Weeping Angels

Yes , i find it a goofy system with goofy movements , where your goofy legs can only move in the direction you are looking at.

Now that i remember the difficulty of the game i just want to try it again. Ah , i totally have no time and would prefer fast action shooter/whatever game to relax instead of turn based life simulator.

Instead of turning to stone when they’re seen (problematic with current sight system) how about they turn to solid stone when they are attacked? They follow you and wait for you to sleep before they attack. Then you could only kill them with that sonic resonator CBM or maybe a sledgehammer or jackhammer after you take a swing at them to turn them into stone. (And of course make them very rare.)

That was pretty much GlyphGryph’s idea.

So basically any attack against them that they aren’t specifically vulnerable to would be turned into a stun instead of damage. Interesting mechanic, you could use the stun time to gain some distance, or possibly set something up to stunlock them permanently.

The Weeping Angels move incredibly quickly when out of sight, so maybe in this implementation, they could be a subplane life-form that’s able to teleport at will, but only if nothing’s looking at it when it teleports. They can teleport about 6 squares in one move, and if they appear adjacent to you, they can attack.

That way, they’re easily outrun if you encounter them in open terrain in daylight, but if you’re in an enclosed urban or forest area or indoors, one could catch up with you in moments if you lost sight of it around a corner.

As for the nature of their attack, how about something like this: They feed off energy in whatever form is most readily available, targeting one of the following - either in a set order of preference, or at random:

[ul][li]Every Plutonium Cell you have, including the charges in your Advanced UPS.[/li]
[li]Every battery you have, including those in battery-powered devices.[/li]
[li]All the stored power in your bionics.[/li]
[li]All the readily-available metabolic energy in your body, leaving you at an extreme level of starvation.[/li][/ul]

A successful attack will also leave you with Teleglow.

A single attack will tend to leave the Angel satiated for awhile, and they’ll let you leave, but they may track you by starting to teleport after you once you’re out of sight.

Oh my, if you loosen it up a bit from “can’t act when seen” to “move slowly when seen” it becomes a very interesting creature that will have a creepy movement pattern of moving very slowly, but you’d never be able to lose it completely. Implementation wise, it gets as much movement as it can use as long as you can’t see it.

Though technically speaking, you might be able to lose one with a fast vehicle, though we could easily override that in the code…

I think I’ll be adding something like this, though probably not calling it a weeping angel, just because if we do that it penalizes people for knowing what a weeping angel is, because it won’t act the same at all.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:26, topic:2674”]Oh my, if you loosen it up a bit from “can’t act when seen” to “move slowly when seen” it becomes a very interesting creature that will have a creepy movement pattern of moving very slowly, but you’d never be able to lose it completely. Implementation wise, it gets as much movement as it can use as long as you can’t see it.

Though technically speaking, you might be able to lose one with a fast vehicle, though we could easily override that in the code…

I think I’ll be adding something like this, though probably not calling it a weeping angel, just because if we do that it penalizes people for knowing what a weeping angel is, because it won’t act the same at all.[/quote]

Uh, I don’t think “teleports to you”, “can never be escaped”, “drains all your device(s) in one shot” and “Only vulnerable to sledge or J-hammers” is particularly interesting. Would turn them off in worldgen as IMO it’s trolling on the devs’ part.

Oppose.

The weeping angels are also kind of out of context in a zombie survival game.

Did they only start existing when the apocalypse started?
If they are moving statues , who created them and what kind of magic did he use?
Why are they only hunting normal people when there are plenty of mindless meat piles in cities?

Well, this isn’t strictly a zombie survival game when you have extradimensional creatures out the wazoo. Anyway…

1: Yeah, but so has everything else. I mean, fungaloids didn’t exist before the apocalypse.
2: They probably weren’t created, with magic or otherwise (Since this isn’t a fantasy game). I imagine they’re a type of netherworld creature that is able to imitate a statue… badly.
3: Why are wolves all out to get you? More seriously, I imagine because zombies don’t have the energy they like?

[quote=“KA101, post:27, topic:2674”]Uh, I don’t think “teleports to you”, “can never be escaped”, “drains all your device(s) in one shot” and “Only vulnerable to sledge or J-hammers” is particularly interesting. Would turn them off in worldgen as IMO it’s trolling on the devs’ part.

Oppose.[/quote]

All I said anything about was the movement pattern. I personally don’t like the draining effect either, or the near invulnerability unless coupled with a severe weakness (for example the concept of attacks against them stunning them instead of causing damage, giving you time to get away).

It’s a bit silly for you to weigh in on an ongoing and very preliminary discussion with “oppose”, because there’s no solid proposal for you to oppose.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:30, topic:2674”][quote=“KA101, post:27, topic:2674”]Uh, I don’t think “teleports to you”, “can never be escaped”, “drains all your device(s) in one shot” and “Only vulnerable to sledge or J-hammers” is particularly interesting. Would turn them off in worldgen as IMO it’s trolling on the devs’ part.

Oppose.[/quote]

All I said anything about was the movement pattern. I personally don’t like the draining effect either, or the near invulnerability unless coupled with a severe weakness (for example the concept of attacks against them stunning them instead of causing damage, giving you time to get away).

It’s a bit silly for you to weigh in on an ongoing and very preliminary discussion with “oppose”, because there’s no solid proposal for you to oppose.[/quote]

So noted. /has seen enough Really Fast dev action to opine early and often

My energy drain suggestion was mostly a speculation on how you’d make an “energy eater” creature without the extreme of the “throws someone back in time and eats their future” attack the original Angels have (which could be awesome in its own way - have their touch trigger a world reset, but keep the character’s stats and carried equipment intact).

I was forgetting that gamers who are fine with a creature trying to rip their character’s head off will be much more upset if it dares to actually rob them of their equipment. A more conventional form of attack would probably be better.

Wouldn’t it be really easy to kill them if they don’t have weeping-angel-like invulnerability? Half of the game is getting zeds to path over bushes so they’re slow and you can kill them without a scratch, an enemy that is slow when you can see it would be easy to kill.

Making them invulnerable to normal hit but susceptible to explosive or fire would be good enough: when you get one, you’d be under pressure to find a way to dispatch it before you drop asleep and it can finally kill you.

Or… they would have both good armor and dodge ranged attacks extremely effectively so you’d have to burn huge amounts of ammo to kill them making it hard decision if to take that route. Ammo is not cheap and it has better uses. You could, but it would be trading off from somewhere else later.

Against melee they would not dodge, but have still great armor and … they would break the weapons used against them really often. Did I mention the poison they release when you melee them? It makes you weak and disoriented for a while. While not immediately fatal, the process of killing weeping angel in melee would make anything else on the scene a huge risk for that period.

One of the great methods of taking one out could be by driving a vehicle at one at sufficient force. Im talking about normal car at around 150mph … I think we can see the caveat here? But its an option. If you have a vehicle.

This way we have actually lots of ways to dispose one, slow ways and fast ways.

Or just use CBM:Sonic Resonator, which instakill them.

Well, you’ll need to find some kind of stuff to prevent melee, or you’ll just grind them down, which ain’t funny.

Doesn’t exactly grow on shrubs, unfortunately.