What's Happening in YOUR Randomly-generated Apocalypse?: Vibrator derail

It wasn’t even that hard to make, like probably copying some code over form another thing and giving it charges. At most probs about 2 hours, while z levels and a stealth system could take months.

Didn’t he say it took 5-6 hours with an additional 2 hours for review and confirmation? Granted stealth would obviously be harder, but every little effort counts!

I’m almost certain that he didn’t spend all six of those compiling/jenkinsing hours staring at the compiler. Hell, KA101 might have even been doing other coding at the time. It’s not like this is a pointless addition, either, and if you think this is, then you could remove about 3/4 of the content that is similarly “pointless” (but important to making CDDA, well, CDDA). I’m not gonna say “if you think it’s so easy, code it yourself!” because not everyone can code like some of the active people on github, but you certainly should at least TRY to put your money where your mouth is.

Yes, stealth would be worth putting time into. But “putting time into it” isn’t the same as in, say Game Tycoon or whatever. You actually need creative impulse and good ideas to make something work, not just blatant “time spent” or God forbid “resources”.

Seeing as the current recipes need fiddly things like milk or eggs, might as well PR pancake-mix and cloned recipes. I’d risk the Bloaters for not having to futz about with (additional) perishable ingredients.

but what the hell is “and resources” supposed to mean?[/quote]

Well in the frame of video game development, resources usually means manpower and money.

Y’know

like that Kickstarter money.

Look, I’m not trying to sound like an entitled brat who’s complaining about the addition of new content (and yes, I believe that the huge amount of items, including random junk is what makes DDA special, in a way), but I’m just saying that adding cream soda and dildos doesn’t add anything significant to the game that isn’t already there. It’s repeating the same releases of marginally different things over and over again and expecting the game to become that much better because of it. That’s what the Call of Duty franchise does, and people hate the games because of that, because they just don’t make any improvements to the core of the game.

I like this game, I like how I can play it for free and get quick updates and experimental additions (or at least I WOULD if I played on Windows), and overall I like the developers. The fact that Kevin and KA101 were interested (or irritated) enough by my post to want to respond so thoroughly is a beautiful thing that shows how much the developers are willing to get involved with their player base. And as I am not a coder myself, I probably don’t appreciate how difficult it is to work anything into this game, from a personal massager to a system where movement speed can be voluntarily decreased in exchange for attracting less attention from unaware mobs.

So, like, keep up the hard work, guys.

Please, God, do your research.

The money pledged was specifically designed to hire a developer to work on huge problems (tiles, for one) for a few months, and any extra to be used for bounty reward (ala Z-levels). So we’ve got $1,000 left. None of that has been spent for the past 1-2 months, AFAIK, and it’s just sitting there, for Z levels. None of the devs are actually being funded by Kickstarter, and the Kickstarter money has already been well used IMO. No, but if you’re OK with swapping Z levels for a stealth system, SPEAK UP ABOUT THAT, and don’t assault people about “wasting resources” that they aren’t even using at all.

That’s, like, not fucking easy. If we HAD more Kickstarter money to spare, that’s what we’d be spending it on- getting a dev to work on this. Right now, nobody’s shown the commitment to spend days or even weeks perfecting this system.

Right, because that’s the only thing actually being modified. Are you PLAYING the game? Because even past the hidden, code-cleaning PRs, there are hundreds of additions that radically better the game. And all this content that’s being added? Most of it is actually succeeding in adding depth to the game, instead of just complexity. Really, though- if all you see are these “marginally different things” you’ve got a selected viewpoint. Try reading the Github’s PR feed, and beyond the hype of “new!” there’s a lot of useful, good mechanics changes, balancing adjustments etc. Not a single “useless item” on that current list afaict.

Careful, Kilo. I don’t want Iced to become what NoJustice turned into.

[quote=“IcedPee, post:25, topic:6274”]Well in the frame of video game development, resources usually means manpower and money.

Y’know

like that Kickstarter money.[/quote]

I could be wrong, but I rather doubt that there have been many payments made for most of the things put in. And manpower? Yeah, this isn’t a commercial game. The amount of manpower isn’t decided by some HR director interviewing people to hire - It’s decided by the people who voluntarily contribute code to the game.

Look, I'm not trying to sound like an entitled brat who's complaining about the addition of new content (and yes, I believe that the huge amount of items, including random junk is what makes DDA special, in a way), but I'm just saying that adding cream soda and dildos doesn't add anything significant to the game that isn't already there. It's repeating the same releases of marginally different things over and over again and expecting the game to become that much better because of it. That's what the Call of Duty franchise does, and people hate the games because of that, because they just don't make any improvements to the core of the game.

People like to throw around the idea that somehow the Call of Duty franchise is “hated”. The sales numbers say otherwise (http://www.statisticbrain.com/call-of-duty-franchise-game-sales-statistics/). Also, one does not compare a number of sequels to a game to a game that is still in development.

I like this game, I like how I can play it for free and get quick updates and experimental additions (or at least I WOULD if I played on Windows), and overall I like the developers. The fact that Kevin and KA101 were interested (or irritated) enough by my post to want to respond so thoroughly is a beautiful thing that shows how much the developers are willing to get involved with their player base. And as I am not a coder myself, I probably don't appreciate how difficult it is to work anything into this game, from a personal massager to a system where movement speed can be voluntarily decreased in exchange for attracting less attention from unaware mobs.

So, like, keep up the hard work, guys.

Let’s see, recent changes off the top of my head: peeking through curtains/tearing them down, tetanus, cotton industry, clothing/armor layering changes, color-coding messages.

Mind you, these are just the ones I can think of on short notice.

Oh, and that morale boosting item that makes you tired which you seem overly concerned about - the vibrator. Mind you, I think that it is actually a fairly useful item. I can’t think of any other non-drug based methods of making yourself tired enough to sleep.

Please, God, do your research.

The money pledged was specifically designed to hire a developer to work on huge problems (tiles, for one) for a few months, and any extra to be used for bounty reward (ala Z-levels). So we’ve got $1,000 left. None of that has been spent for the past 1-2 months, AFAIK, and it’s just sitting there, for Z levels. None of the devs are actually being funded by Kickstarter, and the Kickstarter money has already been well used IMO. No, but if you’re OK with swapping Z levels for a stealth system, SPEAK UP ABOUT THAT, and don’t assault people about “wasting resources” that they aren’t even using at all.[/quote]

Okay. I wasn’t aware of that. I apologize. Thank you for correcting me.

[quote="IcedPee, post:25, topic:6274"]system where movement speed can be voluntarily decreased in exchange for attracting less attention from unaware mobs.[/quote]

That’s, like, not fucking easy. If we HAD more Kickstarter money to spare, that’s what we’d be spending it on- getting a dev to work on this. Right now, nobody’s shown the commitment to spend days or even weeks perfecting this system.

I never said it was ‘fucking easy’, in fact I thought I had stated that I’m not blaming the slowness/lack of progress on the devs because I myself am not an expert and therefore can’t rightly say that it’s easy.

[quote="IcedPee, post:25, topic:6274"]Look, I'm not trying to sound like an entitled brat who's complaining about the addition of new content (and yes, I believe that the huge amount of items, including random junk is what makes DDA special, in a way), but I'm just saying that adding cream soda and dildos doesn't add anything significant to the game that isn't already there. It's repeating the same releases of marginally different things over and over again and expecting the game to become that much better because of it. That's what the Call of Duty franchise does, and people hate the games because of that, because they just don't make any improvements to the core of the game.[/quote]

Right, because that’s the only thing actually being modified. Are you PLAYING the game? Because even past the hidden, code-cleaning PRs, there are hundreds of additions that radically better the game. And all this content that’s being added? Most of it is actually succeeding in adding depth to the game, instead of just complexity. Really, though- if all you see are these “marginally different things” you’ve got a selected viewpoint. Try reading the Github’s PR feed, and beyond the hype of “new!” there’s a lot of useful, good mechanics changes, balancing adjustments etc. Not a single “useless item” on that current list afaict.

I have been playing the game. I haven’t been playing the experimentals, because there isn’t Mac support for them, so I can only play the 0.A stable. In said stable, I honestly haven’t seen anything that I would think of as “radically different and game-changing” from 0.9, correct me if I missed anything. The most useful things I’ve seen are the new text color for skill books that contain recipes, and the ability to craft using ingredients that are farther away. Oh, and empty MRE bags automatically turning into paper.

So I went on the Github as you suggested and was instantly confused by the layout, and wasn’t really able to make sense of anything, much less a list of new features. How about we make this easier for both of us, and you just give me a couple of examples of three of the most useful new things in your opinion since the 0.A stable?

1. Color coding messages, to show if they’re good, bad, neutral or somewhere in between
  2. A vastly enhanced overhaul of encumberment and clothing handling
  3. World options expanded, fullscreen mode, “spawn in a different place” code put in, UI much more uncluttered
    (I know you asked for 3, but there’s so much it’s kinda hard to list it all.)
  4. Martial arts based off weaponry, detailed blocking/dodging system, framework to balance “window kiting”
  5. Crafting skill rebalance (so you can’t exploit fabrication), even more things to craft, tools now have “qualities” instead of listing all the tools to do a single task
  6. Json files for numerous more things, to allow modding even easier
  7. Enhanced lore in the way of randomly genned newspapers and survivor-written notes

And just from the PR feed:

1. The beginning of a rework for the disease system (right now it’s a bit basic)
  2. The beginning of a rework of food “fun” values
  3. Framework for ACTIVE MUTATIONS in the works
    (Those are upcoming features, not yet integrated, but currently being reviewed/worked on)

Actual commits:

1. About 5-15 additions of substantial content every day, such as mirrors, prices for vending machines, heaps of bugfixing, combat reworks, recipes for drugs, new diseases, fixing royal jelly, peeking through curtains, tetanus, the framework for functional NPCs and trading being constructed, toolboxes, fatigue, in-code framework to allow modders to add more items, improving the advanced item menu, the ~25 lines of C++ code just to make the vibrator work (this allows future items to have similar effects without additional coding), cotton working and farming

Things being worked on/discussed:

1. Acidia’s kickass 9x9 tile buildings that make people’s brains melt just staring at their beauty
  2. Even more mods to add to the game, including ones that simplify the game and remove some items, ones that allow the player to actually necromance zombies, and ones that add piles of drugs (hiya, Grifter)
  3. More, constantly-updating tilesets that allow even MORE of an audience to come and play the game
  4. A possibly reworked butchery system

Look, I was harsh in my last post. That’s my own fault. It’s just that people talking about the devs without seeing the whole picture kinda angers me. There are people who have only made one change in the game, and other people who have made thousands. Don’t insult them all by saying they’re wasting time or resources, because in a game where everyone can make changes, there is near-infinite time and resources.

I think this is a lot of miscommunication, so rather than trying to directly refute stuff and get into a back-and-forth, I’ll just observe that I think IcedPee is trying to provide constructive criticism, but is managing to touch a nerve… or rather step on a bunch of different nerves all at once, probably unintentionally.

I am sorry you’re stuck on 0.A, because we’ve come a long way since then. We’ve spent quite a lot of time trying to get builds for macs working, but for some reason it’s just not well supported by non-mac tools.
(By the way, to see highlights of changes between major versions, there’s a file data/changelog.txt that lists what I consider to be major changes between versions, that’s a chore I force myself to do every release)

Wait, more code to make the vibrator work? I thought it was just a reskinned mp3 player. What does it do, exactly?

[quote=“TheFlame52, post:32, topic:6274”]Wait, more code to make the vibrator work? I thought it was just a reskinned mp3 player. What does it do, exactly?[/quote]If you don’t know then you’re probably too young to be on this forum :wink:

It takes about 20 battery charges, 20 minutes (long activity, like fishing or the handheld game), and gives 4 each of morale & fatigue per minute. So +40 morale/fatigue per use, for 20 battery and 20 minutes of DDA time.

You can’t do anything else while using the vibrator, though if you have a mp3 player (on) it’ll add Music morale whilst you’re using the vibrator, same as it would if you were reading or playing the handheld game.

Unlike most items, you can use it underwater, provided you’ve some source of oxygen such as gills or an active rebreather mask. (I didn’t check for the bionic rebreather, though. Just realized that now.)

I have to admit, the thought of a fish-person survivor pleasuring himself with a vibrator while underwater is one of the funniest mental images I’ve had in a while.

I have to admit, the thought of a fish-person survivor pleasuring himself with a vibrator while underwater is one of the funniest mental images I’ve had in a while.[/quote]

We aim to please.

I have to admit, the thought of a fish-person survivor pleasuring himself with a vibrator while underwater is one of the funniest mental images I’ve had in a while.[/quote]

We aim to pleasure.[/quote]FTFY.

I am tempted to make a thread titled What’s happening in YOUR Randomly-generated Apocalypse : The Vibrator Derail, now.

After all of these shennenigans I think I shouldn’t have posted the original pic, well you guys would find it eventually anyway.

Good call, I should have done it earlier.
(the original post was in no way out of line, and frankly neither was most of the rest, but it was a pretty bad derail.)