Vehicle maintenance

I had to buy a battery and replace some parts in my car and that’s when I thought “It would be cool to have to look at my vehicle in-game every now and then to see if the “health” on the individual part needs to be fixed with “spare parts” while batteries in a car has a some to no charge so I would need to replace or use other batteries to recharge and blah blah blah”

But yeah! Deep vehicle mechanics to keep me in my in the garage with zombies beating at the doors!

The vehicle mechanics are probably the most in-depth part of the game as it is, I don’t think they need any other additions. Especially not random degradation, if that’s what you’re even asking for. I can barely parse that thought, but chances are if it ends in ‘blah blah blah’ you haven’t thought this through long enough.

Mm, random degradation wouldn’t accomplish much, just make the character have to check & repair stuff every once in a while, (and who doesn’t have a welder & a wrench?). But giving batteries/solar panels a hard life (while being used) could be interesting. Dies at the wrong time, can’t start yer car or run any tied-in equipment. Though it would promote gigantism.
Preferably, they’d start with a random amount of life, (even self-made batteries), so as to be unpredictable, & life would be hidden until it breaks, (though perhaps could be detected with a volt-meter & some electronics skill). That way it’s an emergent event instead of maintenance.

That might work GrizzlyAdamz, not sure if it would make the game more interesting, or just annoying (aka, keep a spare of everything in the car).

It would definitely force players to have a thought for storage on their vehicles, no more riding around without even a box.

I don’t think players commonly ride around without a box? I mean, checking out the vehicle showoff thread, most vehicles are massive city-wrecking monstrosities with several redundancies and a mountain of storage space. Even a hastily fixed motorbike or regular bicycle already comes with a box. It seems like a solution without a problem. I’m pretty sure it’d just be more annoying than actually interesting.

Seems pointless. Vehicles seem fine the way they are, no need to add inconvenience for the sake of it…

Especially considering vehicles are already quite complex enough to confuse most newcomers. We don’t need them wondering why their vehicles break down randomly.

Yeah and vehicles already require maintenance, they’ll take damage over time from running over zombears and other critters.

Yeah I agree.

Think the ‘problem’ is that there is not a real ‘threat’ to vehicles. (as long as you do not go 500kmh (aka modulo the stupidity factor)) But I do not have a problem with that. As they can just be a mobile base now.

Perhaps not, but hey just throwing it out there!

The real problem here is that acid rain should damage vehicle roof tiles and solar panels (to a much larger extent). Like roof tiles on vehicles break after two weeks and the shit underneath stats getting damaged. Leaving large piles of scrap everywhere. It makes you have to have a perm base to hide from acid rain. It doesn’t make sense that acid that can dissolve bones cannot dissolve steel.

Oh and have the windows be fine.

[quote=“gtaguy, post:11, topic:5184”]The real problem here is that acid rain should damage vehicle roof tiles and solar panels (to a much larger extent). Like roof tiles on vehicles break after two weeks and the shit underneath stats getting damaged. Leaving large piles of scrap everywhere. It makes you have to have a perm base to hide from acid rain. It doesn’t make sense that acid that can dissolve bones cannot dissolve steel.

Oh and have the windows be fine.[/quote]And of course different roof tiles would have different acid tolerance. Maybe an internal vehicle tile with hard plating would take very little damage, and military composite plating would be immune.

They’re remaking acid rain to be less damaging, though, so it doesn’t make sense for acid rain to cause that much damage to vehicles now.

[quote=“gtaguy, post:11, topic:5184”]The real problem here is that acid rain should damage vehicle roof tiles and solar panels (to a much larger extent). Like roof tiles on vehicles break after two weeks and the shit underneath stats getting damaged. Leaving large piles of scrap everywhere. It makes you have to have a perm base to hide from acid rain. It doesn’t make sense that acid that can dissolve bones cannot dissolve steel.

Oh and have the windows be fine.[/quote]
If acid rain were to damage roofs and solar panels then there should be none left out in the open due to acid rain. This also calls into question all roofs in general - including those on any structure in the game such as houses.

From within the context of the game’s environment it wouldn’t make sense for vehicle roofs (and solar panels) to suddenly start taking damage only after the player encountered them. Plus why would only vehicle roofs be harmed while building roofs would be immune?

For this reason and because I tend to dislike equipment deterioration just for the sake of ‘difficulty’ (but, in actuality, it isn’t difficult to simply stop every X minutes and repair something - that’s just time consuming and annoying) is bad design - I would suggest that this not happen.

On the flip side if people are generally all for this I could see using a special coating on materials to protect them from the acid rain so that one never has to worry about it again. This gives a progression path to escape the annoyance of always having to repair stuff due to the environmental factors, gives a source of interest to pursue (find the paint / coating or craft it), and, therefore, adds to the overall scope of the game.

This also addresses the potential in-game inconsistency (which harms immersion) that vehicles suddenly start taking damage only after the player encounters them. Instead, the coating could fail (be removed) upon being damaged but, even then, this would mean one would only find either perfect roofs or completed destroyed roofs so I dunno about that.

This, in turn, is better design (although I’m still not sure about the overall ‘value’ of implementing this) since it provides a series of in-game incentives to play more of the game combined with a sense of accomplishment upon completion with a great reward (no longer having to repair / maintain due to acid rain.)

Overall, I’d suggest leaving acid rain to harm flesh and body stuff and leave it as it is.

The thing is:
This isn’t acid rain simulator 2014

I’m sure there will be interchangeable mobile-base threats soon enough.

I’m betting on more monsters for non-classic mode.

Fun fact: Acid rain has been on the downfall since forever.
I used to live in an area with many limestone buildings.
Acid rain isn’t face-melting Aqua Regia.
It’s dilute enough that it damages buildings over a period of months and years.

For gameplay reason, I like acid rain. Gives you an incentive to get into shelter and cower. Hell, at lower skills it kills enemies for you too. What it shouldn’t do is erase your vehicle just for the hell of it, or leave piles of corpses outside your shelter in the morning.

The sheltering thing also makes you go: O shit… not enough food an water… panic! Which is fun.

Perhaps most wildlife should just be acid resistant? While evolution normally happens over quite some time, it could be argued that the current wildlife has mutated a little bit.

Weeeeeell, I suppose they are acceptable bio masses, and we do have gradual ramping-up of creature difficulty…

+1 to mutant creatures taking over wildlife spawns as the months go by. That sounds like creative fodder for the dev team and forumites alike.
They’d gain acid resistance along the way.

[quote=“GrizzlyAdamz, post:18, topic:5184”]Weeeeeell, I suppose they are acceptable bio masses, and we do have gradual ramping-up of creature difficulty…

+1 to mutant creatures taking over wildlife spawns as the months go by. That sounds like creative fodder for the dev team and forumites alike.
They’d gain acid resistance along the way.[/quote]

That’s a nice idea. I just hope they still provide edible stuff when butchered.

Basidic oils on animal hair would prevent them from taking acid rain damage. It just turns to salt water. A rather minor mutation, plus isn’t the goo trying to protect the hosts?