What's with all the dead naked people in the apocalypse?

Found in hospitals and labs, they are completely naked and they don’t turn to zeds. I’ve never understood this…

You may have stumbled into an unfinished or unrevealed plot element, so we might be toying with spoilers here. I’m theorizing that these people were never zombified because of a cure that they managed to get, but still died for one reason or another. Or they were naturally immune, at least in a sense that zombification was prevented, but not death. So they died, they were stripped of their belongings and got thrown into morgues, same as with any deceased people. Certain labs and hospitals conceivably have morgues… somewhere. Not that they’re represented in the game. The question then remains how did they end up in the hallways. Released or dragged out by zombies? Or maybe they reanimated briefly, just enough to walk around a bit and collapse. Should they be called human corpses or zombie corpses? Lines get blurred here… Also makes me wonder if morgue container unit doors have door handles on the inside…

It could also be a broken mechanic. Corpses are supposed to rot, and yet, fresh human corpses are found in new areas no matter how far in time you advance in the game, right? Frankly I don’t remember if I have seen a lab without human corpses, as I have never paid any special attention to their absence. I don’t remember seeing bones in the hallways of unexplored labs. I’m just wondering if it’s possible that human corpses do rot but they simply eventually vanish, skipping any intermediate stages.

whats unfinished about them other than their outfit o.0

just decorations or a source of cannibalchow if you act fast

[quote=“pisskop, post:3, topic:11246”]whats unfinished about them other than their outfit o.0

just decorations or a source of cannibalchow if you act fast[/quote]

I’m pretty sure these corpses ever rot, so it’s practically a food exploit for cannibals, especially considering how many you can easily find.

They rot like all food does. The only exceptions are food in low temperatures and unpulped zombie corpses.

[quote=“hobophobic, post:4, topic:11246”][quote=“pisskop, post:3, topic:11246”]whats unfinished about them other than their outfit o.0

I’m pretty sure these corpses ever rot, so it’s practically a food exploit for cannibals, especially considering how many you can easily find.[/quote]

They rot. As I recall, if your reality bubble reaches the area of the lab, the corpses will spawn, and in time will turn rotten unless it’s an ice lab. Eventually they’ll disappear, like the ones you’d usually encounter outdoors.

Corpses do rot. They take 10 “rot days” do despawn. Most of the spring has low temperature meaning that corpses may last through all of the spring and start despawning in summer.
Ice labs should preserve corpses like they preserve food, because corpse rot uses same functions as food rot.

However, unlike food items that spawn at mapgen, corpses spawn fresh. This may be considered a bug, I think.
This means that despite 10 years having passed from the start of the cataclysm, you may still see fresh corpses of junkies, hitchhikers and the like.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:7, topic:11246”]Corpses do rot. They take 10 “rot days” do despawn. Most of the spring has low temperature meaning that corpses may last through all of the spring and start despawning in summer.
Ice labs should preserve corpses like they preserve food, because corpse rot uses same functions as food rot.

However, unlike food items that spawn at mapgen, corpses spawn fresh. This may be considered a bug, I think.
This means that despite 10 years having passed from the start of the cataclysm, you may still see fresh corpses of junkies, hitchhikers and the like.[/quote]

Corpses definitely do rot - if you butcher them after a certain amount of time, they give rotten meat. Also, unbutchered corpses (of all kinds, including pulped zombie corpses) do not leave bones when they fully rot away.

At least in experimental, the only places I’ve been able to find “fresh” corpses after the start of the game is hospitals and labs - the corpses in them are generated fresh (and yes, naked, for some unknown reason) when they are spawned, but druggies, scientists, soldiers, etc, that you find dead will have no corpses left, no matter how quickly you get to them after they are generated.

As to why they are naked… yeah, I think that’s dumb. They should basically be like the corpses you find generated on the map - basic zombie drops, plus the occasional other useless thing.

What I find quite a bit funnier than those, though, is when you kill a zombie, and they drop some kind of fresh food that should have rotted away years ago.

[quote=“pisskop, post:3, topic:11246”]whats unfinished about them other than their outfit o.0

Well, you gotta explain somehow why there are un-reanimated human corpses only in labs and hospitals, and nowhere else. How would YOU explain it?

Besides, cannibals can freely eat normal food without penalties, right? Of course cannibalism has to be catered somehow, because the trait exists, and because of gameplay freedom. Would it be too punishing if cannibals were forced to kill NPCs for their meat, and then do away with scattered unturned human corpses altogether?

I think the problem, the inconsistency, is that the corpses aren’t concentrated in morgues.
Or that there are no unturned corpses anywhere else.

Gotta explain it somehow…!

[quote=“BeerBeer, post:9, topic:11246”][quote=“pisskop, post:3, topic:11246”]whats unfinished about them other than their outfit o.0

Well, you gotta explain somehow why there are un-reanimated human corpses only in labs and hospitals, and nowhere else. How would YOU explain it?

Besides, cannibals can freely eat normal food without penalties, right? Of course cannibalism has to be catered somehow, because the trait exists, and because of gameplay freedom. Would it be too punishing if cannibals were forced to kill NPCs for their meat, and then do away with scattered unturned human corpses altogether?

I think the problem, the inconsistency, is that the corpses aren’t concentrated in morgues.
Or that there are no unturned corpses anywhere else.

Gotta explain it somehow…![/quote]

No you don’t. That’s like saying you don’t have to work for your lunch after the world has ended. It doesn’t make sense for human corpses to be continuously generated fresh in any case. If you want human meat, there are other ways, even without NPC’s. Also, being pitted against NPC’s as a cannibal is kind of the point of that trait anyway.

Mines. Full of naked dead bodies with “miner stuff” like flashlights and hardhats laying around. The free cannibal chow will get me in there even if I don’t care about the artifact.

Nothing like chowing down on some naked bodies you randomly found chilling in the world. Mmmmmmm!

For ice labs, I always explained it in my head as paradoxical undressing.