The Watcher

I don’t know if anyone suggested this, but with all sanity and morale talk I thought it would be an interesting addition. (Also take note that I’m writing this on no-sleep)

What if we had an enemy that stalked your character, and not like a weeping angle type thing. Think Slenderman only it doesn’t impale you on trees, all it does is watch you and drain morale, it also makes it hard to sleep since it will watch you sleep and teleport away when you wake-up.

Triggers for the mob to spawn:
-Finding a it’s artifact
-Teleporting to many times
-Low sanity (It shows the damaged mental state of your characters mind)

It would be a man that was fused with a teleporter (somehow), or it could be a hallucination showing your own damaged psyche.

Creepy, sounds like fun.

Perhaps some way for it to deal real damage though? OOH, decrease your regen instead! That is, if you let your morale get too low after you’ve become stalked.
You’ve have to make it somewhat obvious there’s something doing this though- dream messages, a puff of dark smoke on wakeup that lingers a couple turns, maybe catch a glimpse of it around corners before it teleports, but you can’t inspect it while it’s in ‘watching mode’?

Question: how to get rid of it? Small relic? A craftable made from nethercreature parts? Whatever it is, it’ll be hard to strike a balance between annoying RNG reliance and an actual challenge.

Traps, presumably. Maybe if it wandered a bit while it watched you, or left a lingering puff of smoke at the same spot where it vanishes, allowing you to set up a trap for it when it appears again.

[quote=“GrizzlyAdamz, post:2, topic:4463”]Creepy, sounds like fun.

Perhaps some way for it to deal real damage though? OOH, decrease your regen instead! That is, if you let your morale get too low after you’ve become stalked.
You’ve have to make it somewhat obvious there’s something doing this though- dream messages, a puff of dark smoke on wakeup that lingers a couple turns, maybe catch a glimpse of it around corners before it teleports, but you can’t inspect it while it’s in ‘watching mode’?

Question: how to get rid of it? Small relic? A craftable made from nethercreature parts? Whatever it is, it’ll be hard to strike a balance between annoying RNG reliance and an actual challenge.[/quote]
I was guessing that you get rid of the relic that triggered him, or glitch it to where he teleports in front of your car…while your driving it.

I was guessing that he whisperers to you while your dreaming so you know he’s there.

What if you just had a pack of pet dogs sitting around? Would they be able to take him out?

What if you always sleep in a shelter kit, so there’s no space for him to spawn?

[quote=“Inadequate, post:5, topic:4463”]What if you just had a pack of pet dogs sitting around? Would they be able to take him out?

What if you always sleep in a shelter kit, so there’s no space for him to spawn?[/quote]
Dogs would growl and bark at him, maybe attack but he’ll teleport away

He opens the door and stands in the doorway

Oh man, dogs is a good idea- I’d say having one around would negate the effects. Wouldn’t keep him from stalking you, he just wouldn’t be able to do anything about it while that dog’s around.
Kek, you lose your dog and your character gets all depressed. Player would put one & two together & assume it’s because the pet dog died- imagine their reaction when they find out they’re actually being haunted by an evil kami stalked by a nether-creature.

I’m not opposed to a little wandering, but just regular old traps doing them in would be too easy. Wouldn’t be opposed to a very, very high evasion chance concerning traps
-perhaps if he triggers one he poofs away, letting you recoup your sleep & morale for one night?

Just apply the debuff, (HE’S IN THE TENT WITH YOU), perhaps more depending on how limited the engine is.
If it’s just an enclosed space, that wouldn’t have an effect- he can be just outside it sapping your energies.
If it’s a different z-level or something, it’d be more complicated.

Oh and, not the artifact, a relic- the little baubles you find in cathedrals.

An enemy that can’t be directly attacked is already difficult enough, I don’t think it should be limited to one or two incredibly specific ways of defeating it.

But what he is saying is it drops your morale not your health balancing the two in my opinion. If you cant kill it you live unhappy. I think a special way to rid a demon/spirit thing like that would be a cool addition.

If your morale is low enough you can’t craft food and water, dooming you to a slow, painful death. The game doesn’t need any more custom monsters with obscure methods of killing them that are never documented or hinted at anywhere in the game. Even the toughest otherworldly creatures in the game at the moment still die to shooting/stabbing them enough.

I never said it should be implemented, i just said it was cool. It would make a cool mod though.

Well, you should probably make that clearer from your post, because otherwise it sounds like a note of unequivocal support.

They aren’t undocumented/hinted at- like we’ve discussed they’d need clear indicators. They also aren’t immune to bullets- they’re just not around to let you shoot them. Meanwhile there would be multiple solutions- relics and the extremely common dogs would ward them off, you can rely on your stockpile of delicious food & gaming devices to get important things done, and we haven’t even discussed permanent ways to kill them besides trapping & waiting.
Further, as mentioned, they don’t attack you directly. It’s a different kind of challenge, and one well within the reach of anyone who uses teleporters, deals with artifacts, or decides being insane is a risk they’re willing to take.
I said good day sir!

There’s not that many ways to indirectly kill enemies in this game. If you count turrets as traps, then it’s pretty much limited to traps and friendly allies nearby, and you’ve already dismissed those out of hand. If a new player encounters one, he’s not going to know ‘this is a creature that only appears when you’re sleeping, I should use a relic to ward it off’, he’s going to imagine it’s a radiation effect or something. You’re talking from the perspective of someone already used to all the enemies in the game, but a new player won’t have the slightest clue. As of now, the only suggested methods of taking it out are disposing of the relic, which only applies to one of the three suggested methods for summoning it, or glitch the game somehow, which shouldn’t ever be a requisite for killing off an enemy.

Okay I need to make a few things clear.

1. The car thing was a joke (because half the fun of Cata is the glitches)
  2. It would make direct references to the relic that summoned/lured him, his relic though would be a powerful relic, but he’s immune to it. So it’s a trade off it’s either A. Have the power that the relic has, or B. Have him stalk you, until you figure out a way to kill him
  3. He’s supposed to be like a puzzle, you figure out his strengths and weakness’s by watching his behavior. Example see how many tiles he teleports, and set-up a trap on the tile he would appear on.
  4. Trap the surrounding area of your sleeping area, you sleep in a tent, place traps in front of the door and disarm them when you wake up.

Again I’m still figuring out the enemy and how he’d work, I just wanted to voice my idea.

If traps and allies can deal with it that’s fine, I was mostly responding to the people suggesting otherwise. Without those two it results in an enemy that can only be dealt with in a very specific way, and that’s not something that should be encouraged. An enemy that can’t be directly attacked is challenge enough, there’s no need to rule out the two main sources of indirect damage on top of that. It punishes the player for not thinking exactly like the developer, rather than rewarding thinking out of the box.

Good explanation. I can dig it!

Exactly I didn’t even say traps can’t hurt him, he’d be way to OP. Also I meant artifact, so yea fucked up there. Really, I didn’t want it to be a nether creature either, it’s just some insane mutant guy that fused with a teleporter, think of Golem, all he wants is one thing you either refuse to give it to him and figure out a creative way to kick his ass, or you just give him what he wants and he’ll be on his merry way.

That’s truly awesome concept.
Another kind of enemy, truly rogue-like.

So… a Boogiemen? Something wrong and shadowy that doesn’t directly try to hurt you, merely observe and actually flees effectively if confronted?

I could get behind that, a reason to litter various traps around my home at least. Could even be a class of creature or AI type that only harasses you or reveals itself when it judges you can’t fight back or are otherwise indisposed (I know we already have some wild animals that are too cowardly to attack if you are fully, but won’t hesitate if you are wounded.)

The feel of paranoia due to loneliness is a good thing to foster in this game I think. Some extradimensional creatures may be simply curious or even intelligent enough to be entertained watching you and your ways, while having no desire or will to communicate effectively.

I could imagine awaking to the sounds of something rummaging through my stuff in another room, loading and unloading my weapons… opening containers… tasting food, drink or drugs (this could get really amusing as it’s own behavior)… even obsessively assembling or disassembling different items… as it it was studying me.

I creak open the door catch a glimpse of something… it’s gone.