Vending machines for more than snacks

Those exist in game, but they currently spawn nowhere.

[quote=“Random_dragon, post:8, topic:10625”]Ah, I see. That explains it.

Maybe we should add another take on the gun store or gun range that uses them? However, I have an idea.

Best place to put them would be in the range itself. The assumption is that they’ve likely already checked your ID before buying some range time, so the dystopian implications of vending-machine-ammo would be sidestepped neatly.

That reminds me, we still need an “airlock” system for the gun range entry. Even if it’s just a flavor detail, since soundproofing isn’t yet an in-game thing.[/quote]

Unless I am just SORELY mistaken don’t they only check ID for guns, not ammo? The assumption being that if you are buying ammo you already have passed gun clearance. Maybe this is only Texas?

Thinking of target ranges… I wonder if adding a few target dummies (handled like monsters but when “killed” or walked in to, drop a item that can spawn it again…)

[spoiler=Something like this? maybe…][code]

{
“type” : “MONSTER”,
“id” : “mon_target”,
“name”: “target dummy”,
“species”:“ROBOT”,//not sure…
“default_faction”:“vermin”,//not sure…nothing should bother smacking it really however…
“symbol”:“T”,
“color”:“light_green”,
“size”:“MEDIUM”,
“material”:“steel”,
“diff”:8,
“aggression”:0,
“morale”:0,
“speed”:100,
“melee_skill”:0,
“melee_dice”:0,
“melee_dice_sides”:0,
“melee_cut”:0,
“dodge”:0,
“armor_bash”:0,
“armor_cut”:0,
“revert_to_itype”: “broken_target”,
“hp”:200,
“death_function”:“BROKEN”,//i wonder if this works…
“description”:“An target plate.”,
“flags”:[“NO_BREATHE”, “IMMOBILE”, “FIREPROOF”, “NOGIB”, “VERMIN”],
}
{
“id”: “broken_target”,
“type”: “TOOL”,
“symbol”: “;”,
“color”: “light_green”,
“name”: “target dummy”,
“description”: “”, //description are sooo not my strong point…
“price”: 12000,
“material”: [“steel”],
“weight”: 2355,
“volume”: 30,
“bashing”: 4,
“cutting”: 0,
“to_hit”: -6,
“max_charges”: 0,
“initial_charges”: 0,
“charges_per_use”: 0,
“turns_per_charge”: 0,
“ammo”: “NULL”,
“revert_to”: “null”,
“use_action”: {
“type”: “place_monster”,
“monster_id”: “mon_target”,
“moves”: 100
}
},

[/code][/spoiler]

don’t you need a stat for how many moves it takes to swing the item target? Also seems like giving it much larger health would make more sense. The kind of target this is would mean that it doesn’t really fall over, unlesss its tied in to a system where it pops up and back down via motors… in which case. It still wouldn’t be destroyed just get a tag for “hidden_target” or something. Maybe only reverts to this when hit with X amount of damage.
desc: It went down, though you feel if it could talk it would say “I’ll be back” should pop back up soon. Maybe try other target while you wait for it.

Kind of hurts the lore though… cuz honestly who makes sure that when the power goes out, that the range will still work?

Just leave them as targets with insane health I think, and also make some paper targets that are one and done. Would be nice if they always took 1 damage per hit though. This way it doesn’t matter if you shoot it with .50 or .22 you still tear up the paper, not disintegrate the entire target.

That one would just be a metal plate that you could just popup, leaving it to show full power of each shot would also allow you to see how effective your armory is without having to find something…

fair it was just something i created on the fly so i have no idea if it works as intended or not yet…

I kinda like that idea. I was thinking simply furniture to shoot at, but targets as monsters might be interesting.

Hmm. Will need to check how each of the states in New England handle that. >.>

An immobile monster with no AI and a ton of quickly regenerating HP is how most target dummies are done. Not exactly realistic, but it would give accurate feedback to the user.

Portal restocksing - No, definitely not. :stuck_out_tongue:

That said one of the bendy lore points is how the vending machines are running. For now the answer is that they’ve got a very small plut battery in them, but my initial stab at making various sizes of plut batteries tumbled due to some problems and I haven’t had time to take another shot yet due to college woes. :’(

That said I’m totally for having more vending machines (or maybe even expanding out some stores to have automated self purchase centers at the front for fully automated shopping of more “common” items), or even having some stores that are basically just vending machine depots. There’s a reason why the JSON code for vending machines allows you to plug any particular item group that you want in there. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also I’m totally for having vending machines make alarms/etc. go off if you mess with them as well as being somewhat more resistant to bashing. It’s not too uncommon for real vending machines to do similar things, after all.

i realy like idea for target dummy

It already exists.
The problem is, making it a non-debug “deployable” monster is neither the proper way to do a target dummy nor the proper way to do gun training.

It already exists.
The problem is, making it a non-debug “deployable” monster is neither the proper way to do a target dummy nor the proper way to do gun training.[/quote]

wow. a bit off topic neh? lol. not that I dislike the direction this topic is going though.

It already exists.
The problem is, making it a non-debug “deployable” monster is neither the proper way to do a target dummy nor the proper way to do gun training.[/quote]

Hmm. Would targets as furniture be more or less hackish?

Targets as furniture would still be kinda along the lines on shooting walls for that 10% exp to the next skill level in heres view.

Not that it would be much worse then using a immobile mob for it

(you know… showing the damage your attacks do should be a world option toggle…)

So if you already have the option of shooting walls for experience, then shooting furniture doesn’t make things worse. A nice flavor detail, maybe. X3