Vehicle Speed

Do vehicles move slower now? I remember playing about 6 months ago and I remember vehicles being much faster than walking. Right now I am faster walking than on this motorcycle. Is it a bug with my system? Or is there an option I can change to make vehicles go faster.

Also, I remember them moving seamlessly. Mine is taking a little pause every turn.

Am I just crazy?

(e)xamine the vehicle to check it’s speed. Also, I noticed that some motorcycles and quads have motors that are only slightly better than a lawnmower’s, so they move damn slow.

I’m going like 70 miles an hour, so I think that’s pretty fast.

The problem I mean is that it takes longer for me to move across the map on a mortorcyle than on foot holding down the directional key

I’ve noticed that they have fixed one problem though, because it used to be that when you held down . key while driving the game would queue up like 1 million turn passes and your car would drive itself for like a minute causing you to crash into everything.

It seems faster maybe? Look at the clock in the lower right corner. Every turn is 6 seconds so see how far you get by walking for 6 turns, then on vehicle at top speed for 6 turns.

If you play on Windows try the sdl version. It’s amazing!

I’ve noticed it “seemds” fast just to hold the dirrectional arrow while in the game it takes longer, like posted above, look at the little clock to see how long it takes.

To sum it up, walking IRL is faster, but slower time wise in the game.

This. The rendering is much better now and it’s IRL faster to drive as well as faster in the game.

[quote=“DeadWeight, post:7, topic:1728”]I’ve noticed it “seemds” fast just to hold the dirrectional arrow while in the game it takes longer, like posted above, look at the little clock to see how long it takes.

To sum it up, walking IRL is faster, but slower time wise in the game.[/quote]

It is indeed faster in in game time. Sorry I should have been clearer. I meant that it is slower in IRL time.

This. The rendering is much better now and it’s IRL faster to drive as well as faster in the game.[/quote]

Nice they just uploaded it? I’ll try it out. Thanks.

Woah walking is insanely fast in this version. Hold down a direction and fly away to the other side of the map.

Finally nuked a performance bug we’ve been looking for for a while now. Also I hear the SDL version is faster on windows, though ncurses is still faster on linux in my experience.

Nice! Good job. You guys have made this game awesome. Does the game run better on Linux? I have Ubuntu installed on my system I might play on there from now on.

I thought the devs had found this code for the animation in vehicle movements, so it’d slooooowwwly crawl between each tile nomatter how fast it was going… then some kind soul deleted the code and now going 70 mph seems faster then walking?

It’s not faster, rly. Direct Layer only pushes graphics, but unfortunally, not input. So in realtime - you still have the same ammount of latency after keypress; the gain is in viewport drawing speed.
Not to drag the tail too much - SDL has the ability to handle 2D win graphics at almost the same speed as ncurses do the job for unix-based OSes running the game.

[quote=“vultures, post:14, topic:1728”]It’s not faster, rly. Direct Layer only pushes graphics, but unfortunally, not input. So in realtime - you still have the same ammount of latency after keypress; the gain is in viewport drawing speed.
Not to drag the tail too much - SDL has the ability to handle 2D win graphics at almost the same speed as ncurses do the job for unix-based OSes running the game.[/quote]

In the SDL version the latency between key repeats is actually controlled by SDL. If you’re building the game from source you can adjust this yourself by changing the call to SDL_EnableKeyRepeat in sdlcurse.cpp (the two parameters are the initial delay before key repeating starts, and the repeat interval, both in milliseconds I think). If you drop your repeat interval to something ridiculously low like 10 milliseconds you can blaze across the map like lightning :smiley:

I recently tried the SDL version, if you aren’t using safe mode you will be sprinting your way directly to the Game Over screen, even if you don’t change the repeat interval.
I now have to change sdlcurse.cpp and see how much faster I can go, it’s already atleast twice or thrice as fast.