About mutations

It all started with my new game.I got out of the shelter and walked towards the town,to find some dead scientists which apperantly had some mutagen. Having picked the robust genetics trait,i was confident its effects would be good.And they were,as my fleet footed turned into road runner. After some raiding of the town, i found a lab which i entered with the cards i got from the scientists.While i was there,i was suprised to find 2 bottles of mutagen and some mutated body parts.Again, i thought that most of the effects would be good, because according to the wiki, with the robust genetics trait you have an 8/9 chance for your mutation to be good.

After drinking the mutagens and eating the parts,i found myself with a LOT of bad mutations like severe radioactivity,deformed (which i dont really care about because the npcs dont exist yet), carnivore and slit nostrils and almost no good ones. What i am asking here, is if the 8/9 good mutation and 1/9 bad mutation rate is true.

Robust genetics doesn’t give you an 8/9ths chance of getting a good mutation. It gives you a 66% chance of getting a good mutation (as opposed to a 33% chance if you don’t have robust genetics).

Actually, someone dug into the code, and realized that the direct effect of Robust Genetics is to reduce a 33% forced bad chance, to a “mere” 22% forced bad chance.

He then buffed it for 0.5, of course. I think it now gives a 33% forced good chance in the dev version. Not sure exactly what that translates into, in terms of an overall chance, but it should be a fair bit more useful in 0.5.

Ah, my bad. I was looking at the dev code instead of the code for .4. In that case I have no idea what it does currently, but in the upcoming .5 it converts the 33% chance of rolling an “only from the bad choices” mutation to a 33% chance to roll an “only from the good mutations” options.

And if you had a 50/50 amount of good/bad mutations the current dev code will switch it from 66% chance of bad to 33% chance of bad (of course the actual percentage is based on the ratio of good/bad mutations based on your current mtuations/traits/mutation category).

Cant you just save before consuming mutation causing stuff and reload, if the mutations are too bad?

Yeah if you are fine with losing the FUN of dealing with bad mutations. :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree with i2amroy on this, i dont want to savescum to have perfect mutations. Also my OP clearly states that i want to know whether the good/bad mutation values are correct,not how to get good ones.

Yeah if you are fine with losing the FUN of dealing with bad mutations. :P[/quote]
I am afraid mutations like “albino” are too much FUN for me.I can’t handle all the FUN out of waiting half the day inside until night without something to do because every book is already read.

Yeah if you are fine with losing the FUN of dealing with bad mutations. :P[/quote]
I am afraid mutations like “albino” are too much FUN for me.I can’t handle all the FUN out of waiting half the day inside until night without something to do because every book is already read.[/quote]
Albino, not living in the subway? For shame. >.>

Yeah, that’s the sort of DF “Fun” that isn’t for me. If you get a kick out of wandering around a pretty featureless tunnel, hoping you’re playing Dynamic Spawn as otherwise you’re gonna be really bored, Albino could be neat.

I’m greedy and like to be able to explore…and with the new gas pump mechanics, I read it as either you save/load for mutations or save/load for gasoline so you can dig from the subway/sewer to other underground neatness.

me, i don’t like taking a character with smart, road runner, very fast healing and what not and suddenly WHAM, arm tentacles, wing stubs, horn stubs and nausea…and not a single good trait >.>

I then drink a purify, all my good traits go away and am left with trash… it was my ONLY purifier!!!

oh well, back to eating fetuses

1 Like

And this is why I always wait to be full of purifier before drinking mutagen. I never explore a lab without my gallon jug od purifier.

The key to succeed with mutations is telling yourself “enough”. Acquire a nice set and then say “no” to further mutagenic stuff. Still, you can play the game without playing the mutation slot machine if it is too much Fun for you. I have lots of fun and success going without mutations at all. The only thing I even remotely miss is night vision. Sadly, the CBM for it is incredibly rare and difficult to use.

Or you could modify the mutation rules to suit your tastes better. I did that a long time ago but it made the game boringly easy.

Yeah, I should put together an Advanced Guide for the wiki on what mutations justify stopping/purifying.

(Horn/Wing Stubs don’t IMO. Horns adds a bit to unarmed damage and is helmet-compatible, and 2/3 of the Wings are positive.)

I don’t think that bad mutations like albino, light sensitive or naseous add difficulty, they just consume more time. Reminds me of some “difficult” bosses of FFX that are impossible without grinding. Yeah awesome! 6 hours of “difficult” grinding -.-’

And those mutations also just increase the time needed to do something. Waiting for night or cooking more meat/water because I throw everything up again is no challenge, imo.

Herbivore, Tentacle arms/legs or slimy for example are interesting though, because they actually add some real difficulty and challenges.

My opinion.

Actually i am taking everything i said back.Wanting to test some more,i drunk all the mutagens i found in the lab.I ended getting my nightvision to full nightvision and also getting the strong mutation, with almost no considerable bad mutations happening. So it was probably bad luck that i got severe radioactivy and the rest before.

Yea, even if the chances are tweaked, there’s still going to be runs that seem to go against the grain, if you’re running a recent version from git, robust genetics is quite good.

still on .4 as of now, but I’m 100% sure Robust Genetics needs to be either buffed or re-worded. 4 mutagens with only robust genetics, no other traits:

Shouter
Ugly->Deformed
Tentacle arms
smelly
fleet footed
wing stubs

…I just…what??? Im alright with the fleet footed, wing stubs and hell, even the deformed is okay. the Tentacle arms was interesting and I could have run with it (he he, puns :P) and the smelly is a good challenge trait. but really, shouter? only 1 good trait out of 7 total? yikes. This is only the most recent in game test and the most notable. it usually breaks down into a 50-50 grouping with robust genetics for me

I dunno if this is the norm but it seems to be for my characters

Normally, you’ve got a 33% chance of a bad mutation and 66% chance of any mutation. In 0.4, Robust Genetics lower that percentage to 22% chance to have a bad mutation and 77% chance to have any mutation. In 0.5, it has been hugely buffed, and give 33% chance to get a good mutation and 66% to get any mutation.

[quote=“Nopkar, post:18, topic:1038”]still on .4 as of now, but I’m 100% sure Robust Genetics needs to be either buffed or re-worded. 4 mutagens with only robust genetics, no other traits:

Shouter
Ugly->Deformed
Tentacle arms
smelly
fleet footed
wing stubs

…I just…what??? Im alright with the fleet footed, wing stubs and hell, even the deformed is okay. the Tentacle arms was interesting and I could have run with it (he he, puns :P) and the smelly is a good challenge trait. but really, shouter? only 1 good trait out of 7 total? yikes. This is only the most recent in game test and the most notable. it usually breaks down into a 50-50 grouping with robust genetics for me

I dunno if this is the norm but it seems to be for my characters[/quote]

Keep in mind that some “bad” mutations evolve to good ones (and few good to bad ones). Your wing stubs for example have a chance to become insect wings, which make you faster. Tentacle arms eventually turn to 4 tentacles on each side, altogether 8 (many meele attacks!)