Walking/running/vehicle speed

Hi, i’m not sure if this is a bug or a feature but in previous versions, a vehicle moving at one tile per round (walking speed) was indicating 16kph (10mph) going two tiles per round (running speed) 32kph etc…

In the latest experimentals (6043), the vehicle moves only one tile at 32kph, two at 64 kph etc…
so basically it looks like the vehicle speed indicator displays double the actual speed.(or the vehicle goes at half the speed) i’m not sure i’m explaining this correctly :slight_smile:
is this normal?

And second question, i’d like my current truck to go faster than Usain Bolt, what should i change in the json to increase speed but not change fuel consumption per kilometer?

thank you

I’ve noticed that problem as well, where 20 mph seems to be 1 tile a turn and 40 mph is 2. I certainly can’t walk at 20 mph. But since noone else reported it I thought I was just mis-remembering.

As for increasing the speed that’s kinda tricky. The speed is mostly tied to the engine’s stats, and engines are pretty realistically calculated now. I know just barely enough to mod in a very weak engine but not much about making one faster.

If you are willing to toy around with values in an attempt to get one faster. (which will also effect all the other cars using that engine) you can go to (cata folder)\data\json\items\vehicle\engine.json and then look for the engine entry your particular truck is using.

My best guess for increasing speed without increasing fuel consumption would be adding an extra gear. So using the base gasoline engine as an example you’d want to change
[ 3.166, 1.882, 1.296, 0.972, 0.738 ],
to something like
[ 3.166, 1.882, 1.296, 0.972, 0.738, 0.500],

Other possibilities are increasing the ‘power’ values (either in raw form or via the proportional tag. Or increasing the engine’s optimal and redline rpms. Optimal being how fast the engine will spin at best fuel efficiency, and redline being how fast the engine can spin before being damaged. The gearing system will try to keep the engine spinning near optimal, and shift to a higher gear before it hits redline.

Pretty much the tl;dr is that you will have to toy with a number of different values in the json to get the speed you want. And it will take a lot of fine tuning.

[quote=“Greiger, post:2, topic:13129”]My best guess for increasing speed without increasing fuel consumption would be adding an extra gear. So using the base gasoline engine as an example you’d want to change
[ 3.166, 1.882, 1.296, 0.972, 0.738 ],
to something like
[ 3.166, 1.882, 1.296, 0.972, 0.738, 0.500],[/quote]
That actually may not have the result you want. What you’re doing with the “0.5” gear is adding a slower gear. Given how low this gear is, it means it’s good at dragging weight, but don’t expect top speed out of it. You’ll get an increase in speed if and only if the engine simply can’t pull that weight well on the 0.73 gear.

Similarly, adding a higher gear, say, 3.8, means you can potentially reach higher speed, but that’s only if the engine can pull the vehicle’s weight at that power/speed ratio.

[quote=“Greiger, post:2, topic:13129”]Other possibilities are increasing the ‘power’ values (either in raw form or via the proportional tag.[/quote]This one will also net you with an engine that’s better at dragging weight (as in, it takes more weight before you start seeing reductions in max/safe speeds), but otherwise will have no effect on vehicle speed. Unlike the previous one, this effect applies to all gears, so it’s possible that some gears just weren’t usable due to the vehicle’s weight, and they will now become available, noticeably increasing speeds.

In other words, a go-cart with this engine won’t go faster than a go-cart with the engine before the power modifications, but a 10T Truck probably will.

Unfortunately, using higher power means more consumption, so while the two go-carts should eat fuel the same, the truck with the modded engine will eat fuel faster. Granted, it’s also going faster, so it might be the same mileage, but I don’t think there’s a straightforward way to make certain.

Or increasing the engine's optimal and redline rpms. Optimal being how fast the engine will spin at best fuel efficiency, and redline being how fast the engine can spin before being damaged.
Now [i]this[/i] will affect top speed, but it will also affect consumption: the engine is more inefficient, fuel-wise, the farther the rpm is from optimal, if you, say, double those values, the engine can now get a whole lot more inefficient before reaching the redline than before, ditto the other way around before it reaches the minimum idle.

OK, thanks for the help :slight_smile:

In addition to what the others were saying, if you find that your fuel consumption is too high for the balance of power/speed you are looking for, that can likely be addressed by modifying the base engine abstracts at the top of the engine.json file, the efficiency values are in there, though any changes made to those will be inherited by all engines of that type (diesel or gas).

Alternatively you might be able to override the efficiency of a specific engine by adding that value to the engine in question. I haven’t messed with modding that much yet, so I don’t yet know if CDDA items recognize override values like that.

Efficiency overrides are accepted and there’s examples in the code: the Wankel gasoline engine is copied-from the V6 gasoline engine (copied-from the I4 and so forth) but overrides the efficiency.