Usable furnaces

Many houses have furnaces. Will there be usable ones in the future? Like, where you have to light one match to put it on, and [e]xamining it turns it off again. Oh, and it would be nice if turning on the furnace wouldn’t burn your entire house down.

Fireplaces already contain fires, I’m not sure exactly what you mean by a furnace?

Where I come from a furnace is a thing you use to melt iron or bake pottery in.

[quote=“Jotun, post:2, topic:2224”]Fireplaces already contain fires, I’m not sure exactly what you mean by a furnace?

Where I come from a furnace is a thing you use to melt iron or bake pottery in.[/quote]
its like an electric heater, only they use wood heat or oil heat, to heat up your home.

So… a wood stove?

Pretty much. Though, some kind of furnace that runs on gasoline would be an addition I’d love to see. Sometimes it’s a bitch for me to go on my treks to get firewood, when I could just use the three aluminum kegs full of gasoline I have sitting in my store room.

here our furnace uses natural gas and has piping to heat up the entire house. Also, I don’t think it’s as simple as just turning it on… at least you need to set the tempurature of which to heat the house. But I haven’t even seen furnaces, so maybe it would be cool if houses had different types of furnaces.

I mean furnaces as in stoves - they can be found in houses already (next to the refrigerator), and it wouldn’t make sense that they can’t be used.

I don’t mean central heating or anything like that.

I think they are looking for a brazier

Mine boils water and has the steaming hot water being pushed through lines in front of a fan which heats up the air as it is pushed around the house.

Not very simple, I’d imagine future heating would be nuclear powered.

If you used the car mechanism, you could ^control the furnace, and set the desired temperature (which affects nearby 10x10 or so tiles). Since temperature is all player-based and dynamically calculated from the surroundings+clothes, maybe it generate the temperature over the course of hours so you don’t have like +30 warmth right next to it but +1 warmth 5 tiles away

There’s a wood stove item that sort of works like you describe, it needs more work still, but it’s the same general idea.

I’m trying to come up with a way to handle houses as distinct entities like this, so a working furnace would “heat this house”, or perhaps just “heat this room”, noing terribly productive at the moment, but still working on it. For the time being it just checks for “heat sources” like fire or a stove that are in range and uses that to adjust body temperature as opposed to it heating the room.

There could certainly be a variety of heating methods, here in Wisconsin is still relatively common to have a fuel-oil boiler, which boils water and circulates the steam through radiators in each room of the house. It’s not at all common to have a stove like you’re describing, though they’re in the cabins in the woods I think. There are also natural gas boilers, central boilers etc, as well as the more modern duct-based forced-air systems. Probably the most interesting part of the varieties would be all the parts you could harvest from them to build things :3

Maybe I should add a recipe to turn an oven into a wood stove…

Maybe have heat dispersal.

Make it an option for increasing FPS on systems.

Have walls/windows/floors calculate the heat from those around them. Walls would stop heat dispersal (mostly), windows would do so less effectively, and floors would have little heat loss unless next to a non-heat dispersal tile.

[quote=“gtaguy, post:12, topic:2224”]Maybe have heat dispersal.

Make it an option for increasing FPS on systems.

Have walls/windows/floors calculate the heat from those around them. Walls would stop heat dispersal (mostly), windows would do so less effectively, and floors would have little heat loss unless next to a non-heat dispersal tile.[/quote]

This isn’t something that could be optional, and it wouldn’t really work anyway, because as you move around on the map it’d be moving map tiles into the area that’s being simulated and they’d take a while to settle down. It’d work fine for a mostly static location with a bounded size, but where you’re moving around all the time and you can’t afford to simulate everything it becomes quite problematic.

Could you reuse some of the scent map code for heat sources?

[size=36pt]I mean usable to cook food, not usable as heat source.[/size]

You’re all discussing an entirely different topic here.

If you mean the ovens then they would need either working gas or working electricity to run.

I don’t know if the cataclysm world has either.

[quote=“Jotun, post:16, topic:2224”]If you mean the ovens then they would need either working gas or working electricity to run.

I don’t know if the cataclysm world has either.[/quote]
i’m sure he means the stove/oven xD so many names for our household appliances

Tht’s pretty realistic , because some houses have gas containers that work for their ovens even when the power is out.
(I secretly knew that this thread is all about ovens , but for some reason people like funaces more)

My house has furnace in the basement , we use it for heating up the house by dropping some wood in it and it heats up the boiler wich sends hot water steam to radiators all over the house. The down side is that my house has an electric pump that pumps water from somewhere (FREE WATER FOR EVERYONE) , the water is clean and nothing must be payed for infinite amount of water.