What would be the size of stuff?

I’m assuming tiles represent a space of a certain size in square meters/square feet. Anyone knows what size would this be?

When I did my render of the RMCC I went with 4 feet by 4 feet, because a normal “bed” is two tiles long, assuming average height is 6 feet it gives a bit of buffer for things

I thought it was two meters square.

[quote=“deadmerits, post:3, topic:4249”]I thought it was two meters square.[/quote]AFAIK that’s the represented size of the tiles in Dwarf Fortress.

I assume that each square in Cataclysm is either 1 square foot (30 square centimeters, for those of you who are not in the U.S.) or 1 square yard (~1.08ish square meter)

Hmm…
1 square foot seems far too small to me.
1 square meter/4 square feet sounds about right…

It’s kind of weird, though. Trying to figure this out, I was driving in a car at 32 km/h, and the car would advance two tiles per turn. If a turn is 6 seconds, that would mean each tile is ~27 square meters (~88.5 feet)…

[quote=“Ideka, post:5, topic:4249”]Hmm…

It’s kind of weird, though. Trying to figure this out, I was driving in a car at 32 km/h, and the car would advance two tiles per turn. If a turn is 6 seconds, that would mean each tile is ~27 square meters (~88.5 feet)…[/quote]

If you want to get nitty-gritty about it CDDA’s tiles are, to an extent, arbitrary. 4x4 Feet is just what I used for the RMCC and it seems to have worked out well for the purposes I needed the info for.

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:6, topic:4249”][quote=“Ideka, post:5, topic:4249”]Hmm…

It’s kind of weird, though. Trying to figure this out, I was driving in a car at 32 km/h, and the car would advance two tiles per turn. If a turn is 6 seconds, that would mean each tile is ~27 square meters (~88.5 feet)…[/quote]

If you want to get nitty-gritty about it CDDA’s tiles are, to an extent, arbitrary. 4x4 Feet is just what I used for the RMCC and it seems to have worked out well for the purposes I needed the info for.[/quote]
What does that mean though? Why exactly did you need to know that to build the RMCC?

[quote=“Ideka, post:7, topic:4249”][quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:6, topic:4249”][quote=“Ideka, post:5, topic:4249”]Hmm…

If you want to get nitty-gritty about it CDDA’s tiles are, to an extent, arbitrary. 4x4 Feet is just what I used for the RMCC and it seems to have worked out well for the purposes I needed the info for.[/quote]
What does that mean though? Why exactly did you need to know that to build the RMCC?[/quote]

I did a Google Sketchup render in my spare time at one point

That was amazing. I’ve never seen the RMCC other then the ASCII version.

And I may very well have been using numbers from dwarf fortress… I need to take better notes.

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:8, topic:4249”][quote=“Ideka, post:7, topic:4249”][quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:6, topic:4249”][quote=“Ideka, post:5, topic:4249”]Hmm…

What does that mean though? Why exactly did you need to know that to build the RMCC?[/quote]

I did a Google Sketchup render in my spare time at one point[/quote]
Oh, wow. That’s nice.

Well I guess my question is answered.

Sizes fall into three categories that are more or less internally consistent but not consistent with each other.
-single-tile objects (monsters, characters, loot, furniture and vehicle interior elements, machinery, etc) which are essentially un-scaled and might represent anything from thirty centimeters to three meters.
-vehicles, buildings, towns, large-scale terrain elements are all roughly to scale at about 0.5 meters a tile (a 4 tile wide car would be about 2 meters wide, a 20 tile wide small house would be about 10 meters wide, etc).
-travel speeds, which are scaled at around 20 meters per square.

I have been operating under the assumption that every terrain/vehicle/building tile was 1 m^2. It makes sense when you consider terrain like doors, fridges, dressers, etc.

Yeah i also assume a square meter for convenience but i think the sizes of cars make them something between 2 feet and a meter