Why are artifacts dispensed by the game as if they're prizes?

I think in my entire time with the game I’ve found exactly one artifact that was worth keeping around and using in small doses. The last one I found hurt me for just going near it, and the one before that hurt to pick up and summoned shadows to attack me when used.

At this point I don’t even go out of my way to find them. I just stumble over them, pick them up, and promptly throw them away once I start taking damage or going radioactive or whatever. If the vehicle additions mod didn’t add a reason to want vortex stones, I’d never enter a mine at all.

Because they’re a gamble. Their rarity means you get infinitely more fucked over by bad results, but good artifacts are always possible.

I still wish artifact proprties were JSONized though, then we could abuse them further in mods.

You’re reading intent where there is none, artifacts are random, the end.
They aren’t a reward or a prize, they just exist.

They are technically rewards at the end of temples and mines, or at least a potential incentive to clear it.

And now to derail the thread by pestering you about how easy JSONizing them would be. ;w;

Technically,

I still think of them as a POTENTIAL reward. They might be good, they might be bad. That’s the Fun, really.

Yep, I’ve gotten nothing out of artifacts but tons of !FUN! and yet I still keep collecting the damned things like an extra-dimensional trinket horder. Maybe because each one is effectively a unique item and that’s a cool concept to see in game.

They’re still delicious.

The only real base I ever did was walling off an Amigara fault and tunneling stairs up the surface. Parked my car over-top, chopped down some trees to make it homey and catalogued the good stuff.

Because I ended up with more duds than ‘this belongs in a museum’ finds I became something of a relic eater thanks to internal furnace.

Sometimes you get something great though. Like ‘mind control a whole horde into tearing each other apart’ great.

I didn’t mean my last post literally. ;A;

some artefacts are realy nice one time i had sphere what summoned big fies at cost of little radiation