Trains

Since this is only one idea I’m not going to add it to my previous thread (FEEL MY LOGIC)

So…
Trains and tracks, anyone?

I like the idea. Maybe have it lead into other towns.

I see no reason to have the subways have trains in them as well, though likely not operable ones… fixing them would be part of the fun

Trains as buildings is a simple matter of making some new map locations, a switchyard would be cool. The “map editor” thread has some cool layouts for individual train cars.

For subways to have tracks or for topside train tracks, we need a tunnel/track drawing algorithm that will maintain curves that trains can handle (no right-angle turns, heh). On other hand that’s a lot harder, on the other hand it’s a really cool problem :smiley:

“There are no rails for the train to move on”

Craftable railroads.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:4, topic:3319”]Trains as buildings is a simple matter of making some new map locations, a switchyard would be cool. The “map editor” thread has some cool layouts for individual train cars.

For subways to have tracks or for topside train tracks, we need a tunnel/track drawing algorithm that will maintain curves that trains can handle (no right-angle turns, heh). On other hand that’s a lot harder, on the other hand it’s a really cool problem :D[/quote]We all have faith for the development branch, I’m certain you’ll solve it all! :slight_smile:

I would love this, especially if they connected towns. Fuelling them would be a bitch, but you could also have those hand crank things that go along tracks.

Travelling at high speeds with no shrubs to stop you :smiley:

You know I’m only going to replace the wheels with Wide Tires, or Treads (whenever those get in for Tracked Military Vehicles) right?

As Kevin notes, avoiding 90 degree turns is important. Though since everything is grid-based, it might have to be 45 degree turns that take up a square…

As a general algorithm it’d be neat to have train stations get placed in towns, then have the tracks connect stations together. Of course, this means you have to avoid having train tracks cut through larger buildings… while taking into account that train tracks could legally cross over a street, creating a railway crossing. An interesting problem, to be sure.

Subways could finally have actual tracks and trains, and maybe make a bit more sense!

I think this is a cool idea. Lots of abandoned tracks in New England.

For some reason I want to take a gascan and a motorcycle worth of parts into a subway now…

And imagine putting a welding rig, a kitchen unit, some solar panels and some batteries on an empty cargo train…

trains would be alot of fun to add to crafting.