself. I smoke em, salt em, dehydrate them, turn them into a protein powder and make wild berry shakes out of them.

Edit: I don’t know if this depends on the time of year that you do this in however. I think pole fishing from a river in the middle of winter isn’t as good as pole fishing from the same river in the summer.

Also, I keep a butchering knife on me at all times.[/quote]

So someone is actually able to sustain themselves off the fishing system

Survival 6 though? jeez thats quite the grind for food, you can go into any forest at level 1 survival and find too much food to eat[/quote]

No it isn’t. It just depends on your playstyle. If you butcher zombies that you kill instead of smashing them for instance, you gain quite a bit of survival skill that way. There are books that improve survival too, and there are ways to stretch your food reserves too. At the moment, 1 smoked fish (or a fish fillet if don’t have enough to smoke) 2 broth making items (5 units of powdered egg, 1 dehydrated vegetables, various eggs, plant marrow, wild vege’s all count as an item that can be made into broth. You can also make bone broth to stand in for one brothing item to stretch those supplies out a bit if you have too.) and some water can make that fish into woods soup which restores 140 nutrition and 100 quench. If you have a small jar, and some time to burn, you can also turn that into fish soup instead from one canned fish which is worth 150 nutrition and 100 quench.

Seriously, don’t increase fishing returns because in the real world, you are lucky if you can catch 1 or 2 fish a day anyway.

Where do you fish? ^^

You need to be at a river tile. It can be shallow or deep as far as I can tell (you may get better fishing returns if the tile you are fishing from is deep water). The river dosn’t have to be connected to anything. It can be just a stand alone river tile if you want. Infact, I actually like when I find small “rivers” surrounded by forrests. I like to think of those as lakes that I can build my cabin beside and just hang out by.

Thanks, but I meant the “in the real world” comment. I can catch more then two edible fish before work.

[quote=“Labtop_215, post:23, topic:6696”]No it isn’t. It just depends on your playstyle. If you butcher zombies that you kill instead of smashing them for instance, you gain quite a bit of survival skill that way. There are books that improve survival too, and there are ways to stretch your food reserves too. At the moment, 1 smoked fish (or a fish fillet if don’t have enough to smoke) 2 broth making items (5 units of powdered egg, 1 dehydrated vegetables, various eggs, plant marrow, wild vege’s all count as an item that can be made into broth. You can also make bone broth to stand in for one brothing item to stretch those supplies out a bit if you have too.) and some water can make that fish into woods soup which restores 140 nutrition and 100 quench. If you have a small jar, and some time to burn, you can also turn that into fish soup instead from one canned fish which is worth 150 nutrition and 100 quench.

Seriously, don’t increase fishing returns because in the real world, you are lucky if you can catch 1 or 2 fish a day anyway.[/quote]

I do make bone broth and butcher zombie corpses, still takes forever to grind to level 6 survival and the bone broth doeesnt give much besides thirst, and your recipe for broth is like 5 items +, I was talking about fishing not being able to sustain you, not so much cooking with 5 different items

Whats your character’s intelligence? This has a direct correlation to how quickly you can learn stuff (and how slowly you forget it), it doesn’t take me much time to get to 6 survival, but I tend to take a relatively high Int score and raid libraries/mansions early on. I’m also wondering what you think ‘forever to grind’ means, since I find it pretty easy to get several skills up to 6 within a week in-game, whereas I’ve also gotten characters to the point where I could install several engines into a vehicle, which is almost literally a hundred times harder.

My character can live off of fish alone indefinitely, but supplementing it with other extraordinarily easy to get food is just common sense, as it allows you to build up a stockpile.

I do make bone broth and butcher zombie corpses, still takes forever to grind to level 6 survival and the bone broth doeesnt give much besides thirst, and your recipe for broth is like 5 items +, I was talking about fishing not being able to sustain you, not so much cooking with 5 different items[/quote]

You can use one of those items to make broth or bone broth. facepalm Your supposed to take the broth and combine it something like smoked fish and some type of vegetable to make woods soup. Woods soup restores more nutrition and quench then the sum of it’s ingredients. Or you can make other kinds of soup with the broth if you want.

Fishing is quite a new mechanic to the game and somewhat experimental; therefore it shouldn’t really be used as a main food tactic.

But it’ll soon be worked on and somewhat more usuable, but to be honest I think it’s fair to make it hard to catch a fish in a damned apocalypse, and if they made it too good fishing would be an easy source of infinite food.

Actually eating too much fish should come with a debuff.
Fish are chock full of mercury, and mercury causes insanity and stupidity.

Therefore have it reduce intelligence until the player takes some royal jelly or uses medical nanobots if they eat too much of the stuff.

Plus, do you know what they do in that water you drink?

Plus, do you know what they do in that water you drink?[/quote]

Mwahaha toilet water is best water.

[quote=“gtaguy, post:31, topic:6696”]Actually eating too much fish should come with a debuff.
Fish are chock full of mercury, and mercury causes insanity and stupidity.

Therefore have it reduce intelligence until the player takes some royal jelly or uses medical nanobots if they eat too much of the stuff.[/quote]

Thats only really in places like japan where they have merrily dumped alot of mercury into their fishing grounds and it really only a problem if you are eating very large fish that eat smaller fish on a very regular basis. (Mercury builds up in your system, both the small fish and the big fish get a dose from swimming around, but the big fish also gets 1000 extra small fish doses from eating them).

Fish away from contaminated waters are better than fine to eat regularly, they are damn good for you.

About characters needing to eat too much, Kevin has mentioned a master time dilation factor he wishes to implement in the future on Git. I hope it will influence hunger/thirst, too.

Yeah I would like a fix for this we need to eat and drink way to often I think.

Even make an option in the options tab to adjust hunger and water rates?.

[quote=“jimboblordofeskimos, post:34, topic:6696”] Thats only really in places like japan where they have merrily dumped alot of mercury into their fishing grounds and it really only a problem if you are eating very large fish that eat smaller fish on a very regular basis. (Mercury builds up in your system, both the small fish and the big fish get a dose from swimming around, but the big fish also gets 1000 extra small fish doses from eating them).

Fish away from contaminated waters are better than fine to eat regularly, they are damn good for you.[/quote]
This. As usual gtaguy is talking out his ass. The water has to be polluted as hell before it’s an issue with freshwater fish.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:37, topic:6696”][quote=“jimboblordofeskimos, post:34, topic:6696”] Thats only really in places like japan where they have merrily dumped alot of mercury into their fishing grounds and it really only a problem if you are eating very large fish that eat smaller fish on a very regular basis. (Mercury builds up in your system, both the small fish and the big fish get a dose from swimming around, but the big fish also gets 1000 extra small fish doses from eating them).

Fish away from contaminated waters are better than fine to eat regularly, they are damn good for you.[/quote]
This. As usual gtaguy is talking out his ass. The water has to be polluted as hell before it’s an issue with freshwater fish.[/quote]

Pittsburgh had issues with that for a while. Last I checked, it’s considered safe to eat one Three-Rivers-caught fish per week.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:37, topic:6696”][quote=“jimboblordofeskimos, post:34, topic:6696”] Thats only really in places like japan where they have merrily dumped alot of mercury into their fishing grounds and it really only a problem if you are eating very large fish that eat smaller fish on a very regular basis. (Mercury builds up in your system, both the small fish and the big fish get a dose from swimming around, but the big fish also gets 1000 extra small fish doses from eating them).

This. As usual gtaguy is talking out his ass. The water has to be polluted as hell before it’s an issue with freshwater fish.[/quote]

All of this. Fish is generally a very healthy thing to eat, and you’ve only got to worry about bioaccumulated pollutants when they’re taken from seriously toxic waters.

I actually think thirst should be shorter, it takes about a week to die from it while it should only take three or four days. I also think you should take a bit longer to die from hunger. I haven’t tested how long you can survive without it, but it seemed to be about even with thirst.