Weapon Idea - commando warbow

I haven’t made any new items for ages, and was thinking of getting back into it. I have an idea for a kinda odd weapon, thought I’d describe it here and see if anyone thinks I should bother making it.

The Commando Warbow is a highly specialized weapon, designed for black ops missions that require a very unusual tactical approach. It resembles a large metal crescent with a single cutting edge along the inside, with handles built into the outside edge. It kinda resembles a Bat’leth from Star Trek, but without the inside spikes. Melee-wise, it’s quite effective if slightly slow and unwieldy, and is excellent for blocking incoming attacks.

It’s real strength however, comes from the powerful spring assembly built into the body of the weapon, connected to a pair of steel cables that come out from either end. By pulling out the two cables and hooking them together, the blade is converted into a powerful, if slightly clumsy, bow. It’s not the easiest bow to fire, given it’s mass, but it has impressive range due to the high draw weight.

This is obviously a very rare weapon, as it was designed for a very specific set of circumstances. Namely, it was intended for stealth missions where absolute silence was required, along with high killing power. A single well-placed arrow would take down nearly any human target, as modern body armor is largely ineffective against arrows. It also is far more sustainable in the field than suppressed firearms using subsonic rounds; most ammo used is recoverable, and a skilled operative could even craft additional supplies from found materials in an emergency.
It also provides a powerful close quarters option if needed; the cables that form the bowstring can be released nearly instantly in an emergency, and the weapons sheer size and reach are more than a match for a lone enemy soldier.

Does anyone think I should make this? It’s certainly out of the ordinary, but I think it’s a lot more interesting than adding just another firearm. I haven’t made any new gear since the outcry my Heatblades generated, and I’m hoping things have calmed down enough that I can get back to making stuff like this.

In the context of it being in the category of “cool sounding weapons that don’t exist” I think it sounds like a great idea.

I guess a bow sword is a fine weapon and I think it would be okay to have one.

But please dont get the U.S. military into it, they would never actually issue a gun like that, and they barely issue crossbows while on the topic of archery. The stealth they offer ultimately doesn’t compare to the stopping power and range of a suppressed weapon. I actually have my doubts about arrows/bolts actually defeating modern ballistic armor, proven that it has trauma plates inside it.

Why don’t you justify it using the supernatural? A bow created from some mysterious sharp and elastic crystal found in a mine finale (would give more incentive to mine looting too). Sounds at least less out of place.

Or it could be something to be rarely found on mansion weapon collections.

YYEEEEEESSSS MORE BOWS

And I kind of disagree with you, John. Future people are crazy, ya’know? Anyway, if this goes the craftable route, the description should be changed to something more survivor-like.

I would like it better if items like these have to be created, and the recipe for them just sort of comes to the player in a burst of inspiration. So, say your character has fabrication 6, archery 4, and cutting weapons 3, then, after beating something to death in melee with your bow, a message appears “There has got to be a better way! You come up with an idea to improve upon your bow.”, and now you have a new recipe.

I want it so much

The weapon you describe sounds cool, but highly impractical. the cable system would not hold under the high tension that a bow requires, and could not use the cams that you find on a compound bow. without those cams, you lose a great deal of the strength and size advantages. steel cables have no memory, and would slowly relax over time. the temperature of the metal would also affect the power of the bow. the rigidity you need for a cutting weapon would hinder the flexibility you need in the arms to fire an arrow.

granted, all the issues I raise only apply in the real world. they can be overlooked in a fictional world, if you are willing to give up a tiny bit of realism.

that being said, it would be an interesting mod.

Shrugs Maybe we need a bow mod that adds blades on the outside of the bow instead of a full melee weapon turned bow.

But I would much rather have the Warbow.

Shrugs Maybe we need a bow mod that adds blades on the outside of the bow instead of a full melee weapon turned bow.

But I would rather have the Warbow.[/quote]

yea, I like that idea. you could actually mount a blade from the frame of a compound bow easily, and as long as it doesn’t block the arms from moving freely, it would work.

I agree, I like the warbow, I just don’t feel that it fits with the realistic (ish) world this game portrays.

Thanks for all the comments, it sounds like people generally like the idea. I’ll admit this wouldn’t really work in the modern world very well, but that matches with about 98% of all video games ever made.

It sounds like it might be a better idea to have this be a craftable item rather than a found one, it does feel like more of a survivor-inspired weapon than anything spec-ops might come up with. The tough part will be creating a crafting recipe that’s believable; as Obscure pointed out, most normal materials wouldn’t really hold up under the strain this would require.

The biggest problem will be thinking of reasonable parts for the power assembly to be made from; since the frame of the weapon itself doesn’t flex to store energy like a normal bow, the internal mechanism has to store ALL the kinetic energy. This is probably the only part of this that isn’t actually possible in real life. I’ll probably try to think of some near-future tech to fill this plot hole with, maybe some sort of system that uses opposing magnetic fields to create a “spring” that is compressed when the bowstring is pulled back.

I’ll also shift the description to be more “survivor-tech” oriented than military based, which will probably also entail a name change. The original name was going to be “Bowt’leth”, a sort of play on words of the Bat’leth from Star Trek, which this slightly resembles in shape. This actually feels like it might fit if this is a survivorcraft item, seems like the kind of pop-culture humor that any survivor crazy enough to actually BUILD this sort of thing would enjoy.

[quote=“Natures Witness, post:10, topic:6635”]The biggest problem will be thinking of reasonable parts for the power assembly to be made from; since the frame of the weapon itself doesn’t flex to store energy like a normal bow, the internal mechanism has to store ALL the kinetic energy.

I’ll probably try to think of some near-future tech to fill this plot hole with,[/quote]

UPS Powered Bow. Get on it.

Hmm… Well it would obviously require metal and the blacksmith tools… Though I’m not sure how the player would acquire something extremely magnetic.

Well, the entire thing could be changed to where blades pop out from the arms of the bow and then it could be used as melee weapon (I like to think of it as using a quarterstaff, swinging it around ya’know?) or the bow could be entirely made out of metal and blades made into the arms of the bow. Though it makes more sense and sounds easy to craft… Hmm… Maybe there could be a survivor bladed-bow which you can auto learn the recipe if your skills are high enough, and your military version as a spawn, or craftable when you find one of those books in a lab.

Though just my thoughts.

Ninja’d (Don’t try to ninja teh ninjur)

[quote=“Datanazush, post:11, topic:6635”][quote=“Natures Witness, post:10, topic:6635”]The biggest problem will be thinking of reasonable parts for the power assembly to be made from; since the frame of the weapon itself doesn’t flex to store energy like a normal bow, the internal mechanism has to store ALL the kinetic energy.

I’ll probably try to think of some near-future tech to fill this plot hole with,[/quote]

UPS Powered Bow. Get on it.[/quote]

I’d… rather not have it be powered by UPS. It’s a hassle for me to carry and such.

The quarterstaff thing gives me an idea. Maybe we can have a lower grade version of this that’s basically just a single-piece wood bow, but heavy duty enough that when it’s unstrung can be used as a quarterstaff?

The lab book thing gives me another idea; while it doesn’t make a lot of sense for a lab to be working on a bow like this, it would be at least somewhat reasonable if they were working on something similar to the kinetic power assembly that makes this bow work, but for some other application. Then our survivor comes along, finds it, and thinks "I don’t really need this space-age shock absorber assembly for my car, but I bet I could do something really cool with it if I used my noggin and my expertise in black smithing and archery.

We’d just need some way to link finding the thing and the characters’ skill levels in a way that allows you to learn the correct recipe. Maybe this could be combined with some other survivor-esque inventions that use the central item (which for now I’ll call a kinetic battery) in different ways.

For example, we have a lab that was working on this kinetic battery project, our survivor wanders in, and finds their prototype. He’s not quite sure what the thing is, but it does look interesting. Now here’s where things get interesting. The device itself gives you the option to study it, just like a book. While it doesn’t train any skills, it does have a chance to teach recipes, depending on what skills you have. If you have high enough ratings in archery and mechanical, you can have a “Eureka!” Moment and learn how to make the Bowt’leth. The instructions weren’t written on the thing; your characters’ thoughtful study of the item allowed them to come up with the design by themself. Now let’s say your character is more knowledgable in melee combat. With enough skill in melee, bashing, and mechanical, they’ll discover the recipe for the “kinetic sledge” a melee weapon that uses the kinetic battery’s properties to store energy and then release it in a single blow that will send a hulk flying like a baseball at Yankee Stadium.

This would basically be a whole new approach to item crafting in Cata. Not every build-able item was invented by someone else; with enough knowledge, and the right inspiration, our scrappy survivors are more than capable of inventing their own crazy contraptions.

Mmm… I like the gravity hammer.

OH HELL YES YOU GLORIOUS BASTARD. We definitely need more things that the Survivor invented themselves.

As for the kinetic sledge and other such weapons, have it slowly build power in combat (Or on its own), and then you (a)ctivate it to use all the currently stored power on the next attack.

I’d like to see consistent types, bows and hammers use a kinetic module, spears would use an electric one (you most definitely don’t want to be in touching range of something that’s having 20000 volts put through it.) Stuff to have a clear “Future weapon” vibe for each of the melee categories.

OH HELL YES YOU GLORIOUS BASTARD. We definitely need more things that the Survivor invented themselves.

As for the kinetic sledge and other such weapons, have it slowly build power in combat (Or on its own), and then you (a)ctivate it to use all the currently stored power on the next attack.

I’d like to see consistent types, bows and hammers use a kinetic module, spears would use an electric one (you most definitely don’t want to be in touching range of something that’s having 20000 volts put through it.) Stuff to have a clear “Future weapon” vibe for each of the melee categories.[/quote]
I’m so down for this tying into the research system if that ever gets implemented.

You know if you really are concerned about realism, i think the most likelly way to have this somewhat work in realife would be to have it shaped like primitive selfbows (which are basically a straight piece of elastic wood) but made of some sort of intelligent material with shape memory instead. You could then sharpen one or both sides of the bow and get a “sword” more akin to a modern fencing foil.

I would still ask you to reconsider justifying it through the supernatural instead of with science. Attempting to explain how they work is part of why a lot of people have problems with the heat blades, but why nobody seems to care about the fact that the sword you found inside that temple can shoot electricity.

Well, part of that is also the “found/crafted vs random and rare” issue.

There seems to me to be two obvious approaches to the melee bow issue. Both inspired by the age-old issue of archers being vulnerable, but compounded when dealing with a solitary archer…
The first would be the easy approach. Stick a weapon onto the bow. You could probably embed a metal spike into the handle and have an effective, if clumsy, stabbing weapon. Strap a knife to it and it becomes a bit difficult to hold, but the knife is a knife, possible even a dagger, and works just the same except for the issue of a scaffold being tied to it. Or you could tie a club to it, less issues using the club, as you do not care so much about the facing of a club and it cares less about being caught or deflected, but more likely to smash the bow against something and the weight would add to the issues of shooting. But all of them would damage the bow if they were being used…
The second approach would be to try to make something ideal. A bow designed from the outset to be used for both. Build the whole thing from resilient materials, include blades along its length to discourage grabbing, give it some sort of formal weapons, perhaps a spike protruding from the front and an axe at one end for slashing. Excessively heavy, requires quality materials, particularly the string an a leverage system to deal with the suboptimal rigidity of the staff, but would probably function fairly well for someone who didn’t have sense or time enough to switch to a more appropriate weapon once their target’s range stopped being optimistic…

But yes, totally something that would be crafted by a survivor looking to deal with the issues of being a solitary archer, or sold to precat hunters with more money than sense…

Improvised melee-bows would not be DURABLE_MELEE, IMO. Even if it’s made of superalloy it would still take damage with repeated use. Steel things that aren’t Durable tend to get damaged after about 20 impacts, given low skill and average strength, FWIW.

Artifact bow would be fine, IMO.

Liking the repurposed-tech approach, too, but again, that wouldn’t be too sturdy.