What's happening in YOUR randomly generated apocalypse? Part 2!

IMO automated turbo lasers are better since they have no ammo requirements, even one turbo laser with enough power will absolutely decimate a zombie horde.

2 Likes

Very true. Part of me loved the idea of driving around with a big can opener though. And to be prepared for chicken walker and mini-tank season. :wink:

1 Like

Makes sense, it defo has some flavour to it :smiley: I bet the miniguns would be pretty good for chicken walkers and tank drones too since they have the range for it and they are pretty cool.

Hadn’t considered those. Or ATGMs…

1 Like

There is no such thing as too much firepower, so I’d say yes absolutely. Especially since it can one shot basically anything, whereas the turbolaser may need a couple shots. If one of those minitanks gets a shot on you with its main gun it can destroy you and your vehicle, regardless of whether you have military composite armor or not. See my vehicle below, its been updated a bit since the vehicle mechanics overhaul late last year, but the armaments are still the same. I like having the flexibility of choosing the best weapon for a situation, and the firepower to deal with any problem. The 6 laser cannons are automatic turrets, set around the sides of the vehicle. Everything else is manual and mounted on the turret (coaxial mounted 30mm chaingun and grenade launcher, missile racks are at the rear of the turret). Grenade launcher is loaded with incendiaries for setting things on fire from the safety of my vehicle.

I prefer to use the turbolaser and other area affect weapons on manual only (except in case of emergencies) because of the blast radius.You can damage your own vehicle if the turret shoots something that is too close, and its safer to use for combined arms fire support when you are outside the vehicle, for the same reason.

Worst it’s ever done to me is yellow a few armour panels, maybe 30mins total and a welder to fix and that was clearing out the name plate of a fair sized town.

Yep, that sounds about right. It annoys the piss out of me having to fix that stuff all the time though. Also, while generally the damage is not bad it CAN irreparably damage something delicate like a camera or floodlight, necessitating replacement.

The biggest issue for me is the danger of it shooting at a zombie that is right up in my face when I am outside the vehicle, which can and will hurt you badly without power armor, and would be outright lethal to any NPC followers.

1 Like

Aye, I’m extremely paranoid about having them set to auto while me or my team is outside the vehicle but I’ve found them to be fine while inside and set to auto before coming into range, they just kill everything before it gets too close. Keeps deafening my team though :sweat:

edit: I only really mount reinforced headlights and I set them back a bit , protects them from collisions too

1 Like

Miria gave the pile of loot a dirty look, while she was grateful for the sheer amount of useful equipment she’d managed to scavenge she hadn’t realised quite what she was letting herself in for when she’d told her team she’d be scouting out the underground area alone. She had opted to leave the rest of her group behind ostensively to guard and be guarded in turn by the Dauntless. Ryan and Alycia still hadn’t fully recovered from their captivity and Miria didn’t want to leave them unprotected. Who could of known the govenment had managed to build such an elaborate underground rail network without the general populous realising…

12 labs. AT LEAST 12 labs, I’m not even done exploring yet, mfw

7 Likes

I met a Skeletal Juggernaut. Crossbow bolts barely scratched it. 9x19mm bounced off of it. I ran away.

I came back later.

.50bmg did the trick. It cost me 5 of my remaining 18 rounds. It was worth it.

1 Like

00 shot and shotgun slugs will do the job in a pinch if you have enough, NOT THE BEST but I tend to find a boat load of these. Keep your eyes peeled for a Saiga-12 or (if you are using gun mods) a Kel - Tec KSG they have 10 rounds and 14 rounds respectively, focus on head shots. Or you can just take a sledghammer to them, that works surprisingly well with decent melee skill.

1 Like

Saiga-12 with a drum mag. 20 rounds of shotgun goodness.

2 Likes

Shotguns really are nice, early in my recent play through they were my go to for juggernauts and bio operaters. Nothing like popping a bio operater with two 00s to the brain pan, hucking him in the back of a van and legging it :smiley:

1 Like

Complains about amount of labs…
Finds this:

2 Likes

Well the 120 is installed. Now to find a suitable target. And to avoid the temptation to replace it with a 155 when I find a SP howitzer.

And then promptly destroyed it when I accidentally backed into the tank that ‘donated’ it. DOH!

1 Like

Ayyy, sorry for the almost week-long hiatus, got a bad case of the “Wow I’m lazy as hell and really don’t want to do anything today” and “Wow, that’s a lot of work days…”. Let’s just say that I’m already getting that feeling that people get in college once they realize that they get no break at, and I’m not even out of high school. (To be honest, at least with my job for how low wage it is, I can still say at least it’s partially morally right in some more abstract ways). and that plan for a survival guide is right now on a back burner until I completely update this (micro?) series.

Part 4:
Manik woke to the damp surroundings of her newfound home, with the ashes of last nights fire laying in the wood stove beside her. Well, a newfound home wasn’t the exact word for it, but it was her newest so far. Was it a Saturday? Sunday? Manik couldn’t tell; she could tell that it was almost 8 weeks since The Cataclysm had started…

Those 8 weeks were by far the longest of weeks of her life and weren’t exactly the easiest either; she couldn’t even remember most of them either but she could at least recount:

In her first week, it was all about food, because Manik already had more than enough water from the crevice. It took her a while, but she finally got desperate enough to crack open a pine cone and cook the seeds inside, which felt energizing and refreshing at the same time. Manik dropped everything she was doing and grabbed her pack to harvest the nearby pine trees for everything they had on them. She then started the strenuous process of cooking every single one, which helped her learn a lot about cooking too.

Solving her dire food situation, Manik decided she had to learn a lot more about her surroundings and survive the harshness of the forest. In the meantime, she decided to pick up a book about sewing to take up any little free time she had. One of the patterns in the book gave Manik a genius idea: Duffel Bags! More storage for more food and loot with no drawbacks! Manik Quickly set off to put her pattern together and crafted a rather crude duffel bag. Once she placed it on her back she finally started to feel the encumbrance setting in as she felt it harder to move around her home as easily.

In Manik’s second week, she was steadfast on finding out if maybe there was a city to the northern parts of the road she had not yet found. She packed with herself a ton of the pine nuts she had cooked in the aforementioned week, her slightly damaged cudgel, and finally picked up her new duffel bag for the journey.

Along the way she found a strange almost demonic-looking dark humanoid looking over the bodies of some nearby survivors. When Manik approached, the thing quickly shuffled away without a single demeanor of hostility. Manik hurriedly searched the bodies- sure being a scavenger wasn’t her way of doing things- but humanity was a far cry from its honor-bound systems. Searching those bodies, however, wielded herself a new knife: Metallic- of course- but with a curve at the end of it and sawteeth on its spine; and of course some clothes for rags she could use on other sewing projects.

Surprisingly traveling down this endless road didn’t scare Manik too much, she had seen shit in that first week of just trying to scrape by in… Westfield? was that the town? Manik couldn’t remember exactly, she knew she wasn’t forgetful, but something in her mind tried to block out the memories of her past. Her daydreaming brought her to another group of corpses with lab coats and some sort of mold nearby. This time, when approached, the mold slowly fled from Manik… So Manik decided to try and give it a few smacks with her cudgel for cathartic relief. While stumbling around, Manik gave a good thwack on the mold, but then saw near the grass by her foot a shiny stick in the field of bodies. She approached cautiously and picked the object up, it seemed to be a staff with an engraving of “L-Stick” on its side.

Sorry, these past few days I’ve had more time to play some CDDA and have made some strides, (from where Manik is at currently, 30 days have disappeared in a few hours with no end in sight) so I’m taking a super lazy path of just making an update rather than just some stories from her days…

1 Like

Started a new character after my previous one got bodied by two shockers.
Recruited an NPC with level 5 unarmed, 5 melee, 8 dodge, and the Fluffy Tail mutation. They solo’d a hulk day 1.

2 Likes

Nothing too remarkable in recent days - save perhaps for the bit where the shocker corpse I was dragging to some nearby shelter decided to re-animate mid-move and give me the serious joy-buzzer treatment before I was able to beat it back into the ground.

1 Like

Nine levels deep, man this place is huge!

6 Likes

Jesus Christ is that a lab? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a floor that size. You using a mod, or is that just a fluke of the RNG?

3 Likes