What character build to use as mutant "stock?"

I’ve brewed up a pretty good amount of mutagen with a character without Robust Genetics. Since I want a new character to find it anyway, what are the best traits to give a character whose purpose in life is to find this stash and drink it all? I understand that certain traits predispose certain mutations and categories, the same with negative traits, so which ones do I want, and which ones do I want to avoid? What might such a character build look like?

I don’t really tailor my characters for the mutigen, but rather make it and go from there.

If you were to tailor your characters for mutagen, how would you do it?

I would probably get robust genetics at the start. My experiences with mutagens tended to be pretty bad.

As far as I know, starting traits only catalyze expanded versions of themselves (night vision towards high night vision, pretty towards beautiful, etc). They don’t count as being part of a mutation path unless you get them in-game.

[size=8pt]I have also released a basic edit to the mutations.json file that allows all mutations to be selectable during character creation. As of right now it can be a bit unbalanced and exploited but for role playing purposes, or customizing your character more, it serves a fun purpose. If you are curious then you can find the thread in The Lab - Contributions and Mods section of the forum.

As far as traits to select, robust genetics is probably a must. [/size]

You could go further and refine those mutagens into more specific mutagens; the recipes require cooking level 9, a chemistry set, and a mutagen; but the other ingredients are relatively easy to get.

Slime and two other TOP-SECRET mutagens can give you Robust Genetics.

Alpha, Chimera, and Medical can be learned from special books found in labs.
Medical and Alpha can give you Robust Genetics. Slime and Alpha has a chance of sending you down the “Rotting” mutation tree which is very, very bad though.

[quote=“Anonymous, post:6, topic:4123”][size=8pt]I have also released a basic edit to the mutations.json file that allows all mutations to be selectable during character creation. As of right now it can be a bit unbalanced and exploited but for role playing purposes, or customizing your character more, it serves a fun purpose. If you are curious then you can find the thread in The Lab - Contributions and Mods section of the forum.

As far as traits to select, robust genetics is probably a must. [/size][/quote]
I’ve tried that before and some mutations won’t work when selected this way, particularly stat boosting ones.

[size=8pt]Indeed, having all mutations selectable at the start will cause some issues but I plan to go back and balance it all out as much as possible. Still a fun thing to play around with.

One thing you can do, OP, is edit a profession and give it a lot of mutagen items. Then try out different traits with the profession and see how results/mutations go. [/size]

You know what - go for the spider. It’s hella awesome.

I’m not sure if the mutations have been fixed enough for this to still be valid, but you used to be able to go for some hellspawn of spider/wasp cross.

spider/wasp
Even better.
The only problem with spider genes - at some point you’ll huge some problems with fire.

Alpha only gives the first stage of Rotting, which…does nothing. Get yourself some Regen and that’ll cancel it out.

(Medical gives Unstable Genetics too, and most of the mental disads.)

If I planned on a character mutating xemself from the start, I’d go with Robust Genetics, Night Vision, and probably Fast Healer. Disease Resist and Poison Resist are good ones to have around too.

In terms of what mutation category to shoot for, that depends on your preferences. Melee fighters work well with Beast, and I built two of the four top-tiers with melee in mind. Cephalopod can be pretty nice if you start with extra ST, since the tentacle-attacks use half your ST as the damage.

There are a few things that are good for upping, Night vision can get upped and is great, fast healer can be upped and I think fleet footed too?

I always wonder if i am the only one to never drink mutagens and install CBMs

Human Supremacy, ho.

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:14, topic:4123”]I always wonder if i am the only one to never drink mutagens and install CBMs

Human Supremacy, ho.[/quote]
A purist? I occasionally do that.

as for the OP:
Go for any trait that has an upgraded version as a mutation(like fast healer, fleet footed, night vision etc),(Robust genes being an exception)

The only thing that do starting trait is that it can’t be totally removed with mutagen (purifer will lead you to your starting trait if you evolve it instead of clear it). It don’t count towar something so it does nothing, i could even say more : it will make you less mutate toward something in first place because,as exemple if you pick night vision and drink mutagen the game won’t pick “night vision” as mutation so it’s one less mutation you could earn that could help you and increase a bit the odd you will get a bad mutation in first place. Because of the cost of trait, i find this useless.
Only a few mutation are really hard (if not impossible) to survive with and can’t be avoided with starting trait.
Conclusion starting trait are pointless if you start with mutagen soon and manage to drink enought to get them back, pick stats instead. And robust genetic.

no CBM’s
Your post disappoints Dresden.

[quote=“trusty_patches, post:17, topic:4123”]> no CBM’s
Your post disappoints Dresden.[/quote]

The guy brewing all of this is a failed android who’s come across three CBM stockpiles in the labs he’s looted for ingredients. Don’t talk to me about CBMs. Actually, do. Are there crafting recipes for them? I could leave some of them behind for the new character.

Now I kind of want to suggest a “guinea pig” profession that starts with a flask of mutagen, an uninstalled CBM, and some prescription drugs.

Supreme until I turn on my chain lightning and totally nerd out yelling, “LIGHTNING BOLT! LIGHTNING BOLT! LIGHTNING BOLT!”
:stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:14, topic:4123”]I always wonder if i am the only one to never drink mutagens and install CBMs

Human Supremacy, ho.[/quote]

I play this way semi-often when shooting for more of a “real-world” zombie experience, and less superhero-vs-zombies.

I find CBMs can trivialize a lot of things if you find the right mix of parts early on. I usually end up drinking mutagens after a while just to shoot for better night vision though, and end up with bird legs or tentacles instead. :frowning: