Proposal: Darkseekers / Vampire-like

Hello, glad to see that Cataclysm is alive and have an active forum. Here’s a proposal I wanted to add in the former forum (whalesdev), so I present you here. Sorry if it has been discussed already, there’s a lot of material to read and maybe I haven’t been able to find it.

[size=12pt]Darkseekers[/size]

[i]As a collateral effect of the infection, there are those individuals who have resisted the undead condition at a terrible price.[/i]

The idea is inspired in “Omega man”, “I am Legend” and vampiric lore.

Darkseekers need to feed on blood of living beings: forest animals, farm animals (if they were implemented) and particularly, survivors like you.

A darkseeker is a former human being keeping the same physical traits and intelligence but with an acquired advantage and a drawback. The advantage is a ultra nocturnal vision which allows them to see at night with a radius of the half a human can see at day; the drawback is that they avoid daylight because it damages them so badly to the point of burning and experiencing self-combustion. During drizzle, rain and storm they can go outside although acid rain hurts them the same as you.

It is UV radiation what hurts them so that UV lights should exist as a item to use it against them. You may find UV lights in labs, some police stations and in banks, where are used to check bills. Still, visible light may stun them and make them run away few meters until they become used to. Whenever they sense the dawn, they let you and run to go to the nearest shelter.

The cities inhabited by darkseekers are different from that of zombies. During day they dwell inside of buildings completely boarded up, with some self-made traps for defense against potential invaders. They also can be found in subway and sewers. At night they go outside to hunt and if they are aware of your presence they chase you. They are hungry and highly psychotic.

This offer a different approach to raid cities with respect to the zombies’ cities: at day you are able to enter in houses with the light as your main ally and raid and hunt them with some of violence, though. At night you are the prey and you should run out of the city and its surroundings or fortify yourself and resist all night long the siege whenever they find you.

You may found corpses of wild life around the city or eventually a camp of prisoners who are kept alive to be blood drained periodically in case the darkseekers still have maintained some sense of order instead of being hunger-driven. The city is also full of traps to hunt animals or humans, so you may get caught if you are not aware.

Since they are warm-blooded, a good thing to have implemented would be a thermal vision or infrared googles, which are not very valuable to detect zombies or triffids, I think. This could balance the natural advantage of darkseekers at night.

I have written in bold the items or ideas derived from the main one.

ps: I would like to see farm animals like a stray cow to have again burgers, yum.

I had a poor knee-jerk reaction to the word “vampires”, but after giving it a read it actually fits into the lore just fine.
Never been a fan of the UV-immolation thing, but damage/death on sunlight exposure is just fine. The run away from light mechanic will be challenging for AI, but that’s ok.
So would these guys displace zombies or spawn along with them?

P.S. Cows are in.

It’s already planned to add Vampire Cats, called Orleks, which are going to be fairly similar to what’s described here.

So would these guys displace zombies or spawn along with them?

I haven’t commented that aspect deliberately.

My thoughts depend on the feasibility and easiness to code a monster vs monster AI in case they meet the other. In case it is difficult, as a sensible proposal I think darkseekers may let zombies around until they become a nuisance, and zombies do not try to attack them because they smell “different”, probably because of the antigens that rejected the infection.

The starting cities of darkseekers would be zombie-cleaned for urbanity reasons and to make attractive to survivors to come in to the trap.

Fair enough thematically, but I’m a bit concerned with Darkseeker towns being a bit OP for the player to encounter if they’re cleared of zombies, if you don’t know it’s a trap that’s one thing, but once you know the secret you can just stay out of town at night and loot to your heart’s content.

That’s just a detail though. I could see perhaps reducing zombie spawns based on their presence, after all, would the darkseekers have had time to systematically butcher every zombie in the city already?

Just realized, half of all houses have basements now, which plays right into this :smiley:

didn’t know the basement feature, good.

I don’t know exactly how to modulate the presence of darkseekers and zombies so as not to design a too difficult challenge, but a few zombies do not hurt anybody I suppose…

Are the related features like IR-vision or UV lamps implemented or planned?

The way the Orlek’s were going to work was using a system similar to Jabberwocks, except town based, and giving them a “lair”.

Honestly, either implementation of vampires is, I think, a bit beyond the system we have in place right now if we want them to actually be decent - for example, there’s no actual mechanic for handling nocturnal static-spawn creatures moving in and out of a “safe” place during the day.

Can we have flying Owl-Cats as well :stuck_out_tongue:

Infrared vision is in the game, both as a mutation and a bionic. Don’t think that there’s IR goggles though (there are night vision goggles that run off UPS).

Dear Bella, Edward’s not a vampyre anymore - he’s a fatcat-zombie now. :slight_smile: