Tips, Tricks, and Newb Questions!

it’s unassigned by default on download.
?1 scroll to bottom + and the letter for the Debug option, and then Z, ESC, Y

If you’re looking for a place to set up a long-term base. one of the best things I’ve found is to use a military bunker at least 1 map block from any towns/swamps. Granted, you need 7 milcards to fully access it, but it gives you a good-sized basement and a solid aboveground choke point that can be used as the core of a larger structure.

Stairs, the bane of my existence. They teleport enemies trapped outside inside.

1 Like

I’ve been making grenades too go with my c4 and launcher, for the purpose of breaking into a bunker. I’m not quite ready for it yet, but ill do it at night so the turrets can’t get me. I might even make an electro hack if I can be bothered.

Also for me I always look out for ant nests when planning bases they are great free food, bee hives may be simerler but I haven’t got brave enough to try (I play melle and bees are damn fast).

Are you sure turrets need to see you to shot? Well, in my lab raids SMG fire from the darkness just outside flashlight’s cone was nothing to be surprised about. Not accurate enough to kill my fully armored char, but delayed me a few days of healing arms/legs.
TL;DR: Get a rifle, man! :wink:

Yes they have too see you, there range is far longer than yours but if you dont use a flashlight and stay in the dark then they don’t see you. Any way that save got corrupted :frowning: I future I will back up saves.

On another note, if you’re going into a sharpshooter route, there are very few things that beat out a Savage 111F, especially if you find a sniper mod kit for it. Because it’s already such a low capacity weapon, only the buffs are applied. With a fully kitted out 111F, I’ve turned Hulks into blood smears with a single shot.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:16, topic:42”][quote=“Master Darius, post:15, topic:42”][quote=“Kevin Granade, post:12, topic:42”]That’d be nice I guess, but doesn’t seem worth the effort :stuck_out_tongue:
(believe me, this would be way more effort than you’d think to implement properly, the reload/unload code is already quite complex)[/quote]
Zombie pheromones [?][/quote]

Should have quoted, I was replying to the comment about the mag+1 gun capacity thing.[/quote]
Oh sorry, wrong quote, I was replying to this comment xD

Fire does mask scent, right?

1 Like

unless there was a recent change, yes.

Here is my general strategy to surviving for more than five minutes:
Get a good character setup, I usually choose negative traits that do nothing bad, such as ugly, wool allergy, truth teller and poor hearing.
I put one point in mechanics and all of the fast traits (learner,healer,reader), if there is any left I usually dump them into intelligence.
From time to time I will mix up my trait selection to see how it goes, like giving myself bad eyesight in exchange for Parkour (which is really good).
Anyways, as soon as I start:
Run over to the shelf, smash to pieces, grab pipe.
Go outside, get rock, make crowbar.
Depending on how far away I will run into town and hit either a military surplus or a sporting goods store
And grab some basic supplies and get out of town before 9:30
Then generally I will head to a safe distance location out of town, treatment plant or shelter or something similar,
I will then hunker down and do some skill based activity, like reading or practising sewing or something similar.
By nightfall I will run into town and crowbar open some houses/gun stores to find food and weapons, the only thing you have to look out for at night is specials
like fast zombies acid spewers and electrics.
Strangely there seems to be more zombies on the outskirts of town rather than in the center, hint never use a light emmiting device, if you don’t like not
being able to see far in the dark. Consider investing in a night vision perk next time.
Generally I will use the minimap to navigate and dodge any sounds, after looting enough to fill a backpack, I will leave town and head back to the safe location.

Then the next morning I will generally step outside and get mauled by 10000 wolves spiders and all sorts of other shit.
I have considered using the sewer system to perform night raids on the town, because if you are in a sewerage plant you basically have access to all the tunnels if you can hack the console or smash a hole in the wall.
any C&C on my strategy?

If the zombies didn’t chase you innawoods.

It’s a good idea to have a house there, they don’t come after you, I am on day 4, and I had t pretty great shelter spawn in a wood alcove, near a town.
You can make houses, though chainsaws and wood axes are rare, chainsaws are going to need fuel.

A house size of 5x5 Is reasonable, surrounded with pits, that are spiked, and a one-tile wide entrance with any obstacle in it, preferably a window- is exceptionally good shelter in the woods, you wont ever have problems finding safe haven here given you can actually outrun things that chase you home, and if you can’t there is always molotovs and your traps.

Layers of additional traps are good, and a layer of chainlink doesn’t hurt.

Vehicles themselves can also make pretty good full time bases, you can sleep in your car park next to or in the woods and have a safe night’s sleep, probably good practice then to reinforce/upgrade your car whenever possible, and remove spare seats for more trunks, that seatbelt is just extra weight!

Generally the best thing you can do when you start is bumrush sporting good stores and clothing stores for a backpack (or two) and other clothes, if you got lucky there look for an MP3 Player, and of course check any and all vehicle spawn locations, all garages/parking lots, vehicles are such an amazing boon for you so if you can’t find one, maybe make one as soon as possible.

For that matter your next need is a day’s food and a book, you can read under the hood until sunset and go back to raid the homes you scouted out.
You can flash your light on and off to get a general idea of where you are, but don’t do it too much.

Since Zombies rely more on scent and noise in the dark, light step is fantastic, smelly is one of the worst negative traits.

If you go as an archer you get near inexhaustible ammo and in the later levels of competency, bows are not half bad hitters.

Quick is the best trait that I’ve used so far, quick’s bonus is also affected by comestibles that increase speed, it’s bonus can stack with any other speed bonus, the bonus from adderall for example boosts it from 10% to 12%, it gets better with more stimulants.

NPCs although buggy can give you many free skills upon completing their mission, ask them to train you and recruit them, ask for more skills and a few free skill ups might be available, their skills are random but often there is enough that one or two will be useful to you, when they start charging or you just don’t want them anymore, run them over with your car or something, there is no negative repercussions for killing them that I’ve seen so far.

It’s probably best to carry a few tools around with you on your person or in the trunk; Knife(combat, steak, butcher, machete) lighter, flashlight, rope, crowbar, electrohack, jerrycan (full of gas), molotov, gas mask.

When driving at night in a car or truck, to see the road all you need to do is line the truck or car up with the road’s yellow lines, I use night vision trait, so I can see the yellow lines. If you stop seeing them after a fumble, correct your car or truck in a random direction, if that fails slow down a bit and fidget with the turns until you spot the yellow lines again, works well at later levels of driving.

Steel toe cap boots seem to massively reduce the chance you get injured or have your equipment damaged on dangerous terrain, and their encumbered is not at all bad for what they offer.

Reinforced clothing encumbers you less.

Driving at night brings the high probability of running your car into a landmine, unless you’ve already cleared the route you’re taking.

Fucking landmines…

I had a solar powered tricycle that had enough batteries to last it a night of running, was driving around (with no headlights, attempting to save power while testing the extent of power stores) ran into a landmine.

No more tricycle, no more character.

Now I use foot pedals to power my tricycle, now I can fit storage on it.

1 Like

Yea, one of the biggest downsides of having a vehicle. You either take a huge gamble, or travel only during the day. Both not very good options to me.
I have yet to base a character around a vehicle, and only used one a few times to transfer supplies from my initial shelter/base to a bunker on the other side of town.

The positives of having a vehicle far outweigh the negatives.

Car in question is actually completely fine, the windshields are on yellow, otherwise nothing’s wrong with it.
They’ll kill just about anything in the game given you can hit it, en masse, cars average at 100-300 Damage each ram, can be on multiple enemies on speeds greater than 40 MPH.

Travelling only by day in a car isn’t such a bad drawback, landmines and traps can be scouted out, and noted on the map the day before if you plan on using a car in your looting.
I’ve really had way better experiences with car than without, died much less, killed a great deal more.

They aren’t too difficult to repair, and a 2.5L Is a good mix of power and low noise, I might try double 100CC Engines to see if it’s possible to have them give more power but less overall noise, in time.
Scout by day, loot by night, long distance moving is much more viable with a car as well (better with truck, more space as standard).

Negatives are? It’s just noisy really, the maintenance of them isn’t too bad, you might end up with 2 Trunks of goods stranded if you were to break down somewhere without spare parts or gas, though that’s nothing a few back and forth trips can’t fix.
The bad vehicles are always the trucks, big noise, bikes aren’t too hot for me because they can’t ram much and offer little protection.

Headlights provide plenty of light for traveling by night time, you don’t particularly need 360° vision on roads.

That’s why I attach headlights to my pedal fortess now.
But seriously, if you can get something decently armored and have some reserve fuel on you then most everything won’t bother you. Now mind you ramming a hulk with an armored motorcycle might not work well.

I normally hack apart a car to build my tricycles. Spare wheel if one goes out, less plating needed to armor, normally well protected if built well, and when shit hits the fan and my primary engine cuts. Then my 2-3 pedal engines can save my ass.

Basically if a vehicle isn’t derpy and your smart about using it then they are rather good, especially electric vehicles

Also darkling, add all electric cars, and hybrid engines with hybrid brakes as unlimited fuel source put on the vehicle, but it should also require gas if that’s possible. I would make it require both of those fuel sources to run.

1 Like

Did anyone actually get around to linking lights to fuel drain?

Nope :stuck_out_tongue: The lighting system is basically exactly as you left it.