Where is the best place to settle?

IMHO horseback is the best base. Prepare your 5Cs of survival and hit the road. Cutting, container, combustion, cordrage and cover. Minimalistic bushcraft kit. The more you know the less you carry

2 Likes

Horseback is almost useless in my opinion, as I found horses are too weak to carry a character who’s fully armed and armored (and forget about carrying any loot). I also gave up on horse drawn carriages after several cases of the horses just skipping their harnesses for no apparent reason.

2 Likes

Personally, I like two-story garages best, preferably with 2 bays. Set up a bedroom in the office on the second floor, a kitchen on the roof outside the office (eventually building an indoor kitchen next to the bedroom), build a generator on the top roof (combination solar, large wind turbines, gas, and minireactors, and a bunch of batteries), and use it to power a kitchen, laboratory, workshops, etc. Even if my character is mostly nomadic, I like to have a base to return to every now and then.

I also typically build at least 3 vehicles of different sizes (from 3x4 tiles up to like 9x20) with no windows, outside views provided by security cameras, all orichalcum frames, composite armour, doubled (except for the front steerable ones) 32" wheels, 1 or more hauling spaces, rear access via an opaque heavy duty hatch, an M2 turret if I can find any .50BMG (extremely hard to find in my current world, though not as hard as 7.62x51mm), and a reclining seat and sometimes a bed, offering comfortable and pretty safe places to sleep. Of course that’s only feasible if I can find mechanics books, and my character can read, or other ways to train the skill to a high level.

I think it’s important to mention that this strategy only works if your world has the mod “Magiclysm” activated…

at the moment, I have moved a little away from the cataclysm.
I decided to lead a nomadic lifestyle, without a base, trying to survive as much as possible.
I am very surprised that someone here answers: D

1 Like

Good point…I wasn’t sure, but thought that was probably the case…heavy duty frames otherwise. Ori frames are the same weight, but 50% stronger; but also much harder to come by, generally only found in Security Vans.

BTW, unless it was changed recently, HD frames offer more protection to parts on them. They just have slightly less of their own hp, which isn’t that much of an issue.

Good to know, thanks!

Hmm, there are two-story garages?

Blue walls, glass front, 1 or 2 garage bay doors, door into the office/reception, and another door around the side. Behind the bays is a work area with a bunch of crates, usually containing a few arc welders, some tools, and lots of acetylene. Adding a couple of walls and a door makes the reception area a great lab. The stairs to the second floor are between two doors, so it’s fairly safe going up and down even if zombies get into the first floor, though ideally you want to secure the surrounding area before moving in. Second floor has an office (which can easily be converted into a bedroom) and a room with a few crates and a couple of display racks (which is a good kitchen, once you have your base power grid set up), plus a door out onto the first floor roof, where you’ll usually find a table, maybe a brazier, plus a drainpipe to get up to the roof of the second story, helpful to get a view of the surrounding area, and also a great place to put solar panels and wind turbines. I’ve mainly been playing 0.E-1, but I’ve confirmed that they still exist in the latest experimental version (currently testing the updated versions of my mods in the latest experimental).

With wandering hordes and magiclysm, a Technomancer’s Home is a first class pick. Solid stone wall around 100% of property, with sole access point being metal garage gate leading to undergoung garage / basement. No outer windows whatsoever, no breakable doors. Also features nice glass (including roof) reading room, and convenient glass wall in a kitchen, so you don’t need to lay cables or deconstuct a windowstill to connect your kitchen rig with outside solar pannels array. In fact, thatnks to that glass roof, you can power your cooking with indoor solar panels, and not have to worry about rain hitting you while you do your thing inside.

IMHO a vehicle is the best base, because it is where you want it to be. It can provide you food, water, sleeping place, crafting and protection at once.
My resent goal is to build the smallest autonomous vehicle. For now, it is 3x4 squares with reclining seat, 500L storage with recharging station, mini-freezer, Kitchenmaster, 120KWt Battery and 6 Upgraded solar panels:
+++
+#+
Ho&
t+t

I use hatches instead of windshield for their durability, storage capacity and multiple options to get in and out of the vehicle. All outer squares are covered by curtains with door motors, so I can hide from zombies to get some sleep. If it is not safe enough - two mounted A7 laser rifles will do the rest of job.
Chitin platings provide good protection with minor weight. Plastic boat hull (planning to change it to carbon) makes my vehicle fully offroad.
Arc wielder and electric forge are in the storage, so I only have to recharge them sometimes.
60-L tank in the rear hatch with a funnel provides me almost infinite water supply.
I doubt any stationary dwelling can even compete with that.

Oh, now I remember. I raided a place like that in the nearby town. Sadly my current garage is secluded and near to river (water wheels, yay), so I haven’t considered that place for settling.

Vehicle base can’t compete with 10 warehouse shelves (3500 L storage each) placed in my stationary base. I also don’t believe in armor being necessary as I don’t plan to sleep in a vehicle. I prefer light weight, mobility and massive storage space for loot, instead. Thus, shopping baskets (150L 6kg) instead of walls :slight_smile:

Does 0.F allow you to lock doors on vehicles?
Because otherwise any feral human can just open them and murder you in your sleep.

Does 0.F allow you to lock doors on vehicles?
Because otherwise any feral human can just open them and murder you in your sleep.

Never encountered such a problem. Turrets auto aiming On.

Hmm… Cargo dimension?

what would you need that kind of space for, anyway?

Hoarding thousands of guns, obviously.

while only ever shooting one or two of them
I mean, collecting is a fun activity to do but why collect more than one of each? even then, all of it could probably fit in a couple of cargo spaces