Drills on vehicles

Anyways, while I was sitting down I was letting my imagination go wild, thinking about cataclysm I thought, “HEY! Wouldnt it be cool to have big drills on the front of cars so you could easily drive through buildings/zombies?” They would be found at the mineshafts/sites (whatever you call them) and can be attached to your car. Think of the drills that bigdaddys have on their arms in bioshock. Anyways thats another stupid idea by me (200th post :D)

You can already make spikes.

Yeah, but spikes–menacing or not–just hit things, do damage, and eventually break off. A Drill would jam into stuff and tear it apart!

(Mounting a J-Hammer, perhaps?)

You’d probably need to have battery power to run them, and perhaps need to turn them on/off, but I definitely support giant drills as well as bulldozers, though I think the latter are already planned.

Maybe if you install a minireactor etc it would run off that.

Why would you need a minireactor or battery power? Cars have alternators. They run your headlights, your MP3 players, your power windows, your brakes, etc. Car engines can produce plenty of electricity.

Maybe at the expense of running a tad slower.

The electricity you get from an alternator probably wouldn’t be enough to run a giant drill, unfortunately (Much less 5 of them, as my current vehicle would require).
Though I would like to see gas-powered engines producing some power for the car batteries so you can drive around a little bit and then run your RV kitchen.

No… that’s not how car engines work.

The electricity you get from an alternator probably wouldn’t be enough to run a giant drill, unfortunately (Much less 5 of them, as my current vehicle would require).[/quote]

Sure it would. There are commercial jackhammers today that draw 11 amps, and an alternator can easily produce hundreds. A semi rig’s alternator usually puts out a few hundred.

It depends on the size of the engine, sure. A little motorcycle engine probably isn’t doing enough work to generate to 5 drills worth of energy. But any large engine could probably run your comedy electric drills.

No… that’s not how car engines work.[/quote]

Oh really? Okay an industrial drill will run on a moving car without any expense to its speed whatsoever. Im obviously wrong.

Edit: Im talking about big drills, not jackhammers Ones like that

No… that’s not how car engines work.[/quote]

Oh really? Okay an industrial drill will run on a moving car without any expense to its speed whatsoever. Im obviously wrong.

Edit: Im talking about big drills, not jackhammers Ones like that[/quote]

Giant drills on vehicles is cool and all but that image gave me an idea for a CBM version of it replacing an arm, you know like big daddies in bioshock.

For vehicles take the drill up to 11 make it so big and heavy and maybe it will slow you down by it’s shear mass as well as take a long time to install, instantly tears down anything in it’s way when powered.

(thats where I got the image from) I just imagined it on a bigger scale, like, half the size of your car maybe (or quarter)

Drills require that you hold the object you are drilling in place while you use the drill on it. You don’t use drills on your car anymore than you use chainsaws or sawblades. The impact if you are trying to run stuff over happens so fast that you might as well just have used a stationary blade. These mechanical cutting tools don’t work all that well when the thing they’re cutting or drill is there one moment, and immediately gone the next.

Nice going, Captain Killjoy.

I guess you could go slow to drill through buildings…If you wanna be boring about it.

All I’ve done is release you from pursuing an idea ridiculous to anybody who has ever handled a power tool. You and your your time are now set free from the shackles of a poor idea to brainstorm other ones.

Blegh, why else would people play games?._. if i wanted to handle power tools id walk out into the shed. No, I want FUN, if youve ever heard of it, even if it is is at the expense of ‘realism’

Thats what I dont get about this game industry, everythings about making the games more ‘realistic’. But the reason people play games is to have fun and to do what they cant in life. Thats why I applaud games like FC: Blood Dragon /Rantover

[quote=“AerialK7, post:17, topic:1056”]Blegh, why else would people play games?._. if i wanted to handle power tools id walk out into the shed. No, I want FUN, if youve ever heard of it, even if it is is at the expense of ‘realism’

Thats what I dont get about this game industry, everythings about making the games more ‘realistic’. But the reason people play games is to have fun and to do what they cant in life. Thats why I applaud games like FC: Blood Dragon /Rantover[/quote]

Imagine I’m reading a book. It’s a thriller based around a team of crack scientists trying to contain and find a cure for a virus on the loose. After a page of technobable detailing its composition and genetic history, it follows with the line that says “bats are bugs”. You and I know this isn’t true. The story seems to be set pretty close to reality. It’s not discworld, or something that happened on another planet, it’s roughly present day.
Suppose as a friend and doing a friend’s duty, I call up Clarice and tell her after reading her manuscript “you know, bats aren’t bugs”. After this, imagine she replies to me that because this is a work of fiction it’s solely about how much people are entertained.
At this point I get worried, and I say ‘Clarice! You don’t have to just leave it in there like that, all you need to do is to change bat into some other sort of animal that’s a bug, simply change the claim into “bats are mammals”, or simply leave it out and find another explanation to fill out that mechanism required in the story’.
There would be no loss of any entertainment value or fun if any of these three options are taken. All that would be avoided would be bad writing, or a poorly thought out idea.

Realism and fun are not mutually exclusive. It takes a great deal of skill to weave these two together into a believable setting. Making stuff up that’s hard to believe or comprehend is something anyone can do.

So drills were a stupid idea. What about an industrial wood chipper?

Combine harvester~

But then there is Rule of Cool. sure a giant drill on a car doesn’t make much sense or incredibly useful but it I would imagine it be rather cool to use a giant drill on a car to smash through stuff.

[size=8pt]I’ve got to stop linking TVtropes.[/size]