Vehicular Drill

As per http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg5225967#msg5225967

Bumper-mounted drill bits! Yes!

[quote=“GrizzlyAdamz, post:1, topic:5969”]As per http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg5225967#msg5225967

Bumper-mounted drill bits! Yes![/quote]

OK, it would require power, reduce damage to itself and transmitted to the rest of the vehicle, and increase damage done to walls. Could be an interesting project for someone; I’ve no pressing desire to do so, but no objection.

Why not make it work on a slow cruise control into a wall, acting like jack hammers?

I think it’s a little unrealistic to expect someone to be able to single handedly retrofit a mining drill onto a passenger car. Also, it’s probably going to be annoying to code.

also: vehicle mounted saws, forests and zombies beware

Actually a basic machine to drill a hole would not be THAT hard.

Assuming you were in no hurry, went up against low or mid level concrete and dedicated an entire high power slow speed engine to it, you could make some sort of large cylindrical head with “teeth” that rotates slowly and grinds away at the wall.

The usefulness of such machinery ingame escape me at the moment however.

Humbug to ‘it’s unrealistic’. We can already jury-rig nuclear reactors into VW busses no?

One could use it to drill into vaults & the like. Or, we could go the ‘fun’ route and use it to quickly tunnel underground because reasons. The troglodyte’s dream!

Aren’t vaults supposed to have thick steel walls? You’re not going to drill that.
Maybe something along the lines of a giant super thermal lance could soften and perforate it.

I am not opposed to giant lasers. But who doesn’t want their mobile base to be a 'mole’bile base?

+1

Have it work on rock walls and leave rubble. I want a digging crusher to drill out the dwarven halls of armok.

It would be so awesome making a little network in game, where you go across the game in a little hydrogen powered dirtbike in your 3x3 tunnel.

More underground useage. Yes.
Underground UMC YEEEES.
DWARFINESS
FUCK YEAH.

I think you might be confused slightly about how drills work.
Way a drill works:

[ul][li]You press the drill against the object, apply pressure, and then slowly dig away at the thing in front of the drill.[/li][/ul]

Ways a drill does not work:

[ul][li]A giant drill is mounted to the front of a vehicle, and then slams into a wall at 80 mph and miraculously manages to dig through it prior to your car exploding into a million pieces.[/li]
[li]A car mounted drill proceeds at any sort of reasonable speed through solid rock[/li][/ul]

At anything above a slow walking speed (or crawling speed for larger drills) all a giant drill on your car is doing is acting as a giant spinning metal spike. The fact that it is shaped like a drill does absolutely nothing other than make it more likely to break and be slightly lighter than a normal, solid spike. You could use it to go through walls, but the process would look more like “stop at the wall -> very slowly inch forwards” than “drive through the wall”.

So while you certainly could mount a giant drill on your car IMO, the truth of it is going to be much less awesome than just about anything you are actually thinking of.

Why not let us use the diamond thing to make diamond drill bits and make a little nuclear powered mobile in tunnels that can inch through rock, or even just strap fuel tanks to the end of a rod and dig MUCH MUCH faster.

Aslong as it breaks rock walls via collision and doesn’t take huge amounts of damage I’d be fine with it. I could leave my car on cruise control and have it dig out my dwarven halls.

BTW has anyone ever added the wheel locks I suggested? Prevents the vehicle from changing direction?

[quote=“i2amroy, post:13, topic:5969”]I think you might be confused slightly about how drills work.
Way a drill works:

[ul][li]You press the drill against the object, apply pressure, and then slowly dig away at the thing in front of the drill.[/li][/ul]

Ways a drill does not work:

[ul][li]A giant drill is mounted to the front of a vehicle, and then slams into a wall at 80 mph and miraculously manages to dig through it prior to your car exploding into a million pieces.[/li]
[li]A car mounted drill proceeds at any sort of reasonable speed through solid rock[/li][/ul]

At anything above a slow walking speed (or crawling speed for larger drills) all a giant drill on your car is doing is acting as a giant spinning metal spike. The fact that it is shaped like a drill does absolutely nothing other than make it more likely to break and be slightly lighter than a normal, solid spike. You could use it to go through walls, but the process would look more like “stop at the wall -> very slowly inch forwards” than “drive through the wall”.

So while you certainly could mount a giant drill on your car IMO, the truth of it is going to be much less awesome than just about anything you are actually thinking of.[/quote]

Humbug to realism! How do the graboids tunnel hmm?
Though I wouldn’t push for any more than one tile per tick, so long as it’s automated/the PC can hold down 5 to scoop out a long tunnel.

Grabboids tunnel via magic apparently, because they can chase down someone on a bicycle.

Just make this into a mod. Person wants a unrealistic mod? So be it.

I used to tunnel using prodigious amounts of explosives (and for finish work, a jackhammer), but this gives me an idea…

Is it possible to mount external gas tanks onto a vehicle in such a way that they explode in sequence when crashing into a solid rock wall at high speeds?
It’d be pretty awesome (and faster than using a pickax or jackhammer) to build a vehicle that would disintegrate in consecutive fireballs, leaving behind a giant flaming path covered in shrapnel/wreckage, smoke, and gasoline.
I’ll have to find some time to build and test the Rapid Tunneler Mk1 at some point this week.

[quote=“GrizzlyAdamz, post:16, topic:5969”]Humbug to realism! How do the graboids tunnel hmm?
Though I wouldn’t push for any more than one tile per tick, so long as it’s automated/the PC can hold down 5 to scoop out a long tunnel.[/quote]
Precisely chosen sonic tones that cause the rock to crumble before them. It’s like the sonic resonator, but because they have the ability to sense the exact tones required they can use less power and quieter notes to make them break.

(Or at least that’s the semi-logical seemingly coherent reason that I just retconned into place. The real reason is because they were added before we really began to focus on realism and have grandfathered their way through any changes up to now.