Why Cant Fishing Sustain Muh Survivor

Hello all, a bit new to the forums. so if anyone has ever tried fishing yet, its a neat little addition to the game that certainly adds realism. I cant help but notice how much hunger you lose waiting and fishing VS how much hunger the fish are worth, it does not seem to even out, even when your survival is high enough to get 3 meat chunks out of each fish.

Is fishing supposed to just make me more hungry?

Or was it never meant to be a sustainable food source to begin with, and is just a tease 0_o

Have any of you gotten to a point where fishing becomes enough to sustain you? or at least balance out the hunger cost of sitting there waiting

Tbh I find you get to hungry to fast and thirsty to fast.

I could feed my self silly and drink then a little while later I’m starving and thirsty again.

Other than the trait to reduce eating and drinking I would like to see it adjustable in the options screen maybe?

That’s a good point, what’s the point of fishing if you lose more hunger than you can gain by doing it?

I think the issue is a clash between the unrealistic hunger times and the more realistic fishing times. It would be easier to just have the player catch fish faster if you ask me.

Making all these things into option menu options is a horrible horrible idea, even though I would like the ability to tweak some of them. Maybe create a “player.json” that has lots of character parameters? Things like hunger/thirst rate, base view distance, base starting limb hp, etc. It sounds like it would be a relatively simple change and it could be useful for mod/scenario purposes.

Might be worth auditing fish meat; 500 calories per pound of trout, apparently. (8 pounds/day for an active Survivor’s caloric needs.) So pole-based fishing isn’t necessarily the most effective.

I mean is it just me or do others think u become hungry and thirsty way to often I’m scoffing food and water and before I have managed to take a virtual dump I’m starving and dehidrated again its way to frequant

Just you. I take fast metabolism and high thirst, and that’s not very fast for me really…

I think you should get bigger fish with practice, so this gets balanced.

Quick question…
WTF ARE YOU DOING BY SWAMPS YOU FOOL!

But to be honest, fishing is much, much better than hunting in Experimental…
I think we all know why…

There are rivers.

[quote=“TinHead, post:9, topic:6696”]Quick question…
WTF ARE YOU DOING BY SWAMPS YOU FOOL!

But to be honest, fishing is much, much better than hunting in Experimental…
I think we all know why…[/quote]

Why?

Besides cutting down a zombobear every 30 tiles and chopping up packs of zolves every 15 tiles. Wildlife is really plentyfull and easy to hunt.
The big difference is that you need to be proficient at melee combat, but once you have that, it’s childsplay.

Though I think that wildlife should be far less common, including zombie wildlife.

My friend, Jabberwocks beyond this point.
Its not even funny, because the amount of times that I have been unluckily killed by one in a forest, is NOT a coincidence.

I have only encountered a jabberwock twice in the wild. I don’t know how you get them so often…

Maybe because I try to simulate the German Blitzkrieg when I enter a town on Experimental, and fail and some how survive long enough to get in a forest.

Oi…

Seriously, its actually very useful for getting the hordes out of towns faster so I can get some loot!

What is your survival level? At level 6, I just roll in fish fillets myself. I smoke em, salt em, dehydrate them, turn them into a protein powder and make wild berry shakes out of them.

Edit: I don’t know if this depends on the time of year that you do this in however. I think pole fishing from a river in the middle of winter isn’t as good as pole fishing from the same river in the summer.

Also, I keep a butchering knife on me at all times.

[quote=“Labtop_215, post:17, topic:6696”]What is your survival level? At level 6, I just roll in fish fillets myself. I smoke em, salt em, dehydrate them, turn them into a protein powder and make wild berry shakes out of them.

Edit: I don’t know if this depends on the time of year that you do this in however. I think pole fishing from a river in the middle of winter isn’t as good as pole fishing from the same river in the summer.

Also, I keep a butchering knife on me at all times.[/quote]

So someone is actually able to sustain themselves off the fishing system

Survival 6 though? jeez thats quite the grind for food, you can go into any forest at level 1 survival and find too much food to eat

The thing is, that our characters want consume to much food.

Fishing should give more food considering the time it takes to acquire the equipment and the time spent fishing and doing nothing.
Perhaps idle tasks like reading and fishing should act like sleeping in that you consume less calories while doing them.