Turning on and off Certain monsters

As the title describes, a way to turn off certain monsters would be kind of cool.
Like having a Fungal zombie apocalypse (coughThe last of usCough) without normal zombies, mutants, or giant insects.

I don’t know if this has been planned or has been already modded into the game.

There’s one, sort of, at the defense mode: you can choose which enemies will keep going against you. Also, at Options there’s an option to have only wildlife and the common zombie in game.

But specific selection of monsters in the main mode? Not yet.

Except for the detail that Classic Zeds takes out a lot of buildings, etc as well. :frowning:

Sorry, didn’t knew about that… :confused:

I suppose you can change the monstergroups.json file, to change which monsters show up in each area then?

But yeah, options similar to the Defense mode, so you can choose which kinds of monsters, terrain, climate… essencially a “Create Your Cataclysm World” mode would be good ^^

[quote=“Keyword22, post:1, topic:1748”]As the title describes, a way to turn off certain monsters would be kind of cool.
Like having a Fungal zombie apocalypse (coughThe last of usCough) without normal zombies, mutants, or giant insects.

I don’t know if this has been planned or has been already modded into the game.[/quote]

We can already change monster frequency by editing [tt]monstergroups.json[/tt] in Cataclysm’s [tt]*/data/raw[/tt] folder. There are several groups for zeds, so be certain to change them all. If you don’t want specific monsters to appear in that group type, then delete an entire line. Here’s an example:

[tt] {
“name” : “GROUP_ZOMBIE”,
“default” : “mon_zombie”,
“monsters” : [
{ “monster” : “mon_zombie_cop”, “freq” : 20, “multiplier” : 3 },
{ “monster” : “mon_zombie_fast”, “freq” : 70, “multiplier” : 2 },
{ “monster” : “mon_zombie_grabber”, “freq” : 70, “multiplier” : 1 },
{ “monster” : “mon_skeleton”, “freq” : 30, “multiplier” : 2 },
{ “monster” : “mon_zombie_smoker”, “freq” : 30, “multiplier” : 5 },
{ “monster” : “mon_zombie_shrieker”, “freq” : 30, “multiplier” : 5 },
{ “monster” : “mon_zombie_spitter”, “freq” : 30, “multiplier” : 5 },
{ “monster” : “mon_zombie_electric”, “freq” : 30, “multiplier” : 5 },
{ “monster” : “mon_zombie_necro”, “freq” : 1, “multiplier” : 25 },
{ “monster” : “mon_boomer”, “freq” : 30, “multiplier” : 7 },
{ “monster” : “mon_zombie_brute”, “freq” : 10, “multiplier” : 15 },
{ “monster” : “mon_zombie_hulk”, “freq” : 1, “multiplier” : 50 },
{ “monster” : “mon_zombie_master”, “freq” : 1, “multiplier” : 25 },
{ “monster” : “mon_crow”, “freq” : 1, “multiplier” : 0 }
]
},
[/tt]
I suggest you not delete an entire group, just the specific monsters in it, or you might break something.

Thanks for pointing that out, Justice!

I have been looking for a way to control the frequency of Triffids and Funagloids without using “Classic Zombies” – that mode is far too restrictive in terms of what is spawned and (as has already been pointed out) removes certain buildings that I want in my game.

Editing the JSON might help a little, but I haven’t had a chance to try it yet. At the very least, it sounds like I can disable Triffid Queens from there… (I hate them)

Ideally, I’d love to see a menu under Options where, as you are setting up the game, you could choose the frequency of all monsters and/or groups of monsters on a “Never / Rarely / Common / Often / Always” basis that affected their chance to spawn. For example, you could set up a game where Giant Insects never spawn, but Robots spawn all over the place. Or a world where instead of Zombies, Lovecraftian nightmare creatures populate the towns…

Why is it that we can edit monster spawns, but not the monsters themselves? Alas, this is good news. I’ve always wanted a round where The Thing is the dominant enemy.

Because we haven’t gotten that far in the Jsonization process yet. And editing monsters will be a lot more complicated.

[quote=“darth_servo, post:6, topic:1748”]Thanks for pointing that out, Justice!

I have been looking for a way to control the frequency of Triffids and Funagloids without using “Classic Zombies” – that mode is far too restrictive in terms of what is spawned and (as has already been pointed out) removes certain buildings that I want in my game.

Editing the JSON might help a little, but I haven’t had a chance to try it yet. At the very least, it sounds like I can disable Triffid Queens from there… (I hate them)

Ideally, I’d love to see a menu under Options where, as you are setting up the game, you could choose the frequency of all monsters and/or groups of monsters on a “Never / Rarely / Common / Often / Always” basis that affected their chance to spawn. For example, you could set up a game where Giant Insects never spawn, but Robots spawn all over the place. Or a world where instead of Zombies, Lovecraftian nightmare creatures populate the towns…[/quote]

I edit the files to remove fungaloids and giant worms. Just replace mon_whatever with mon_null. In the case of fungaloids it doesn’t remove them completely, there are still fungal bloom map things, but all the fungaloids stay in that “building” unless you walk on it, which is fine for my purposes.

Thanks Justice, I managed to make a fungal zombie apocalypse :=)

Thanks to the devs too for this wonderful game that keeps growing even more.