I think I am getting better at this... or just real lucky

So, after countless deaths from trying to rush towns right off rip, I finally started trying to avoid zombies as suggested in guides, at least to start.
[I play with static classic spawns by the way, not ready for all the mutated horrors yet]

I tried to pick around the outskirts of town for some supplies, since the shelter had nothing. Walk up to a window, looks clear so I pry the window open. Get inside, find a pair of sunglasses, and promptly get chased out of the house by a small swarm of 6 zeds. (There were other things I wanted, but had no time) They chased me into the forest a good distance before I lost them, thanks to the ‘Quick’ and ‘Parkour Expert’ traits. (Didn’t realize until then that parkour works on small trees.)

Next stop, another town. This time they cut me off before I even get to the window… Run into a farm, thinking “surely this will be safer.” Follow the road up, forgetting safe mode is off, and see a dozen human corpses. I only see one zombie though, so I move closer, desperately needing supplies… a couple steps is all I need to see that he isn’t nearly as alone as I thought, and I get chased off by several zombies yet again, this time with a zombie dog to boot! (I had to cauterize a bite after that)

Finally, the game starts playing nice, and I find a few more corpses out in the middle of nowhere, in the woods off a road I had followed for the night. My prize? A canteen, binoculars, some backpacks, a variety of pills, army helmet, light amp goggles, (but no means to power it) a pot, some food, and a few other goodies. Just in time too, I was very hungry and thirsty. A fair bit of wandering later and I stumble across an LMOE shelter while hunting. (been using nothing but rocks the whole time…)

Now I have a truck, found at an old farm in working condition, (had to refuel it with a plastic bottle, and the hose I got from the previous owner’s fridge to get it to a gas station, fortunately there was plenty of junk cars, and a bus, for fuel.) with all the contents of the LMOE I gutted in the back, trying to figure out what to do now. I desperately need to repair parts of it, and have a welder, but my skill is too low (ie 0, the only mechanics book I have requires level 3) and I don’t have any of the tools I need to strip cars either.

This is the first time I have ever survived the first night too, and I am on day 5. Have several guns, but my pointy sticks and rocks are all I have been using. (killing a soldier zombie with pointy sticks takes a loooong time, more so when you are only carrying 5 and have to run around him to pick them up.)

Get some coke/meth/adderal.

find pawnshop, get good weapon.

Or make silencer, find some small skill that trains mechanics, then make a suppressor with some cheap shit.

Nice job making it to day 5 though, definitely got the basics down.

Also, go for non-classic, don’t want to get too use to just easy zeds ;).

If you keep playing, you will get pretty good where you can survive to winter. Trust me, its not impossible.

1337 pro mlg Cata player here.

Just made it to day 5 myself (many, many character deaths prior). Started the day off right, with a brisk jog through zombie town. My character owes their life to acid rain and a teleporter. Thought the game was trolling me during mid run, but I think it was a side effect of using the teleporter too often too quickly.

*Sitting on a heap of ammo, with no gun or means to make use of them. >,>

I’m getting some really lucky starts recently…

First time I’ve ever made a crowbar by dismantling a locker rather than smashing it.

[quote=“Daraclore, post:1, topic:3031”]So, after countless deaths from trying to rush towns right off rip, I finally started trying to avoid zombies as suggested in guides, at least to start.
[I play with static classic spawns by the way, not ready for all the mutated horrors yet]

I tried to pick around the outskirts of town for some supplies, since the shelter had nothing. Walk up to a window, looks clear so I pry the window open. Get inside, find a pair of sunglasses, and promptly get chased out of the house by a small swarm of 6 zeds. (There were other things I wanted, but had no time) They chased me into the forest a good distance before I lost them, thanks to the ‘Quick’ and ‘Parkour Expert’ traits. (Didn’t realize until then that parkour works on small trees.)

Next stop, another town. This time they cut me off before I even get to the window… Run into a farm, thinking “surely this will be safer.” Follow the road up, forgetting safe mode is off, and see a dozen human corpses. I only see one zombie though, so I move closer, desperately needing supplies… a couple steps is all I need to see that he isn’t nearly as alone as I thought, and I get chased off by several zombies yet again, this time with a zombie dog to boot! (I had to cauterize a bite after that)

Finally, the game starts playing nice, and I find a few more corpses out in the middle of nowhere, in the woods off a road I had followed for the night. My prize? A canteen, binoculars, some backpacks, a variety of pills, army helmet, light amp goggles, (but no means to power it) a pot, some food, and a few other goodies. Just in time too, I was very hungry and thirsty. A fair bit of wandering later and I stumble across an LMOE shelter while hunting. (been using nothing but rocks the whole time…)

Now I have a truck, found at an old farm in working condition, (had to refuel it with a plastic bottle, and the hose I got from the previous owner’s fridge to get it to a gas station, fortunately there was plenty of junk cars, and a bus, for fuel.) with all the contents of the LMOE I gutted in the back, trying to figure out what to do now. I desperately need to repair parts of it, and have a welder, but my skill is too low (ie 0, the only mechanics book I have requires level 3) and I don’t have any of the tools I need to strip cars either.

This is the first time I have ever survived the first night too, and I am on day 5. Have several guns, but my pointy sticks and rocks are all I have been using. (killing a soldier zombie with pointy sticks takes a loooong time, more so when you are only carrying 5 and have to run around him to pick them up.)[/quote]
Well done. For your next objective I would suggest finding a library and a garage. Read up on mechanics and anything else that peaks your interest. Eat lots of tinned food and canned drinks, find some ammonia or lemons (or hell even a funnel for some acid water) to make batteries, then cannibalize any other vehicles nearby to trick out your ride.

Just a tip: it’s very reasonable to fight off a small group of 6 (or more!) zeds with a simple weapon like a crowbar or a hammer as long as you have enough clear space behind you to kite into. What I do is position myself so that there’s one tile between a zombie and myself then hit “.” until he steps next to me. At that point, you have enough time to take one swing at the zombie before stepping back and, again, letting him come to you. Every once in a while the timings might line up such that they get to take a bite out of you (especially if you miss) but given how quickly you recover while sleeping it’s not that big of a deal. With a nicer weapon such as a Nail Bat or Knife Spear it even becomes fairly trivial to take on much larger groups of vanilla zombies as long as you leave yourself room to maneuver. Gotta watch out of the dogs, though. Those things are killers.

This is just a very minor pet peeve I have, but the technically correct word is “pique”, not “peak” as in “piques your interest.” I only care because pique is such a neat little word that has been almost entirely replaced by his much more popular big brother.

Shortly after I posted I had realized there was plenty of material in my truck to make 3 knife spears, plus I had found a military rucksack at the wreckage I fought the soldier zombie at. (At this point I have so many backpacks, most just sit in my truck as backups) With my new weapons I explored one of the groups of houses I was unable to reach before and found an ‘Under the Hood’ magazine and a wrench. (Just missing a jack and hacksaw now) Finally I can read my way to repairing my truck a little.

[quote=“StoneCacti, post:2, topic:3031”]Get some coke/meth/adderal.

find pawnshop, get good weapon.

Or make silencer, find some small skill that trains mechanics, then make a suppressor with some cheap shit.

Nice job making it to day 5 though, definitely got the basics down.

Also, go for non-classic, don’t want to get too use to just easy zeds ;).[/quote]

I will likely try non-classic, after I die this round. (I am unlikely to last long enough to get bored now that I am trying to raid towns again.)

For some reason, I could not build the knife spear before I left the shelter. I had all the parts, but it didn’t show up for crafting for a long time, might have something to do with the fact that I give traits and stats centered around escaping (Quick, Parkour, Light Step, Night Vision) and learning, (Fast Reader) but don’t actually give him any skills to start.

… And then, until recently, I try to fight off the horde standing in a bathroom doorway… No wonder I died so much lol.

You need Survival 1 to build a knife spear. You can get it pretty easily by butchering bodies, reading “How To Pitch A Tent”, or using “e” on underbrush & berry bushes.

Thanks, good to know. Especially since I just ran over some land mines at a mine field I have been through several times before. (I forgot to pull off the road… silly me)

[quote=“Weyrling, post:5, topic:3031”]I’m getting some really lucky starts recently…

First time I’ve ever made a crowbar by dismantling a locker rather than smashing it.[/quote]

Found all that in the underground part?

Very sweet haul, i usually only find wool gloves and a mystery novel.

StoneCacti: I often find that there’s nothing in the basement -.-

hahaha, Yeah i feel you.

But the game usually makes up for it with many dead scientists, military, and drug dealers ;).

hahaha, Yeah i feel you.

But the game usually makes up for it with many dead scientists, military, and drug dealers ;).[/quote]

I prefer the dealers and military, they at least give me a bag to put their stuff in. Unlike those inconsiderate scientists… >_>

They carry enough water to drown a fish, yet there is never even one backpack in the entire group.

before they added statics spawns, zombies would spawn on noise (you can change this in options). you got about 4-5 hours before zombies spawned in town to grab stuff. you needed this because there were not enough craftables to survive in the woods back then.

took me 50 tries to survive my first day.

its like that in this game. in most games you can go in all rambo like at first because mobs are easy. then they get hard. here you have to be very conservative and run away early.