Very newbie question regarding your evac shelter and maps

Hello all,

I am very new to this game and thus i die pretty often, is there a way to make it that whenever i die and create a new game with my same preset character, that i will spawn in the same evac shelter/map/location as i did before? Or will i need to start all over again everytime i play?

Thanks for helping this little noob out.

[quote=“Rhyd01, post:1, topic:1152”]Hello all,

I am very new to this game and thus i die pretty often, is there a way to make it that whenever i die and create a new game with my same preset character, that i will spawn in the same evac shelter/map/location as i did before? Or will i need to start all over again everytime i play?

Thanks for helping this little noob out.[/quote]

Depends, how familiar are you with C++?

About as familiar as flying an aeroplane in real life (not very).

Well, you’re going to need someone with a bit more experience with C++ than me (I’m a java man), but here is some basic pseudo code that may help them:

private whatever assignShelter

if (assignShelter== null){
assign a shelter
}
else
shelter=assignShelter

When world deleted, assignShelter=null

You’re probably going to need someone to play around with the player and mapgen files to get this to work. I’d be able to do it if it was java, but I’m learning C++ on the fly as I mess with the code here.

The best option you have is to recreate your character until you respawn in the same starting location. It should’t take more than 2-3 tries. The evacuation shelters where you start are usually grouped around the same town or close, and if you mark some location with a spray can, it stays marked on the same map for any character you have. Also make sure you have Delete World set to 0 in options menu.
hope this helps.

BTW, if you want some basic pilot experience, download IL2- Sturmovick. Murder dem nazies in a super realistic simulation :slight_smile:

Well, you’re going to need someone with a bit more experience with C++ than me (I’m a java man), but here is some basic pseudo code that may help them:

assign a shelter
}
else
shelter=assignShelter

You’re probably going to need someone to play around with the player and mapgen files to get this to work. I’d be able to do it if it was java, but I’m learning C++ on the fly as I mess with the code here.[/quote]

I actually thought you were kidding around when you asked if i knew how to code.

[quote=“Ferodaktyl, post:5, topic:1152”]The best option you have is to recreate your character until you respawn in the same starting location. It should’t take more than 2-3 tries. The evacuation shelters where you start are usually grouped around the same town or close, and if you mark some location with a spray can, it stays marked on the same map for any character you have. Also make sure you have Delete World set to 0 in options menu.
hope this helps.[/quote]

Ah right i didn’t know that the evac shelters were relatively close to eachother. It just seemed that everytime i started a new game, it also generated a new map for me. I have Delete World set to 0, so hopefully after a few spawns i will return to the evac shelter that i was working on!

Thanks for the help and advice guys.

assign a shelter
}
else
shelter=assignShelter

You’re probably going to need someone to play around with the player and mapgen files to get this to work. I’d be able to do it if it was java, but I’m learning C++ on the fly as I mess with the code here.[/quote]

I actually thought you were kidding around when you asked if i knew how to code.

[quote=“Ferodaktyl, post:5, topic:1152”]The best option you have is to recreate your character until you respawn in the same starting location. It should’t take more than 2-3 tries. The evacuation shelters where you start are usually grouped around the same town or close, and if you mark some location with a spray can, it stays marked on the same map for any character you have. Also make sure you have Delete World set to 0 in options menu.
hope this helps.[/quote]

Ah right i didn’t know that the evac shelters were relatively close to eachother. It just seemed that everytime i started a new game, it also generated a new map for me. I have Delete World set to 0, so hopefully after a few spawns i will return to the evac shelter that i was working on!

Thanks for the help and advice guys.[/quote]

Nah, I goof on those that don’t need help, and help those that do.

I’m robin troll. Rofl rofl rofl.

Make a preset character. start a new game in the same world.
If you spawn at the original evac shelter, job done. If not, Shift+Q, Shift+Y and repeat.

I generally just delete the world if my character dies. I can see picking up the loot my last (deceased) survivor left around his burning wreck but honestly it feels too much of a cheat to me.

[quote=“Iosyn, post:9, topic:1152”]Make a preset character. start a new game in the same world.
If you spawn at the original evac shelter, job done. If not, Shift+Q, Shift+Y and repeat.

I generally just delete the world if my character dies. I can see picking up the loot my last (deceased) survivor left around his burning wreck but honestly it feels too much of a cheat to me.[/quote]

Same, though I disregard that if it was a “screw you” shelter spawn.

Starting off right next to a fungal tower. life expectancy= about 1 minute.

[quote=“drake1storm, post:10, topic:1152”][quote=“Iosyn, post:9, topic:1152”]Make a preset character. start a new game in the same world.

I generally just delete the world if my character dies. I can see picking up the loot my last (deceased) survivor left around his burning wreck but honestly it feels too much of a cheat to me.[/quote]

Starting off right next to a fungal tower. life expectancy= about 1 minute.[/quote]
I dunno, sometimes the insta-suicide starts are pretty funny.

Also goddamn but fungaloids really do tend to stray far from their towers.
my last shelter was next to a swamp, but the only thing I could see were fungaloids for miles-- without a single tower visable on the map.

[quote=“Iosyn, post:11, topic:1152”][quote=“drake1storm, post:10, topic:1152”][quote=“Iosyn, post:9, topic:1152”]Make a preset character. start a new game in the same world.

Starting off right next to a fungal tower. life expectancy= about 1 minute.[/quote]
I dunno, sometimes the insta-suicide starts are pretty funny.

Also goddamn but fungaloids really do tend to stray far from their towers.
my last shelter was next to a swamp, but the only thing I could see were fungaloids for miles-- without a single tower visable on the map.[/quote]

asks NPC for item

gets an active mininuke

Me: Cracks up laughing

takes a step

boom

Me: laughing fit.

Those are the kind of suicides that I find hilarious.

Yo!
Is it possible to cook some human flesh crisp on a hotplate + gear and make it to go?
Asking for a <1 cooking skill character. Do I start the fire (on sticks and rags), budge the pan or whatever onto it and wait a couple of mins or what?
I bet if I had it with some vodka the smell wouldn’t matter…

[quote=“vultures, post:13, topic:1152”]Yo!
Is it possible to cook some human flesh crisp on a hotplate + gear and make it to go?
Asking for a <1 cooking skill character. Do I start the fire (on sticks and rags), budge the pan or whatever onto it and wait a couple of mins or what?
I bet if I had it with some vodka the smell wouldn’t matter…[/quote]
Do not drop your things onto the fire, it only needs to be within a few tiles to cook things on it.
All cooking is done in the crafting menu accessed with the & key, a hotplate is also battery powered, so it doesn’t need a fire to work.
If you go into the & menu and look under the Food tab, it’ll tell you what you need to cook any given thing.

Just keep the pan or pot in your inventory. As long as there is a fire within 2-3 tiles you can cook or boil water. If you drop stuff on a fire and then wait for a moment before picking it up you just get… lightly burnt chunk of meat.

And yeah, as for the hotplates watch out. Personally I don’t like using hotplates, when I was near a fire trying to cook stuff for some reason it used the hotplate (a perishable source) instead of the fire.
(I generally disassemble hotplates for heating elements and scrap metal. In this incident I forgot I looted one somewhere, since they’re pretty rare for me, at least.)

And for the question about cooking human flesh, in particular: you need to find a specific “novel” (i.e., cookbook of dubious nature) before you can learn the recipes for that.

This game just got a whole lot better.

Specific recipe skillbooks will be in v0.5, I believe.

I wonder if you’ll be able to cook child zombie meat.

Not at present, it’s too tainted. If you can come up with a good justification for how to process the zombie meat so it doesn’t make you sick, then maybe ;).

And yeah, there are two cookbooks in 0.5 that will actually teach you new recipes, as well as a new recipe that’s been added to the electronics books (and is not otherwise available).