Touhou-related Mod Questions

I’ve been thinking about making custom professions based off of Touhou characters for a while now (which would save me all the trouble of having to debug myself the items whenever I start a new survivor named after a Touhou character). How easy would it be? Do I just go into an existing mod with custom professions, copy the json files, and edit them with notepad++? Do I always have to compile the game myself when making a mod (I’ve never compiled the game before, I’ve only used the CDDA launcher)?

[quote=“Taberone, post:1, topic:12700”]I’ve been thinking about making custom professions based off of Touhou characters for a while now (which would save me all the trouble of having to debug myself the items whenever I start a new survivor named after a Touhou character). How easy would it be? Do I just go into an existing mod with custom professions, copy the json files, and edit them with notepad++? Do I always have to compile the game myself when making a mod (I’ve never compiled the game before, I’ve only used the CDDA launcher)?

The custom professions won’t be exactly the same as Touhou, though. As close as you can get to a Touhou character in vanilla Cataclysm.[/quote]
just copy a mod with professions and put the stuff you want in and change the name, easy and no compile nessesasy.

Same thing for custom clothing/weapons/etc, where I just copy/paste/edit?

Yes, most stuff is copy, paste, edit, profit.

Nearly all items can be found in the json/item folder. Armor is split between tool armor and armor.

Is there a limit to how many starting locations can be displayed? If I were to make it so that absolutely every single starting location was available, would the box for choosing starting locations be able to scroll down?

I don’t think that has been tried before and without code knowledge the only answer is to try.

I don’t think that has been tried before and without code knowledge the only answer is to try.[/quote]

Looks like it’s working so far. Only error so far is when I try to put in the island temple from the Arcana mod.

I currently have Yomou Konpaku mostly finished, with two new clothing items modded in. The dress being dark green and white is based off of the Touhou wiki’s description of Yomou. Yomou also has a profession trait that gives her Niten Ichi Ryu for added ass-kicking. Not exactly aiming for professions balanced for the core game here.

At the moment, playing as a male character only changes the underwear to boxer shorts and still leaves in everything else. Might be able to find equivalent clothing for players who want to be a genderswapped Yomou later on. Seems like adding in Touhou characters as professions isn’t too bad and difficult, but there’s other stuff I haven’t considered doing yet, like adding in custom weapons and possibly making them work with the game’s default martial arts styles, or getting any clothing from this mod to spawn naturally.

Using the time stopping cbms for a Sakuya profession would be sweet.

P.S: Youmu is my favorite 2hu.

Is it acceptable for mods to require other mods? Theres a Seiga Kaku profession I finished recently that starts with one of the Arcana mod items, and some of the starting locations are from other mods too. Also, trying to do a Tenshi profession with a unique profession trait that gives a bonus to hit points. Are hit point bonuses from traits hardcoded?

It’s OK for mods to have dependencies, just look at the tank mod for how to so this.

If by hit points you mean health points then just make the profession have a mutation that raises the hp.

It’s OK for mods to have dependencies, just look at the tank mod for how to so this.

If by hit points you mean health points then just make the profession have a mutation that raises the hp.[/quote]

The code for the bonus hp mutations doesn’t seem to have any numbers I can modify for the extra hp, though. Like Unbreakable, from mutations.json. Although I could just make Tenshi start with the Unbreakable mutation and give her an improved version of Thick Skin.

{ "type" : "mutation", "id" : "TOUGH3", "name" : "Unbreakable", "points" : 4, "description" : "Nothing can break you! You get a 40% bonus to all hit points.", "valid" : false, "cancels" : ["FLIMSY", "FLIMSY2", "FLIMSY3", "GLASSJAW"], "prereqs" : ["TOUGH2"] },

You can’t modify the hp that it gives so you have to just give the profession the mutation.

Is there a way to modify or override the default martial arts styles so that they include custom weapons?

Yeah, add it to the “weapons” section of the json seen here for Krav Maga.

What exactly is causing this? It can’t be that I have two folders under data/mods named Touhou or anything since I only have one. I do have a .txt file in the Touhou folder that keeps track of the mod’s features and things to do next, though. Is that causing it?

You could have a duplicate file defining the mod.
For example, you may have a backup of the file somewhere.

Try to find all files in the whole directory “data” that have “Touhou” anywhere in their content.

Added in a new UPS-powered, laser shooting rifle with an integrated bayonet (One already exists in the vanilla game so I’m using that) as a built in modification. Tested it out and discovered that attempting to melee stuff with the integrated bayonet, even with 10 in all skills and 20 in all stats, results in “You swing wildly and miss” or “Your torso encumbrance throws you off balance” messages (21 Encumbrance). What exactly is causing the bayonet to be so inaccurate?

For reference, this is the vanilla “Integrated Bayonet” mod that the new rifle has, which can be seen here:

{ "id": "inter_bayonet", "type": "GUNMOD", "name": "integrated bayonet", "description": "This is the bayonet integrated in the firearm.", "weight": 1, "volume": 1, "price": 4000, "to_hit": -1, "cutting": 10, "material": [ "steel" ], "symbol": ":", "color": "light_gray", "location": "underbarrel", "mod_targets": [ "shotgun", "rifle" ], "dispersion_modifier": 10, "mode_modifier": [ [ "REACH", "bayonet", 2, [ "MELEE" ] ] ], "flags": [ "SLOW_WIELD", "IRREMOVABLE", "STAB" ] },