Vault, Experimental Z levels[Spoilers]

These two don’t mix very well.

You can probably imagine the lag i had as i was exploring the area that is above the vault. But the REAL problem is that all the NPC’s below are dead. Wrecked by the zombies who outnumbered them 500 to 1.

What do i do? Can i revive them, using debug, console or anything ?

Yeah, I recently had this experience as well (well, I didn’t get to the NPCs, so I don’t know), but playing on 5X spawn makes the whole town area a serious exercise in patience to try to play. I literally killed over 1000 wanderers (checked the kill counter), and I definitely wasn’t done - not sure how much there was to go, but the lag hadn’t noticeably improved, so…

I don’t care about the lag tbh, i’m a patient guy. But i want those NPC’s back no matter what

I don’t know anything about this vault, but if you know which part of the questline they had, you could spawn in an npc and edit him/her to add the correct mission. And to make him/her friendly, since about 80% of the time they spawn as psychotic random npcs.

I actively stay away from the whole area with Z-levels on. Not worth it, and theyre easy to miss anyway.

Ive never tried debugging in npcs. Most wandering npcs can be talked down, but Id keep ashotgun handy if I were you.

The three results of the early Z-levels that make then unattractive

-The noise from below being so amplified. The game likely literally measures how many tiles the distance is, with no dampening.
-The moves from below taking so much to calculate
-No upstairs to houses.

I know 3 can be fixedm and if I knew how Id do it. is it an algorithm that can run, or do custom roofs need to happen, or what?

It’s probably just you. I play on 25x Spawn, with Experimental Z Levels, and I’ve found the vaults to be pretty much just nearly empty. Except for maybe a few albino penguins in the command center. Even the towns above are nearly ghost-towns, with almost nothing worthwhile to loot.

I don’t fuck with the albino penguins. Maybe its because I played Don’t Starve, but they don’t sit right with me. Even in power armour, I’m scared that they’re some kind of joke monster that will instantly vaporize me if I try to kill them. The last time I saw a joke monster, it spawned over 25,000 hulks.

Come to think of it, whatever happened to Shia Labeouf? I’ve seen him only once in the entire 2 years I’ve played this game.

@pisskop - The problem with houses is they lack an upper story/roof in mapgen, and most of them are still hardcoded. If you want an example of how it’s supposed to look, examine the z-level buildings mod. I imagine you could make json versions of the houses if you used the same id, though it’s not something I’ve tried.

Ok, let me rephrase my problem:

NPC’s that are in comm center in vault are dead due to the Z-levels and huge amount of irradiated wanderers. It is my first time stepping into the vault, i don’t know what to expect but almost everything is broken down and every NPC is killed, and i want to revive the NPC’s and complete their missions. How do i do it, there’s gotta be a way?

Reviving npcs is currently not possible, but you could, as stated earlier, use the debug menu to spawn random npcs and give them the missions.

I would if i knew what missions they had. As i said, it’s my first time in vault. What are the name of the missions?
The NPCs that died are specific NPCs, can i spawn those specific NPCs ?

The spawn npc command in the debug menu makes a random npc.
For more control over what gets placed, you could use the lua console with this command: map:place_npc(x, y, “guard”)
x and y are coordinates within the reality bubble, “guard” is an npc_id from data\json\npcs\npc.json. You could add npc’s to npc.json with the desired attributes and mission and create them in game as needed. Once you figure out what the mission IS, of course.

[quote=“Malkeus, post:11, topic:11222”]The spawn npc command in the debug menu makes a random npc.
For more control over what gets placed, you could use the lua console with this command: map:place_npc(x, y, “guard”)
x and y are coordinates within the reality bubble, “guard” is an npc_id from data\json\npcs\npc.json. You could add npc’s to npc.json with the desired attributes and mission and create them in game as needed. Once you figure out what the mission IS, of course.[/quote]

Short answer: no.

I’m in the same boat as you - this was my first attempt at the vault. Yeah, I’m leaving it alone and going back to the rest of the game, which is sad, but well, what else is there to do at this point?

NPC ai.

Or npcs locking themselves into rooms, i.e. spawning in locked rooms.

What are the mission names that those NPCs had ?

I’m not 100% sure about this, but maybe the NPCs being killed is somewhat tied to them spawning where the wanderers are (much like how lately some of the NPCs in the refugee centers spawning outside the refugee center, or in a wall).

The rooms where the NPCs in the vault, as I recall, are fairly empty when it comes to wanderers. There’s two different teams in the vaults, in any case.

But yeah, high spawn rate in a multi z-level area like the vault is a headache filled with lag.

[quote=“evilexecutive, post:6, topic:11222”]It’s probably just you. I play on 25x Spawn, with Experimental Z Levels, and I’ve found the vaults to be pretty much just nearly empty. Except for maybe a few albino penguins in the command center. Even the towns above are nearly ghost-towns, with almost nothing worthwhile to loot.

I don’t fuck with the albino penguins. Maybe its because I played Don’t Starve, but they don’t sit right with me. Even in power armour, I’m scared that they’re some kind of joke monster that will instantly vaporize me if I try to kill them. The last time I saw a joke monster, it spawned over 25,000 hulks.

Come to think of it, whatever happened to Shia Labeouf? I’ve seen him only once in the entire 2 years I’ve played this game.[/quote]

This is most certainly a bug, possibly from playing on super high spawn levels. These areas are supposed to be occupied by a special monster called irradiated wanderers, and with multi z simulation it causes horrendous lag and kills the NPCs. Has anyone made a blacklist mod or some other type of fix?

Drop this into a text file, rename it to modinfo.json, drop the modinfo.json into No_Irradiated_Wanderers directory in data/mods. GLHF, you just made a mod :slight_smile:

[ { "type": "MOD_INFO", "mod-type": "SUPPLEMENTAL", "ident": "No_Irradiated_Wanderers", "name": "No Irradiated Wanderer's", "description": "Removes all irradiated wanderer's from the game.", "category": "monster_exclude", "path": "" },{ "type": "MONSTER_BLACKLIST", "monsters": [ "mon_irradiated_wanderer_1", "mon_irradiated_wanderer_2", "mon_irradiated_wanderer_3", "mon_irradiated_wanderer_4" ] } ]

I followed on Malkeus’ advice, spawned the “old_guard_necropolis_commo”, and he immediately game me some missions and told me to look out for commander.

Can i edit the map files to “respawn”, or “replace” the entire vault again? it must be possible in some way?

[quote=“Wyzack, post:16, topic:11222”][quote=“evilexecutive, post:6, topic:11222”]It’s probably just you. I play on 25x Spawn, with Experimental Z Levels, and I’ve found the vaults to be pretty much just nearly empty. Except for maybe a few albino penguins in the command center. Even the towns above are nearly ghost-towns, with almost nothing worthwhile to loot.

Come to think of it, whatever happened to Shia Labeouf? I’ve seen him only once in the entire 2 years I’ve played this game.[/quote]

This is most certainly a bug, possibly from playing on super high spawn levels. These areas are supposed to be occupied by a special monster called irradiated wanderers, and with multi z simulation it causes horrendous lag and kills the NPCs. Has anyone made a blacklist mod or some other type of fix?[/quote]

I also play on Latest Experimental, and they’ve been empty on my alt-worlds with 1x spawn rate too. They have -ALWAYS- been empty for me, in the 2 years I’ve played this game. It seems that no matter what I do, I never find anything in those vaults, or in the towns above. They’re always spooky ghost towns with no radiation, monsters, or anything in the vaults except for the damn Albino Penguins. Hell, I turned the craters into farmland to grow weed and strawberries. Usually at this point I ignore them, except for the rare occasions that I feel like my Dwarf Fortress could do with more radiation biomonitors for its STALKER-room, so I loot the STALKER-Room from the vaults to get more biomonitors.

My Necropolis. I’ve just driven around it for awhile looking for irradiated wanderer, none spawned.

World Options:

Exploring the vault

I’ve just explored the entirety of my nearest necropolis. Totally empty, but suspiciously no albino penguins. There were a few NPCs, but they didn’t talk to me. And my radiation badge didn’t trigger at all in this place. I’m also on the latest experimental(As of 3 days ago)… I don’t get it, what the hell is supposed to be here? Where is the lag everybody else is complaining about? Where are the irradiated wanderers?

I spawned in an irradiated wanderer too, just to see if they work. Yea, they worked normally, but oddly enough it dissipated into nothingness. I hope that’s normal. I’ve also spawned in 20 albino penguins and shot them all with my Jackal just to quench my fears of them.