Vehicle Parts Removal

So I was taking apart a vehicle piece by piece and I’ve got three frames that refuse to be removed. They think something is mounted on them but there’s nothing. Anyway I can get around this issue? I checked the wiki and it did verify my suspicions but it didn’t offer any advice on a workaround.

Never happen for me. Maybe a small screenshot to take a look ? Not even sure it would help.

You might have to take the wheels off, otherwise the computer would draw the “car” as three or more separated/not connected wheels moving on their own.

Take parts off of adjacent tiles.

I have the exact same problem with two different vehicles now. And it’s not that the piece isn’t connected to any other pieces, that’s fine, it’s that the game thinks there are things installed on this piece (a frame) so it won’t let you remove it. Or at least that’s what the error message says.

Someone mentioned in another thread that you could use the debug menu to edit vehicles, does anyone know how to do this? (I wouldn’t consider it cheating when you are just working around a bug.)

Here is proof. They won’t let to remove these parts in every car I can find.

Never dissasemble parts that “separate” the vehicle into disconnected chunks.
As a solution for your current problem, weld frames to connect all the parts together, then start with the wheels, the vertical boards, the newly welded frames, and finally that broken frame you now have.

When taking down vehicles, start from the edges and work your way to the central, or central left tile.

[quote=“nikky_boy, post:7, topic:2345”]Never dissasemble parts that “separate” the vehicle into disconnected chunks.
As a solution for your current problem, weld frames to connect all the parts together, then start with the wheels, the vertical boards, the newly welded frames, and finally that broken frame you now have.

When taking down vehicles, start from the edges and work your way to the central, or central left tile.[/quote]
That’s pretty logical, it’s weird that I didn’t think about it… I always disassemble cars upside down, and it stays like this… I’ll try doing it your way, from outside and edit this post to post effects.

EDIT: You can easily get that done by getting started with outer parts first, then getting into inner ones. However, it shouldn’t bug out like this when you are doing it any other way.

Here’ s a tip:
Try not to dissasemble “annoying” vehicle drops, do one or two for scraps and work a way around for getting them out of the street afterwards.
Tip of the Tip: those Public Works places may come perfect if you want a bulk junkyard for surplus cars. I’ve managed to do something in between, maybe I’ll post a screenshot sometime now.

I’m guessing this is related to something I read about solar panels, the first tile to be put down for a vehicle is somehow an anchor, and it’s usually the drivers seat (which corresponds with my and Amman’s findings).

If you’re just going to disassemble a car, this isn’t such a big deal, but lately I’ve been trying to install lighting in my base by backing up a car to the north fence, and then wanted to disassmble all but the back row, and install headlights there. No luck. It can be worked around of course, but it’s a mild annoyance. (Now that I think about it, could probably disassemble the rear of the car first, and then back up just the front half so that that last bit is next to the fence. Or just stick to my original plan of bumping it into place with another car, but there’s a fairly big risk I’ll trash the fence that way.)

Edit: In the latest build you can apparently pick what direction your headlights will shine, making this even less of an issue. (But still slightly annoying, even though the scenarios I can think of where it would actually be a problem are pretty theoretical.)