What's up with stupid morale changes?

Food bonuses last what seems like an entire day. Who on earth picks stylish or fast learner when you can enjoy permanent +200 morale with gourmand?

Killing certain dogs gives you -50 morale. If a pack of these attack you in early game you have absolutely no defense, especially if you don’t play on standard speed settings (can’t kite indoors and close the door). Beagles are more dangerous than mi-gos now. Haven’t tried shouting yet but I doubt that works. If this works like new human butchering, killing three of these gives you -150 morale for ~50 days, have fun. Personally I just instantly rerolled my character.

Seriously, as it stands mood swings can be classified a positive trait since you can easily negate the negative swings with gourmand and simply enjoy the occasional +100 swing. Same goes for addictive personality as you only need drugs once per day for morale benefits.

Who’s merging this stuff?

it might be an unfortunate side effect of longer seasons that needs to be addressed, unless you do the coding yourself or are willing to help there’s no reason to be an asshole about it.

1 Like

I somehow doubt it. I was having long lasting food morale buffs before the seasons change.

All the same I prefer it to the old morale buffs that were gone in about eight hours. Made me skip dinner to have a bigger breakfast like an utter lunatic.

Are you sure about 50 days? Can you provide savegame or better yet reproduce steps?

In my test killing single beagle gives you negative morale which wears off in ~4 hours, killing three beagles give -150 morale and also ~4 hours wear-off.

Like I said I instantly reset my world when I hit -150 morale and simply assumed it deteriorates at the same pace as the human butchering penalty as they’re both -50. At least 4 hours is reasonable.

That is incorrect. Killing dogs has a fairly similar effect to killing zombie children - a reasonably short (<1 day) morale debuff.

Butchering a human corpse, on the other hand, lasts multiple seasons, so that’s a devastating one. Not sure if it is extended by the new default season length, or if it’s just set to be ~30 days? If it lasts a season it’s basically a game ending event or close to it.

it might be an unfortunate side effect of longer seasons that needs to be addressed, unless you do the coding yourself or are willing to help there’s no reason to be an asshole about it.

Bringing glaringly broken things into light is willingness to help (eg. elated bonuses were broke for half a year simply because no-one bothered mentioning it). Building specials were broke for five? years since their introduction to json because no-one bothered mentioning it. And so on.

Butchering a human corpse, on the other hand, lasts multiple seasons, so that’s a devastating one. Not sure if it is extended by the new default season length, or if it’s just set to be ~30 days? If it lasts a season it’s basically a game ending event or close to it.

I’m coping with cocaine and booze. Food bonuses are so ridiculously broke right now it’s not even bad (and that’s without gourmand because it feels like cheating).

i’m not seeing the long lasting morale penalties for dogs… like stated, they seem short lived, like killing zombie children.

Can this stuff be avoided? Cannibal, psychopath? I always picked them, because I don’t give a damn about humans or doggies.

2 Likes

Dogicide penalty seems far too high. For me, at least.

Cause you dont forget bad stuff in a day… :tired_face: :sob:

I don’t support the dog kill penalty in any capacity. I love dogs (eff cats, though) but I wouldn’t feel bad for a second putting one down in the apocalypse. They’re food or they’re a threat, punishing my character for it seems silly.

And I know this won’t be an argument anyone agrees with, but I feel similarly about the morale penalty around children. They’re food or they’re a threat. o_o

#BeerBatterTheChildren #DeepfryThePreteens #Trump2020

4 Likes

Oh my god. Psychopath + gourmand + Metabolic Interchange + Alcoholic Metabolism…

Permanent +2000 mood bonus all the time as long as you raid bars regularly.

Yes. I almost always take psychopath and never have trouble making dog feasts.

Also I once ate chicken that smelled like my dog. It deeply unsettled me. So that at the very least is a morale penalty.

Wait, there’s a morale penatly for butchering human corpses now?

How the hell is my cannibal character ever gonna get any satisfaction then? :wink:

Presumably cannibals would be fine butchering humans. Otherwise that’s a busted change.

So, I just played a bit and went and killed some dogs.

This is just effing ridiculous. I’m at -152 morale and my guy basically wants to kill himself. That’s ridiculous. I shouldn’t have to be a ‘psychopath’ to kill some dogs. It’s a damn dog, not a toddler or a unicorn or some precious sentient lifeform.

I know we already talked about this, but damn, it’s so, so much worse than I thought it was.

1 Like

Although I have not seen this debuff. Safe to assume the discussion isn’t blowing smoke up our butts. I would say 99% of people getting chased and attacked by dogs of any breed, would not give 1 let alone 2 $h!ts of a care about killing said animal trying to kill an eat them.

Assuming this is a thing still by time the devs read it. Please remove this terrible code as it is silly as it is pointless.

Add a trait Dog Lover if it means that much to you. For the rest of us who don’t care at all(which I love dogs by the way), we don’t like this sorta thing.

1 Like

Dog lover as a one point negative trait seems the only appropriate way this morale penalty should be a thing. Also the fact that it seems to only care if you kill some breeds doesn’t really make sense either. I feel like if it’s feral you wouldn’t much care what breed it was over the fact that it’s trying to eat your face.

Negative Trait:

Dog Lover: -12 to your morale upon killing a dog
If it is fluffy and barks a lot, chances are you love the little s.o.b.! So killing one brings you down. So long Fido, but it was you or I…