Tips, Tricks and Newb Questions: Reborn!

Try using the + (menu for armor layering).

I’ve done that, but all it shows me is individual values for things. Is there something I’m missing?

Different things have different coverage.
Adding up items with different coverage would be misleading.

Hmm. Perhaps there’s something I’m misunderstanding. Anyways, thank you for your answer!

Items have coverage in %
100% coverage items always work.
50% coverage only works half of the time (e.g. for every other hit on average).
Etc.
These value are item-specific.

Yes, I understand that; I am looking for armor values, not coverage %, but I suppose it is a bit more complex because of the coverage system.

Armor values, referred to ingame as protection, are displayed on the (+) armor layering menu, in the middle column. The values displayed are for each individual clothing/armor piece. The (+) menu only displays Bash, Cut, and Environmental protection

You can get more detailed information about a specific piece of equipment by selecting it in the (i)nventory menu. You can find Fire and Acid protection values here as well as Bash, Cut, or Environmental.

Protection is important to look at, but don’t forget checking some of your equipment’s other properties. Those are at the bottom of the item information from the (i)nventory. Handy info, like how cowboy hats block sunlight glare, or which clothing is water resistant.

If you’re fully kitted in some sort of rain proof gear, suddenly walking around in a thunderstorm isn’t a cause for extreme depression. If I understand correctly, running around nude in the rain also confers a morale boost.

Got it, thanks! I’ll look further into it, very helpful. <3

On a different note, I have a somewhat different question: if a zombie is burnt to death completely (leaving a burnt zombie corpse), does that remove the chance for CBM removal through dissection, as the ‘type’ of zombie corpse they are/were is changed to ‘burnt scorched zombie corpse’?

Also, if a zombie dies via fire in such a way, is it required to pulp/dismember them to prevent revivification?

The fire, if burning long enough, will consume the body that’s on the fire tile.

so if it isnt burned enough, it has a chance of reviving as an scorched/burned zombie?, or how does those spawn

Scorched versions of zombies spawn when a zombie of a normal type is burned but not to ashes and then revives. If I remember correctly there’s a burned zombie version for every type of zombie, normal, child, and hulk.

I can’t remember if they take longer or not to revive as burned but if not burned straight through they will revive as their burned versions.

2 Likes

What ^they^ said. Lol

Here’s a pretty important trick that I suspect even a lot of veteran players weren’t aware of: climbing to the rooftops reveals every overmap tile within your maximum sighting range, ignoring the usual sighting cost and LOS rules. Your sighting range also increases with altitude, so bringing some binoculars to the top of a church steeple or radio tower can reveal an enormous area (44 tile radius with 8 perception). Really useful for planning raids on a large town or for finding things hidden in the woods.

7 Likes

It’s less useful in bad weather, but a great trick nonetheless. Passable in rain, but a thunderstorm isn’t as forgiving.

Also, if you’ve ever wanted to check the weather in the regions around you, use the ESC menu, Actions Menu, Look, Look at Sky.

Alternatively you can set a keybind for it, as there isn’t one by default.

It brings up a screen like the map screen to display the weather conditions you see nearby. The uses are kinda… Limited, I guess. Depends on if weather affects your playstyle. I find it really helpful in a wilderness oriented playthrough.

3 Likes

Does anyone knows if there is a list of flags with their description/function?, and where in the json are the cigarattes found?; i want to make a mod of thorwable fire starting items. found something in the misc of itemgroups json, but there isnt any info that points that a cigarettes cant start a fire.

You can find info on most flags here:

This might also be helpful:

I’ll be honest, I’m not sure what lets lit cigarettes light things on fire. Maybe it is the LITCIG flag, but that isn’t something you should apply to regular items.

2 Likes

Yeah, I make it a habit to make my way up to the roofs of apartment towers with binoculars. Lol

I was so surprised when I first found the results.

It’s hardcoded in src/item.cpp, see lines 8088-8092.

2 Likes

Okay, I give up. The game says I can use a leather belt to stow something away. I keep trying to use it to holster a pistol, but Im apparently not able to. Just what can I store or holster?