Ubuntu install help; "make: command not found"

Hey guys,

I’m trying to install cataclysm on my chromebook. I have Ubuntu and have managed to get as far as making the directory. I am not very computer literate, but everything seemed to be going swimmingly until I got to the instruction to “type make to compile it. If it fails, try make clean”. When I type either “make” or “make clean” into the terminal, is says “make: command not found”.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any and all help.

-Forevernonethewiser

Edit: If it’s any help, I created the Cataclysm-DDA files on the desktop and it is there, filled with several folders like ‘catulua’, ‘code-doc’, ‘data’, etc., in addition to a few dozen notepad files. So I’m assuming I do have the game downloaded, I just can’t access it.

open a terminal and type in sudo apt-get install make

Welcome to the *nix world, where depending on how frugal your distro is, may or may not contain all the tools you need. Ubuntu makes me angry because it now comes with Unity3d as its default environment, but doesn’t include ccsm by default, making changes to your environment a pain in the arse with cat on the .unitypefs

Ah great, so it’s just something that needs to be installed. Thanks for your help.

Also, you’ll have to forgive me – I have never used linux and have no idea what the terminal is, how it works, or have any clue what I am actually doing.I’m just following the steps on the ‘how to compile’ page in the wiki. The notion that I have to install the make command would never have crossed my mind.

on Ubuntu, you can use the terminal (alt+f2 or ctrl+alt+t) to do many things

if those two commands don’t work, try elevating (sudo) before the command

[tt]sudo apt-get install build-essential[/tt] might work better (if I remember right, anyway, I have an RPM-based distro); it installs everything you need to compile C/C++ code, not just make.

Did you already try just downloading the Linux build from

http://en.cataclysmdda.com

If that works then you don’t need to compile it manually.

[quote=“pipehat, post:7, topic:4064”]Did you already try just downloading the Linux build from

http://en.cataclysmdda.com

If that works then you don’t need to compile it manually.[/quote]

the suicidal bleeding edge builds don’t have precompiled versions