Vehicle welding rig

I have found a welding rig in a farm’s barn. I said myself how I’m lucky, but how do I power it? I don’t have any batteries and the description said something about being powered by the car’s battery. So how do I make it to work?

You need to attach it to a car before it will work.

Or any ‘vehicle’.
(Vehicles do not need to have wheels, engines, seats… they only need that if they’re intended to move).
You’ll need a regular (or makeshift) welder to install it though.

I found out, that I have to install a storage battery first to my car. Thanks anyway.

Any kind of battery will do actually. A well-charged car battery will keep you in welding for a long time, a charged storage battery will last forever.
(A motorcycle battery on 6% will get depleted by heavy welder use though)

Well, I picked up the welding rig and went to install it in my car, but I did not saw that option there, so I guessed, that I need that storage battery.
So I can attach it to the car battery? How should I do that? Sorry for my lack of understanding. :slight_smile:

First off, make sure you have the required skill to install, (It’s like 5 or something isn’t it?), that you have a spare welder to attach it to your vehicle of choice, and most importantly, that you are attaching the rig to a FRAME, with nothing else installed on that tile.

To be able to install anything you will need a wrench, a welder with power remaining, and welding goggles.
Then install it to a square that doesn’t have anything else important on it.
Then you can craft when standing near it and you will automatically use it. Doing so with deplete your car’s battery, though not much.

Thanks, so I have to add a new steel frame to the car. It’s a generic car you could find on the streets, I just repaired and refilled it.

You could also just yank out one of the back seats and install it there, that’s what I always did when I was bug testing the welding rig.

What IS the difference between the various battery types anyway? Capacity I assume?

I’m just not sure what the point in a “storage” battery is…

[quote=“DG123, post:11, topic:4707”]What IS the difference between the various battery types anyway? Capacity I assume?

I’m just not sure what the point in a “storage” battery is…[/quote]

A storage battery is just FUCKING MASSIVE in terms of power storage. The only thing I can think of that really justifies using more than one is if you were driving an electric car through town with headlights in every direction, recharging all your uncharged UPS’s, and being absolutely covered in fusion guns.
It’s basically ludicrous power capacity, if you didn’t catch that.

I had a 3x3 grid of solar panels with storage batteries powering my welding rig, mounted forge and kitchen unit. I also made another welding rig outside, connecting to my indoor crafting area for my car.

[quote=“Datanazush, post:12, topic:4707”][quote=“DG123, post:11, topic:4707”]What IS the difference between the various battery types anyway? Capacity I assume?

I’m just not sure what the point in a “storage” battery is…[/quote]

A storage battery is just FUCKING MASSIVE in terms of power storage. The only thing I can think of that really justifies using more than one is if you were driving an electric car through town with headlights in every direction, recharging all your uncharged UPS’s, and being absolutely covered in fusion guns.
It’s basically ludicrous power capacity, if you didn’t catch that.[/quote]

Aha. No wonder my vehicle never runs out of power despite having a spotlight on 24/7 and charging UPSes while driving around on battery power alone.

It’s stuffed full of batteries and electric motors. Including storage batteries and truck batteries.

I also made an eternally lit shelter the same way. I put a vehicle with no wheels through a hole in the wall, so it’s effectively part of the building. It’s made of solar panels, crafting/kitchen structures, and batteries. And of course my lovely spotlight.