What SHOULD be more realistic?

A woodchuck would chuck all the wood he could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

1 Like

I’m starting to think temperatures / weather in general needs to be reworked.

Am I really supposed to believe that in New England, in Spring, temperatures “feel” like -60C in the morning? Or that in the Summer it “feels” like 50+ C all season-round? Literally every living creature would die within hours in either extreme scenario.

most of the ‘extreme weather’ conditions revolve around this being a post apocalyptic scenario

… after all, what’s the point of having weather at all if its just gonna be 70 Fahrenheit (21c) at all times, regardless of season

i do feel like there should be some changes… like making winter far worse than what it is, but also slowing zombies to a crawl, so you have to constantly heat yourself up long dark style with makeshift campfires or stoves, but the heat attracts the zombies, and the zombies have like 90% movement speed penalty cause they’re so frozen, but they still deal as much damage as they would otherwise if you get too close.

1 Like

That sort of weather sounds like something for a mod or a different region if it ever get’s developed.

IIRC I heard something about Aftershock going this direction.
BTW, if zombies are very slow, their attacks should become ridiculously easy to block/dodge. And why would the deal same amount of damage? Less speed = less impulse and kinetic energy, therefore less damage. Except some special attacks like grabs.
Ooh, an idea: continuous grabs should deal damage each turn (after the 1st) you’re grabbed - think XCOM2 vipers.

Close, Its going towards a direction with it being very cold, so it’ll be like the opposite of desert mod, where instead of managing heat, you are managing cold and trying to be warm.

I am more thinking that Character::update_bodytemp needs to be reworked, in particular the assumption that the character is always running.

2 Likes

From the other thread: vehicle-mounted utilities should be buffed versus the free item ones:

1. Vehicle welding rig should probably make welding faster - a welder with access to a larger power supply can probably work with shorter pauses and weld thicker metal and faster (due to higher power).

2. RV kitchen unit: cooking is probably somewhat faster if you have a normal sink and mounted plates than having to fiddle with loose hotplates and bottles on a desk somewhere.

3. …

Hahah vehicles are already overbuffed. They’re going to get hit with a nerf bat hard after 0.F when cooking and welding take realistic amounts of energy, which is like 50-100x what things currently take. We’re certainly not going to make them better.

2 Likes

Realistic energy demand will also nerf the standalone items, so…

Has anyone ever suggested adding a tracking skill to this game? I’ve always thought it would be a great addition, not just for hunting/survival gameplay but it could add another level of depth to NPC interactions as well. For example, NPC characters raid your stash, but also leave tracks back to their base. Do you confront them and try to get your stuff back, even though they now have all your guns and ammo? Or you see human footprints but your stash isn’t disturbed, are they planning to ambush you while you sleep?

These ideas of course also necessitate wider variation in NPC interactions, but possibilities that are more open ended from the very start would be great. High enough social skill should make it possible to speak to otherwise hostile bandits, to bargain for your life or maybe even get them to join your side.

Cities should be more torn apart due to chaos immediately following the apocalypse. Now there are car wrecks but there should be more damaged buildings as well. Cars smashed into buildings. Burnt down or still burning buildings, sometimes multiple buildings since no fire dept to stop fire spreading. Buildings hit by rockets or whatever caused the craters that are all over the place. Signs of violence inside of homes.

Lawns should be overgrown by the end of the first summer, where crawling zombies and children should be difficult to see unless they are on an adjacent tile. Also why don’t roads of neighboring towns always connect? Instead for no apparent reason you have to drive across this flat field and there’s no other way to get there, I don’t get that.

3 Likes

Swamps should be much more dangerous. The murky waters and overgrown vegetation are great places for zombies to hide, as well as other natural predators. At the same time, it can be a rich source of food: Birds, fish, turtles, and snakes. Today, swamps are simply a rich source of (highly useful) cattails.

Some sort of camuflag system would be great alllowing you to hide form enemies with the right equipment and allowing certain predators to sneak up on you (just don’t include zombie unless it is a spcific type since zombies don’t have the intelligene required to sneak).

Zombie children should not shrug off .50cal bullets.

6 Likes

to be fair that was probably a graze shot

Someone should go through the code to find the parts that make you more sleepdeprived and consume extra calories for certain actions since this has been addressed by the weariness systeem.

Can you still only attach mini fridges to vehicles, or can you attach full sized fridges now like in Aftershock?

As that might be a realistic element to throw in.

Still minifridges. You can use vehicle coolers to cool an entire room below freezing, but I’m having a hard time getting this to work.

1 Like

Entire rooms? like that of a vehicle or a static house?

Be remarkable if achieved, could find a home base and dedicate a room just for hoarding my food.

static house, I suppose. Yes, I was planning to do that. Add some warehouse shelves and you have 20.000+ L worth of freezer for just 120W power use.

2 Likes