Why am i welding wood togehter?

im loving that there are more wood parts for vehicles, but why are they welded on?

im trying to make a survivalist that goes into the wild and builds his own compound (with blackjack and hookers) and im trying to build some basic wooden wheelbarrows and such and i need to WELD (or duct tape) the wood together

i was wondering if it would be possible to determine the material of the of the part you are trying to attach and compare it to the material of the part you are trying to attach it to
anything with wood would have to be nailed (screwed? riveted?) on.

Just needs someone to code it.

I’m kind of surprised this isn’t in the game already, actually.

Current system pretty much assumes everything is made of metal. It’s a car system, not a cart system, nor a boat system.

I like the idea of wood/wood and wood/metal type bindings, but someone would have to do some basic research on how this should work (from a “makes sense” point of view) and how balanced it would be.

Wood/wood (and possibly bone/chitin) bindings could be cheap - it’s not like anyone seriously uses wood vehicles at the moment. Nails or even wooden bolts?
Wood/metal bindings should have a comparable cost to welding/duct taping, because an installed part is an installed part, no matter what was used to install it.

I’m looking at vehicle code right now and it seems doable. Vehicle menu code would have to do something like passing supported binding list to proper vehicle code, but other than that it all seems relatively straightforward.

it would be fantastic if we could make primitive vehicles with rough tools, it would make mountain man playthroughs more fun (who needs these newfangled cities anyway?)
maybe use some sort of wooden bolts for wood/wood
maybe even super glue (now that we can make it out of bones and leather and such) to attack biodegredables (wood/bone/chitin) together.

to attach wood to metal we will need either screws or nails. both of these methods are used IRL. personally, i would recommand we go the nail route because then we wont need to add any new items to the game and wont have to mess with all the furniture to add screws.
high powered nail guns can attack wood to steel if you youtube this bExa6Tu-BkY you can see a random example i found.
so from here we either assume our pre-existing nail guns are in the ever existing arms race to be the best tool on the market and are already strong enough, or add a new type of nail gun (and possible a mod for the existing one and a better nail rifle)
it would be best to to use teh existing nails and nail guns for this and we can adjust the power need for nailing wood/wood and wood/metal

This is a pretty sweet idea.

It probably would be a good idea (if this gets implemented) for parts that were made of wood not only to be weaker, but to be more liable to come apart under stress or after taking damage.

[quote=“Straume21, post:6, topic:7873”]This is a pretty sweet idea.

It probably would be a good idea (if this gets implemented) for parts that were made of wood not only to be weaker, but to be more liable to come apart under stress or after taking damage.[/quote]
already implemented

I hacked together some Shitty Json to let you make a foldable travois without any welding required. Should be doable at fabrication 2, survival 2. Could probably use some balancing/testing, and rope controls really shouldn’t be usable everywhere, but hey…Shitty Json.

[spoiler][code][

{
“id”: “packed_travois”,
“type”: “TOOL”,
“symbol”: “0”,
“color”: “brown”,
“name”: “packed travois”,
“description”: “This is collapsible wooden sled designed to be dragged around behind you.”,
“price”: 15000,
“material”: “wood”,
“weight”: 9071,
“volume”: 86,
“bashing”: 10,
“cutting”: 0,
“to_hit”: -5,
“max_charges”: 0,
“initial_charges”: 0,
“charges_per_use”: 0,
“turns_per_charge”: 0,
“ammo”: “NULL”,
“revert_to”: “null”,
“use_action”: {
“type”: “unfold_vehicle”,
“vehicle_name”: “travois”,
“unfold_msg”: “You unfold the travois.”,
“moves”: 500
}

},{

“type” : “vehicle”,
“id” : “travois”,
“name” : “Travois”,
“blueprint” : “A”,
“parts” : [
{“x”: 0, “y”: 0, “part”: “folding_wood_frame”},
{“x”: 0, “y”: 0, “part”: “travois_platform”},
{“x”: 0, “y”: 0, “part”: “rope_controls”}
]

},{

“type” : “vehicle_part”,
“id” : “travois_platform”,
“name” : “storage platform”,
“symbol” : “A”,
“color” : “brown”,
“broken_symbol” : “#”,
“broken_color” : “brown”,
“damage_modifier” : 60,
“durability” : 50,
“size” : 200,
“item” : “rope_30”,
“difficulty” : 1,
“location” : “center”,
“flags” : [“CARGO”, “BOARDABLE”, “FOLDABLE”],
“breaks_into” : [
{“item”: “rope_6”, “min”: 1, “max”: 3}
]

},{

“id” : “folding_wood_frame”,
“name” : “foldable light wooden frame”,
“symbol” : “h”,
“broken_symbol” : “#”,
“durability” : 30,
“item” : “frame_wood_light”,
“difficulty” : 1,
“location” : “structure”,
“flags” : [“MOUNTABLE”, “FOLDABLE”],
{“item”: “splinter”, “min”: 3, “max”: 5},
{“item”: “string_36”, “min”: 10, “max”: 15}
]

},{

“type” : “recipe”,
“result”: “packed_travois”,
“category”: “CC_OTHER”,
“subcategory”: “CSC_OTHER_OTHER”,
“skill_used”: “fabrication”,
“skills_required”: [ “survival”, 2 ],
“difficulty”: 2,
“time”: 60000,
“reversible”: true,
“decomp_learn”: 4,
“autolearn”: true,
“qualities” : [
{“id”:“HAMMER”,“level”:2,“amount”:1},
{“id”:“CUT”,“level”:1,“amount”:1}
],
“components”: [
[[ “frame_wood_light”, 1 ]],
[[ “rope_6”, 6 ]],
[[ “2x4”, 3 ],
[ “stick”, 6 ]
]
]

},{

“id” : “rope_controls”,
“name” : “rope controls”,
“symbol” : “$”,
“broken_symbol” : “$”,
“damage_modifier” : 10,
“durability” : 30,
“item” : “rope_6”,
“difficulty” : 3,
“flags” : [“CONTROLS”, “FOLDABLE”],
{“item”: “string_36”, “min”: 2, “max”: 5}
]
}
][/code][/spoiler]

On a side note, it’d be nice if other folding vehicles could be tagged for no editing like the folding bicycle. Wish I knew how to code :frowning: