Weapon Condition

There’s a difference between durability and holding an edge. Sure the katana might not bend or get broken easily, but it’ll still dull quickly when used to cut through bones on a regular basis (You just decapitated 100 zombies, your katana won’t be very sharp anymore unless it’s made out of adamantium), and trying to one hit kill using a slashing weapon is highly dependent on how sharp it is.

Yea, that’s why it wouldn’t just break, but having a loose sledge wouldn’t hit as hard, it would both move and vibrate, making it harder to hold on to and impact with less force.

[quote=“Máté, post:60, topic:1332”]I’ve heard (real?) katanas are really durable, and if a sledge is getting loose you could just hit the handle against the ground every once in a while until you can repair it properly.[/quote]Well, how often are you going to find an actual real katana? I think all except very few katanas in game should be mall katanas, which may still have a bit of potential given some whetting.
Sudden amazing idea. How about having variants of weapons, with only base weapon stats available though you would be able to appraise it given enough skill in that weapon? So someone with 0 levels of cutting may not be able to tell the difference between a mall katana and a geniune quality one, while at levels 1 or 2 they could definitely tell when a mall kataba is crap unless it is a very good duplicate. And with higher levels your resolution of quality gets smaller and smaller as you become able to tell apart subtle differences in design that make a weapon effective. This could also improve your ability to craft weapons like such to a lesser degree than it’s primary skill, as well as appraising how well you made it. Such as crafting a wooden spear and seeing how badly you have done.
All based on the idea that your skill with a weapon type dictates your familliarity with it.
How does this sound?

I’d have to read up on the katana, maybe I’ll do that later, but…
Have you ever chopped wood with an axe? After a while the head gets loose, but if you hit the handle against the ground with the head up, the sudden deceleration will cause the head to go down and get forced on the thicker part of the handle, so it won’t be loose at all, until it gets loose again, but until then there’ll be no noticeable change in performance.

[quote=“iceball3, post:62, topic:1332”]Sudden amazing idea. How about having variants of weapons, with only base weapon stats available though you would be able to appraise it given enough skill in that weapon? So someone with 0 levels of cutting may not be able to tell the difference between a mall katana and a geniune quality one, while at levels 1 or 2 they could definitely tell when a mall kataba is crap unless it is a very good duplicate. And with higher levels your resolution of quality gets smaller and smaller as you become able to tell apart subtle differences in design that make a weapon effective. This could also improve your ability to craft weapons like such to a lesser degree than it’s primary skill, as well as appraising how well you made it. Such as crafting a wooden spear and seeing how badly you have done.
All based on the idea that your skill with a weapon type dictates your familliarity with it.
How does this sound?[/quote]
I like it.

[quote=“Wayfarer, post:58, topic:1332”]
The various tools could be found in appropriate places - whetstones and oil for bladed weapons/tools could be in hardware/sporting shops, gun stuff obviously in gun stores.[/quote]

Uh…my hypothetical to GlyphGryph was the player dying thanks to their dull Combat Knife and Sharpening Kit being out of Oil.