What to do next

Okay, so it looks like I have a promising character running here, finally.

I started with an internal furnace and scent vision, from the android trait.
On Day 1, I found a glowing pin, and 2 bottles of mutagen. Thanks to my robust genetics, I am now terrifying, have full night vision, and infrared vision. No negative mutations so far.

I dropped the pin, so no more random mutations for now.

On day 2, I found a semi truck next to another evac shelter. I was carrying some gasoline just in case, and got it started, and filled up it’s 4 gasoline tanks at a gas station. Its in pretty fine condition, although it lacks 1 roof plate above the sleeping cabin.
Spent the rest of the day getting cooking and mechancis to level 2.
Night 2, couldn’t sleep, tested out my full night vision and looted some outlying houses. Zeds didn’t seem to notice me at all. I made sure I kept them out of my full night vision range, but could still see them as ? thanks to infrared vision. It loos like that has a larger range than full night vision.
Day 3. I drove around the countryside today, decimating wildlife with my car. Found 7 science ID cards, a military ID, tons of generic scientist drops, and military drops. I has so many safety glasses, and 4 kevlar vests in my trunk now. And a loaded grenade launcher.

EDIT: Whee! quaffing another bottle of mutagen gave my the road runner trait. And the only negative it got me was to turn ugly into deformed, and rough skin.

Now I’m pretty noob to the game. I have no clue which skills to get to be able to construct useful stuff, or generally, what to focus on now.
I’m playing with static spawns.
What to do next?

One of the end game goals I’ve been trying really hard to accomplish is to clear out a whole city, usually a small one, and build it up like a fort. Construction skill would play a big part in it. Also having your semi would make it a bit easier to transport materials. But that’s just an idea I’ve been aiming for. Good luck on whatever you decide!

I guess I need to find me a library to kickstart those construction skills then

Bonus points if you can make no entrances beyond flying into it.

Also, I got the scent vision and internal furnace, too!
raises hand

I don’t see a long-term food plan there. Might want to make sure you can last the winter: preserve Meat/Veggy.

Winter doesn’t affect animal spawn rates or your ability to forage for wild vegetables/berries, does it?

Aside from strawberries likely being rotten by then (unless they changed that in dev), not yet. However, since they fixed the infinitely-cookable meat bug, you’d want to either have hunting Down, or lay in a stockpile of food & lumber.

Winter gear is pretty much mandatory and encumbering, though, so however you hunt had better be able to take a penalty.

(That said, a robust temperature system actually would dial critter spawns back quite a bit in the Winter. Minimum I’d accept would be making everything that doesn’t show up on IR either not spawn aboveground, or suffer the effects of Cold-Blooded.)

If you could make it to winter without having at least a few points in survival and the ability to kill most wildlife trivially, I’d be pretty surprised.

Clayton… Here’s an idea…
I just tried out the Archer class (Which many people seemed to have loved, and now I know why)
I’m a noob, I guess, but I made an Archer starting with Level 4 in Archery and Level 2 in Survival, went straight for a forest and made about 50 wooden arrows and a bow (Got string from smashing windows before I headed out to the forest).
Now, already, (With just the wooden arrows and the bow) I can wipe out whole apartment buildings with sever encumberment (As it don’t affect archers much at all -Which needs to be changed of course) without even being touched.
Mind you, I’m playing classic cause this game was owning me with smokers and electric zombies. (I also wish Classic just removed special zombies, not the buildings or other enemies)
Basicly, you should be able to take out a whole town like this. Oh yeah, playing on Static.

This. This so much it hurts.[/quote]
I’m fairly certain that the main reasoning is that things like giant ant hills/bee hives and labs are all tied into the reason why there are zombies in cataclysm:inter-dimensional goo infects the living, then kicks in and brings them back as zombies when they die of something.
Remove that reason, and a lot of the other stuff goes away as well. Though I must say the description should probably be changed to be more clear.

[quote=“Dzlan, post:9, topic:1617”]Clayton… Here’s an idea…
I just tried out the Archer class (Which many people seemed to have loved, and now I know why)
I’m a noob, I guess, but I made an Archer starting with Level 4 in Archery and Level 2 in Survival, went straight for a forest and made about 50 wooden arrows and a bow (Got string from smashing windows before I headed out to the forest).
Now, already, (With just the wooden arrows and the bow) I can wipe out whole apartment buildings with sever encumberment (As it don’t affect archers much at all -Which needs to be changed of course) without even being touched.
Mind you, I’m playing classic cause this game was owning me with smokers and electric zombies. (I also wish Classic just removed special zombies, not the buildings or other enemies)
Basicly, you should be able to take out a whole town like this. Oh yeah, playing on Static.[/quote]

I’ve been wanting to try an archer character, I just love my firearms too much haha.
But I will try it because I’ve had no luck clearing out a town so far lol.

You’ll never persuade me to change from throwing to archery. Never ever never.

@Clayton
I’m afraid large bases are unsustainable at the time, as there are no allies on your side. Having a small base on the outskirts, such as Public Works (which is already a fort) is a good substitute, if you can build turrets.

@martinuzz
A good thing would be to plan an attack on military outpost and a raid on that science lab, also.

what to do next huh?
well just do what everyone else seems to be doing, tons of drugs and od on it :stuck_out_tongue:

if you can build turrets.

Do turrets stick around now? I haven’t bothered making any in so long because of the way that they used to (still do?) vanish when you left the area, I really have no idea.

I have no idea of what you’re talking about when you mention it. Really, no fuss.
My point was, and will be until the very final stages of NPC development, that one just can’t enjoy a 10x10 map squares base (a small town) simply because safety is always an issue as there is dynamic spawning from the pool, even in static mode. You’d need five days just to sketch defense - and there are more serious things other than moats and traps.

I must add that 3x3 (FEMA) is a tradeoff as it lacks infrastructure - and 2x2 (the Works) is well, just perfect as-is.

You can turn off random NPC spawning , but i prefer to make friends with the NPC’s and then lock them in a room just because you cannot make them stay in one place. Sometimes they just teleport to my car , so i had to remove all seats , but i got a bit more storage place for that.

I have one question , do solar panels recharge if they have car roof above them?

This. This so much it hurts.[/quote]

You can edit [tt]monstergroup.json[/tt] to change the spawn frequency of any monster type, even disable them completely. Then, you won’t need to enable the classic option and lose all of the extras.

[quote=“i2amroy, post:10, topic:1617”]I’m fairly certain that the main reasoning is that things like giant ant hills/bee hives and labs are all tied into the reason why there are zombies in cataclysm:
Remove that reason, and a lot of the other stuff goes away as well. Though I must say the description should probably be changed to be more clear.[/quote]

How would you remove that reason by disabling certain types? That seems like ridiculous logic. Games and films have used a variety of reasons to explain the existence of zeds. Some never even bother, at all, to explain how or why they exist. They just do.

But these exist because goo…They have a reason. The logic is: magic goo is taken away, goo powered things taken away…except basic zombies.

The classic zombie mode was a mod somebody had made that just got mainlined. He wanted basic survivalist type gameplay and didn’t like the sci-fi and supernatural stuff so he took them out and added in FEMA camps and LMOE shelters. So the plot line in classic zombie mode is more ‘omg zombies!’ like regular old virus explanation, rather than all the background fluff about extradimensional goo and portals and whatnot.

I agree it’s a little dull, it’s a good easy mode way to start to learn how to play the game and survive without running into any spoilers. IF you added in all the goo related stuff without the goo related zombies it’d just be easy mode with spoilers.